Steve Verity

Default finish- final coat of ???

I have a project that is build of stained poplar, covered with a
couple coats of wipe on poly. I'm looking for a wax, or other final
coating that can be polished or buffed to a highly glossy, smooth
finish.

Any suggestions welcome-
Thanks,
Steve V.
Rob Stokes

I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's
getting hard to come by. However, MinWax furniture polish is rapidly gaining
my respect as a worthy alternative. Like Johnson's, it's a paste wax in a
can and like Johnson's, it works best if you put it on, wait for a few
seconds and wipe it off again. Repeat as required and buff with a old piece
of terry towel. Don't let the wax dry....it causes swirls marks and is a
pain to buff out. If this happens, apply more wax over the dries stuff, rub
hard to re-constitute the dried stuff and then buff off right away.

After you've down this, let if harden fpor a couple of hours and then hit it
again with the buffing towel...

try it. you'll like it.

Good luck
Rob

--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Steve Verity" wrote in message
m...
I have a project that is build of stained poplar, covered with a
couple coats of wipe on poly. I'm looking for a wax, or other final
coating that can be polished or buffed to a highly glossy, smooth
finish.

Any suggestions welcome-
Thanks,
Steve V.

David

Not true. Lowe's is just one of the chains that currently carry tons of
SC Johnson's Paste Wax.

David

Rob Stokes wrote:
I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's
getting hard to come by.

Adam

Rob Stokes wrote:
I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's
getting hard to come by.

Fwiw, if you can't find Johnsons I've had good luck with Butcher's Bowling
Alley Wax, same process as the others.
Good luck,
Adam
Upscale

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message

After you've down this, let if harden fpor a couple of hours and then hit

it
again with the buffing towel...
try it. you'll like it.

Agreed. Easy to use, quick and satisfying results. I regularly use it on
wooden projects in my apartment where the odour of paint thinners or stain
might be offensive.

RonB

However, MinWax furniture polish is rapidly gaining
my respect as a worthy alternative. Like Johnson's, it's a paste wax in a
can and like Johnson's, it works best if you put it on, wait for a few
seconds and wipe it off again.

I'll second MinWax paste for durability and luster. A few years ago we
owned a college rental that housed our son and a tenant. The living room
carpets were needing to be replaced but when we pulled the carpet we found
60+ year old oak under it. They were dulled and carpet imprinted but in
fairly good shape. After cleaning we applied two coats of MinWax, buffing
after each. The $35 finish (cleaner, MinWax, buffer rental) looked great.
Still looked good when we sold the house about 1-1/2 years later.

With this in mind I have topped the finish of several projects with 1 or 2
coats of the wax and it adds luster and some durability. If you pick up
minor scuffs, you can usually fix with a light recoat. I don't think I
would recoat often though.

Slowhand

"Rob Stokes" wrote in message
I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's
getting hard to come by.

troll alert on g
SH

Slowhand

"David" wrote in message
Not true. Lowe's is just one of the chains that currently carry tons of
SC Johnson's Paste Wax.

Hook, line, sinker, fishing pole....
SH

David

Rob Stokes wrote:
I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's
getting hard to come by.

J T

Mon, Oct 25, 2004, 10:58pm (EDT+4) (Rob=A0Stokes)
wildly claims:
I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's
getting hard to come by. snip

On the other hand, maybe they just don't want "you" to get ahold of
any.
http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder/

I've still got most of a can, and another brand new can I got at a
yard sale for $1 (US). Hehehehe

JOAT
Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Sbtypesetter

A high gloss is achieved by grit buffing,
not with wax. Someday I'll do a finishing
video and on that video tell the truth about
wax. In the meantime, avoid the wax,
or just use it on your car.

The biggest laugh I had was from Chris Minnik (sic?) in FWW. Some pretty
erronious info on wax and silicone.

And he's a pro??
Must be part of the reason I let my subscription lapse.
-Rick