Bob

Default stain and finish

I've recently finished building a mission style desk out of
quartersawn white oak and am ready to stain/finish it. After the 100s
of hours it took to complete, the last thing I want is to screw up
this step, and I've never been particularly good at this last step, so
I'm seeking advice.

I'd like to have a deep brown color with a fairly durable finish that
is somewhat resistant to abuse, as my kids will likely work at the
desk from time to time as well. What I'm hoping that people can
provide is specific recommendations for color/brand of finishes that
have worked for them, as well as any tips on application technique
that I should (or shouldn't) use. I know there's information on these
things elsewhere, and I've read a good bit on it, but there are also
many contradictions so I'm hoping to learn from someone who has had
firsthand success. Of course, I'll be testing whatever people
recommend on scrap pieces before the final attempt.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Chris Merrill

Bob wrote:
I've recently finished building a mission style desk out of
quartersawn white oak and am ready to stain/finish it. After the 100s
of hours it took to complete, the last thing I want is to screw up
this step, and I've never been particularly good at this last step, so
I'm seeking advice.

Get Flexner's book - "Understanding Wood Finishing" - it will
answer most, if not all, of your questions.

I like Larry's recommendation for fuming - it's a great look
with mission styles. However, wax provides absolutely no
protection against daily wear and tear. Shellac, laquer or
varnish will protect the piece for years to come.

************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 01:16:49 GMT, Chris Merrill
pixelated:

I like Larry's recommendation for fuming - it's a great look
with mission styles. However, wax provides absolutely no
protection against daily wear and tear. Shellac, laquer or
varnish will protect the piece for years to come.

Sir, please show me a horribly worn piece of furniture
made of oak. C'mon, oak doesn't "wear". Crikey!

- Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design
- EXhaled.- * http://www.diversify.com
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:55:53 GMT, Chris Merrill
pixelated:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Sir, please show me a horribly worn piece of furniture
made of oak. C'mon, oak doesn't "wear". Crikey!

good point!

However, I do have several old oak chairs that have worn through
the finish and the stain, though...and it looks horrible.

Search the Wreck archives for tests the guys here have done.
Fuming works WAY deeper than stain. And it prevents the
worn-thru look stain has a month after it's done. Feh!

- Clinton never - * Wondrous Website Design
- EXhaled.- * http://www.diversify.com

What finish for an oak porch swing? Daryl Drome Woodworking 6 August 21st 03 01:28 AM
Applying Stain BUB 209 Woodworking 19 July 31st 03 09:53 AM
hand rubbed finish on oak veneered plywood Charlie Self Woodworking 1 July 23rd 03 12:56 PM