Chris Merrill

Default stain and finish

Bob wrote:
I've recently finished building a mission style desk out of
quartersawn white oak and am ready to stain/finish it. After the 100s
of hours it took to complete, the last thing I want is to screw up
this step, and I've never been particularly good at this last step, so
I'm seeking advice.

Get Flexner's book - "Understanding Wood Finishing" - it will
answer most, if not all, of your questions.

I like Larry's recommendation for fuming - it's a great look
with mission styles. However, wax provides absolutely no
protection against daily wear and tear. Shellac, laquer or
varnish will protect the piece for years to come.

Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)