Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortising and tenoning doors and windows

The time has come to start fixing windows and doors. Some are coming
apart, some are rotting, some are just busted (it's amazing how much
damage an ice dam falling 20 feet onto a window air conditioner can do).

The house has 15 double-hung windows, three exterior doors, and 6
interior doors. The garage adds two windows and three doors (excluding
the main garage door).

So this works out if I've calculated correctly, to 17 windows and 12
doors. Each window and six of the doors will need a storm window or
storm door and a screen.

Doing all this right and old-school, I figure that it's going to add up
to something like 484 mortise and tenon joints.

So, the question is what's the best way to approach those joints. Note
that I'm 63 and retirement isn't going to happen any time soon so this
all has to fit around work and I'm not as spry as I used to be--doing it
all with a Japanese saw and a good set of chisels, while it would be
good for the soul, isn't going to fit the schedule (I'd like to have it
all done before I'm dead).

Now, existing equipment--router table with 3 HP router and Incra jig.
10" Radial Arm Saw. 10" table saw. 14" extended band saw. Radial
drill press. Oscillating belt sander. 1.5 hp compressor. Gross
overkill dust collector. Portable tools--circular saw, jigsaw, Sawzall,
belt, pad, and random orbit sanders, 1/2" drill, electric impact driver.
Assorted chisels, saws, planes, and other hand tools. Bench with
pattern vise.

Budget. Andersons from Home Depot are going to cost me around $17,000
plus installation. I figure that using cypress and double-glazed glass
assemblies purchased online for the windows and cypress and Lexan for
the storms, I'm at about 12K with a reasonable allowance for waste and
incidentals. That means that I can put 5K into tooling and still be
ahead and with IMO better quality and far far greater satisfaction.

I see the options as:
Big Domino
Little Domino
Leigh FMT Pro
Leigh FMT Super
Horizontal Router Table (MLCS or similar)
Horizontal Boring Machine (Grizzly G0540 or similar)
Shop made mortising and tenoning jigs specific to the required
cuts
Something else I haven't thought of

Or possibly more than one of the above.

So, thoughts?