Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tough white coating on old screwdriver handles

Hello,

Couldn't find anything about this, so thought I'd ask here.

I have quite a few old screwdrivers that have been stored in metal
toolboxes in a damp, but not wet, basement. Over the years I've
noticed a tough, white coating appear on the handles of some of the
oldest screwdrivers.

Is this some sort of mildew, or a chemical separation of the plastic
of the handles, or...?

I've found it pretty difficult to clean this stuff off - is there a
particular solvent that would be best to use?

Thanks for any info...
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mr. Land wrote:
I have quite a few old screwdrivers that have been stored in metal
toolboxes in a damp, but not wet, basement. Over the years I've
noticed a tough, white coating appear on the handles of some of the
oldest screwdrivers.

Is this some sort of mildew, or a chemical separation of the plastic
of the handles, or...?

If they're very old, I'd expect it is simply oxidation of the plastic.
Not much can do about it if so...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would agree that it is simple deterioration of the plastic. To
"spruce them up," you might see if the "Fusion" plastic paint in some
suitable color might help. Make sure to get all the grease off -- a
good detergent, or run them through the dishwasher (the chief domestic
engineer might not be pleased, however).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 27, 12:28*pm, "Mr. Land" wrote:
Hello,

Couldn't find anything about this, so thought I'd ask here.

I have quite a few old screwdrivers that have been stored in metal
toolboxes in a damp, but not wet, basement. *Over the years I've
noticed a tough, white coating appear on the handles of some of the
oldest screwdrivers.

Is this some sort of mildew, or a chemical separation of the plastic
of the handles, or...?

I've found it pretty difficult to clean this stuff off - is there a
particular solvent that would be best to use?

Thanks for any info...

Older cellulose acetate/butyrate plastics would absorb a bit of
moisture and 'whiten'. When thoroughly dried, the effect disappeared.
Try drying them out by exposure to a modest temperature of maybe 140 F
or so for a while, That should not distort the plastic and ought to
speed up any moisture migration. Worth a try.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
I would agree that it is simple deterioration of the plastic. To
"spruce them up," you might see if the "Fusion" plastic paint in some
suitable color might help. Make sure to get all the grease off -- a
good detergent, or run them through the dishwasher (the chief domestic
engineer might not be pleased, however).

Wipe them down with acetone, but don't soak them in it. That is how they
pretty up screwdrivers in the factory before shipping.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:36:57 GMT, aemeijers wrote:
professorpaul wrote:
I would agree that it is simple deterioration of the plastic. To
"spruce them up," you might see if the "Fusion" plastic paint in some
suitable color might help. Make sure to get all the grease off -- a
good detergent, or run them through the dishwasher (the chief domestic
engineer might not be pleased, however).

Wipe them down with acetone, but don't soak them in it. That is how they
pretty up screwdrivers in the factory before shipping.

Be *very* carefull with acetone. It temporarily disolves plastic and
turns plastic to goo. If you use a flash coating to "spruce it up" be
very carefull not to touch it while it is in the goo state. Touch it
and one's fingerprint will become a permenant feature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the replies, folks. Thought I had a
super-fungus rampant in my toolboxes. Cheers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dpb, dr007 wrote:
none wrote:

If they're very old, I'd expect it is simply oxidation of the plastic.
Not much can do about it if so...
--

Use your propane or MAPP torch on it. Be gentle at first until you get
the feel.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...es-321559-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:52:25 +0000, dr007
wrote:

replying to dpb, dr007 wrote:
none wrote:

If they're very old, I'd expect it is simply oxidation of the plastic.
Not much can do about it if so...

fI don't think oxidation is the right word, but yes, it comes from the
plastic itself. Maybe you could paint the handles with lacquer or
something. I have the same problem with specific tools, not
necessarily old ones, and once I found out it wasn't mold, I stopped
worrying about it.
--

Use your propane or MAPP torch on it. Be gentle at first until you get
the feel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 1:28:59 PM UTC-4, Mr. Land wrote:
Hello,

Couldn't find anything about this, so thought I'd ask here.

I have quite a few old screwdrivers that have been stored in metal
toolboxes in a damp, but not wet, basement. Over the years I've
noticed a tough, white coating appear on the handles of some of the
oldest screwdrivers.

Is this some sort of mildew, or a chemical separation of the plastic
of the handles, or...?

I've found it pretty difficult to clean this stuff off - is there a
particular solvent that would be best to use?

Thanks for any info...

I don't know the cause of this problem, but the handles do clean up nicely with a scotch pad and some water. I found the coating comes off very easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 14:06:23 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

I don't know the cause of this problem, but the handles do clean up nicely with a scotch pad and some water. I found the coating comes off very easily.

I am willing to bet Mr. Land found the answer about eight years ago
right after he posted his question. Sheesh.

I wonder is this web forum poster has figured how to get the stink off
of Chinese screwdriver plastic handles, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2015 5:23 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:44:39 -0700, Oren wrote:

I wonder is this web forum poster has figured how to get the stink off
of Chinese screwdriver plastic handles, too.

Probably not.

My harbor Freight impact screw driver
still stinks, year later.

--