Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Default Bed progress

Check out my king bed progress. This is by far my most difficult project.
It looks like it would be quite easy, just a bunch of rails and slats, but
she is deceiving! I am 3-weeks in and all I need to do is sand and
install the ledger and mattress support slats.

Look at the Ellis bed and tell me how close you think I got. I think I
nailed it other than the inlay on the slats.

I will post again after I finish.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Check out my king bed progress.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

Looking good. Should be very nice when done.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Looking good. Should be very nice when done.

Thank you Edwin. I forgot to mention that I still need to install the
corbels. They are already made, just need to be glued on.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check out my king bed progress.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

Looks very nice! I have to say I'm impressed that you've gotten that
far in 3 weeks - is that full time, or a spare-time-project? I made
a mission style bed that was only slightly more complicated than that
one, and it took me almost 9 months (of spare time) from start to
finish, and I was following a pre-made plan pretty closely (http://
www.woodsmith.com/plans/classic-cherry-bed/). That was my first
major project, though - the more recent rocking chair came together in
about 3 months. Recently I've just kind of been "puttering" around
the shop - made a picture frame, a router bit holder, an air cleaner,
a little box, etc., so I'm really looking forward to starting another
"real" project.
Good work anyway - keep it up!
Andy

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
Looking very good. Taking your time, doing it right.

Thanks Jimmy!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks very nice!

Thank you!

I have to say I'm impressed that you've gotten that
far in 3 weeks - is that full time, or a spare-time-project?

I work on it most of the day on the weekend and a few hours here and there
during the week in the evening.

I made a mission style bed that was only slightly more complicated than
that
one, and it took me almost 9 months (of spare time) from start to
finish, and I was following a pre-made plan pretty closely (http://
www.woodsmith.com/plans/classic-cherry-bed/).

That is a cool design. It looks a lot like this guys:
http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projec...issionbed1.htm

I thought about doing that design also, but I saw the Harvey Ellis bed in
person at Stickley and fell in love with it I pulled a Norm and measured it
up (and converted to King)!

That was my first major project, though - the more recent rocking chair
came together in
about 3 months. Recently I've just kind of been "puttering" around
the shop - made a picture frame, a router bit holder, an air cleaner,
a little box, etc., so I'm really looking forward to starting another
"real" project.
Good work anyway - keep it up!

Thank you.

Andy

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 19:40:13 -0500, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

Check out my king bed progress. This is by far my most difficult project.
It looks like it would be quite easy, just a bunch of rails and slats, but
she is deceiving! I am 3-weeks in and all I need to do is sand and
install the ledger and mattress support slats.

Look at the Ellis bed and tell me how close you think I got. I think I
nailed it other than the inlay on the slats.

I will post again after I finish.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

Looks good. Three weeks, eh? No sympathy from here (about 3 months into
the headboard on mine)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Looks good. Three weeks, eh? No sympathy from here (about 3 months into
the headboard on mine)

Thanks! You are working on another bed? I still remember your "captain's
bed", that was an awesome project.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Looks good. Three weeks, eh? No sympathy from here (about 3 months
into
the headboard on mine)

Thanks! You are working on another bed? I still remember your
"captain's bed", that was an awesome project.

Just went to your website. You are referring to the captain's bed
headboard. Looking good.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:30:23 -0500, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

Looks good. Three weeks, eh? No sympathy from here (about 3 months into
the headboard on mine)

Thanks! You are working on another bed? I still remember your "captain's
bed", that was an awesome project.

Was? That's *still* the project. I have the base and footboard done --
I'm working the headboard. Probably about 40% complete thus far on the
headboard.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Check out my king bed progress. This is by far my most difficult project.
It looks like it would be quite easy, just a bunch of rails and slats, but
she is deceiving! I am 3-weeks in and all I need to do is sand and
install the ledger and mattress support slats.

Look at the Ellis bed and tell me how close you think I got. I think I
nailed it other than the inlay on the slats.

I will post again after I finish.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Very nice Stouteman. Walnut?

How did you cut the taper on the head board and foot board vertical slats?
;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Very nice Stouteman. Walnut?

Thank you. The walnut was the wife's idea.

How did you cut the taper on the head board and foot board vertical slats?

I actually used the table saw for that, not the bandsaw.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Lookin good man! Howya gonna finish it? --dave

Thank you. I'm thinking about using minwax's wipe-on Tung-oil finish.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

| http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

So far so good! I'm eager to see the finished piece.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message

Thanks for looking!

Looking good!

Had to get my Leigh dovetail jig 72" off the ground to do the ends of a long
case a couple of weeks back and recognized the aerial act.

Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

Looking good!

Thank you!

Had to get my Leigh dovetail jig 72" off the ground to do the ends of a
long
case a couple of weeks back and recognized the aerial act.

It was a little intimidating at first, but I got use to it quick.

Ya gotta do what you gotta do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

So far so good! I'm eager to see the finished piece.

Thanks Morris! I am eager to finish it. Our box spring and mattress has
been on the floor since moving into our new house 2.5 years ago! It will
be nice to be a finally elevated.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Check out my king bed progress. This is by far my most difficult project.
It looks like it would be quite easy, just a bunch of rails and slats, but
she is deceiving! I am 3-weeks in and all I need to do is sand and
install the ledger and mattress support slats.

Look at the Ellis bed and tell me how close you think I got. I think I
nailed it other than the inlay on the slats.

I will post again after I finish.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

So what glue did you finally decide to use on this? I remember you were
worried about open time for your slat glue up. I built a cherry bed (Queen
size) where the glue up was interesting using TBII.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Check out my king bed progress. This is by far my most difficult project.
It looks like it would be quite easy, just a bunch of rails and slats, but
she is deceiving! I am 3-weeks in and all I need to do is sand and
install the ledger and mattress support slats.

Look at the Ellis bed and tell me how close you think I got. I think I
nailed it other than the inlay on the slats.

I will post again after I finish.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Ellis_Mission_Bed.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Damned nice!
Oh to have an actual workshop instead of a 2X4 basement!

--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

So what glue did you finally decide to use on this? I remember you were
worried about open time for your slat glue up. I built a cherry bed
(Queen size) where the glue up was interesting using TBII.
Cheers,
cc

TitebondIII. My wife helped me apply glue and it took us 15minutes from
glue to final clamp. It was ok.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking,rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message

TitebondIII. My wife helped me apply glue and it took us 15minutes from
glue to final clamp. It was ok.

Glad to hear it. My wife helped me on the glue up of my bed as well. She
vowed to never help me again on a glue up after that one