Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gel Stain and Final Finish(?) for Rustic Bed - Ideas Needed

I hope to be ready by this weekend to start applying finish to the rustic bed
I'm building for my daughter. Mostly quarter-sawn Douglas fir.

This is the first dry fit:

http://i.imgur.com/0uJlvUf.jpg

I think I want to use a gel stain and possible a gel final finish mainly
because wiping something "thick" onto these big pieces sounds easier than
any kind of brush on/runny finish. I'm really limited on space and spraying
is not an option.

I'm not looking to change the color too much, maybe darken it just a little
and bring out some of the red. Any and all suggestions are welcome, including
comments on stain-sealers if required and what to use as a final finish.
The simpler the better, I'm a real novice when it comes to finishing.

Thanks!