RonB

However, MinWax furniture polish is rapidly gaining
my respect as a worthy alternative. Like Johnson's, it's a paste wax in a
can and like Johnson's, it works best if you put it on, wait for a few
seconds and wipe it off again.

I'll second MinWax paste for durability and luster. A few years ago we
owned a college rental that housed our son and a tenant. The living room
carpets were needing to be replaced but when we pulled the carpet we found
60+ year old oak under it. They were dulled and carpet imprinted but in
fairly good shape. After cleaning we applied two coats of MinWax, buffing
after each. The $35 finish (cleaner, MinWax, buffer rental) looked great.
Still looked good when we sold the house about 1-1/2 years later.

With this in mind I have topped the finish of several projects with 1 or 2
coats of the wax and it adds luster and some durability. If you pick up
minor scuffs, you can usually fix with a light recoat. I don't think I
would recoat often though.