Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tough weatherproof coating on Poplar?

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Madison-Mill...ctual-72-in-L-
x-1-375-in-dia/3852041

I am going to use a piece of that for my tricycle axle.

What should I coat it with to prevent damage from anything?

I would use superglue but that is very expensive for a significant area.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 2:04:30 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:

I am going to use a piece of that for my tricycle axle.

What should I coat it with to prevent damage from anything?

Dip it in hot bee's wax and slide it inside a PVC pipe.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I am going to use a piece of that for my tricycle axle. What should I
coat it with to prevent damage from anything?

Dip it in hot bee's wax and slide it inside a PVC pipe.

It gets shoved through the bottom bracket hole of a bicycle. After
shaving some diameter off of the dowel using a crude dowel spinning
device and course sandpaper, it is a tight fit.

I would like to use glue if there is a wood glue that is genuinely
waterproof. Guerrilla glue probably will not work because it expands. I
will look around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 7:09:04 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Sonny wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I am going to use a piece of that for my tricycle axle. What should I
coat it with to prevent damage from anything?

Dip it in hot bee's wax and slide it inside a PVC pipe.

It gets shoved through the bottom bracket hole of a bicycle. After
shaving some diameter off of the dowel using a crude dowel spinning
device and course sandpaper, it is a tight fit.

I would like to use glue if there is a wood glue that is genuinely
waterproof. Guerrilla glue probably will not work because it expands. I
will look around.

2 part epoxy, like West Systems. They use it on boats, I've used it on Soap Box Derby cars.
Never had a problem with it getting wet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Madison-Mill...ctual-72-in-L-
x-1-375-in-dia/3852041

I am going to use a piece of that for my tricycle axle.

What should I coat it with to prevent damage from anything?

I would use superglue but that is very expensive for a significant area.

Thanks.

Do you think poplar will be strong/ hard enough?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 12:26:44 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
John Doe wrote:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Madison-Mill...ctual-72-in-L-
x-1-375-in-dia/3852041

I am going to use a piece of that for my tricycle axle.

What should I coat it with to prevent damage from anything?

I would use superglue but that is very expensive for a significant area.

Thanks.

Do you think poplar will be strong/ hard enough?

I was going to ask that question, but I decided he knew what he was doing,
so I didn't.

Speaking of dowels, last week I bought a 36" length of 5/8" dowel stock,
labeled as Beech, from a local crafts store. It seemed really light
compared to a short length of of hardwood dowel that I had lying around so
I did not feel confident in using it.

The next day I went to local lumber yard and looked at their 5/8" dowel
stock, also labeled as Beech. It looked and felt much sturdier. I
mentioned that to one of the staff and she said that lots of stores are
importing Beech dowels from China and it's pure crap.

Sure enough, I went home and right there on the bar code label of the
craft store product was the word "China". I weighed both pieces and the
lumber yard dowel was almost 20% heavier than the crafts store dowel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:
[...]

IIRC most common dowel stock is maple, maybe birch.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2016 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Speaking of dowels, last week I bought a 36" length of 5/8" dowel stock,
labeled as Beech, from a local crafts store. It seemed really light
compared to a short length of of hardwood dowel that I had lying around so
I did not feel confident in using it.

The next day I went to local lumber yard and looked at their 5/8" dowel
stock, also labeled as Beech. It looked and felt much sturdier. I
mentioned that to one of the staff and she said that lots of stores are
importing Beech dowels from China and it's pure crap.

Sure enough, I went home and right there on the bar code label of the
craft store product was the word "China". I weighed both pieces and the
lumber yard dowel was almost 20% heavier than the crafts store dowel.

And yet we were recently informed hereabouts just how advanced and
upright the Chinese were in their dealings with us.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 1:00:05 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Well, I'm not defending the Chinese, but AISYK there are different
species of Beech, some of which are harder than others.

The Chinese aren't wrong in labeling the dowel stock as Beech although
it wouldn't be good for anything other than light crafts. In this case,
I'd actually place more "blame" on the craft store for selling the
crappy Beech for the same price as the lumber yard sells the better
stuff. I don't know their cost, but I'd guess the craft store made more
profit than the lumber yard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:51:52 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I have a set of bed sheets made from beech.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

During the summer I go to the beech.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2016 7:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

My neighbor is a son of a beech.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

We have a bunch of beach towels, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 19:32:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Seedlings and an old tree in the forest:

Seedling: "Am I a beech or a birch?"
Old tree: "You're not a beech or a birch. Your mother was the best
piece of ash I've had."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 8:51:22 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:
[...]

All kidding aside, I have been listening to podcasts from a show called
RadioLab out of NYC. Per Wikipedia, "the show focuses on topics of a
scientific and philosophical nature." They have distinct audio style,
intermixing the voices of the hosts, the interviewees, sound effects, etc.

This podcast, "From Tree To Shining Tree", discusses the relationship
between trees in a forest, including how different species interact both
underground and within their cell structures.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/from-t...-shining-tree/

From the podcast site:

"In this story, a dog introduces us to a strange creature that burrows
beneath forests, building an underground network where deals are made and
lives are saved (and lost) in a complex web of friendships, rivalries, and
business relations. Its a network that scientists are only just beginning
to untangle and map, and its not only turning our understanding of forests
upside down, its leading some researchers to rethink what it means to be
intelligent."

OK, that's the rec.woodworking relate. Another very interesting podcast is
this one:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/the_buried_bodies_case/

"This episode we consider a string of barbaric crimes by a hated man, and
the attorney who, when called to defend him, also wound up defending a core
principle of our legal system. When Frank Armani learned his clients most
gruesome secrets, he made a morally startling decision that stunned the world
and goes to the heart of what it means to be a defense attorney - how far
should lawyers go to provide the best defense to the worst people?"

This case is now a major part of any ethics course taught in law school.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

IMHO, I think you would be better served using a piece of white oak, or even
mahogany. Both woods will resist decay much better than poplar. IME, poplar
does not survive well in the great outdoors based on some camp gear I made 30
years ago. It literally fell apart after a few years hard use. I stored it
outdoors under a roof, but the high humidity caused fungi and rot. SYP is more
rot resistant than poplar.