Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Tough white coating on old screwdriver handles

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:42:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 1:28:59 PM UTC-4, Mr. Land wrote:
Hello,

Couldn't find anything about this, so thought I'd ask here.

I have quite a few old screwdrivers that have been stored in metal
toolboxes in a damp, but not wet, basement. Over the years I've
noticed a tough, white coating appear on the handles of some of the
oldest screwdrivers.

Is this some sort of mildew, or a chemical separation of the plastic
of the handles, or...?

I've found it pretty difficult to clean this stuff off - is there a
particular solvent that would be best to use?

Thanks for any info...

I don't know the cause of this problem, but the handles do clean up nicely with a scotch pad and some water. I found the coating comes off very easily.

But he said the coating was tough, so I guess he knows HIS coating
doesn't come off easily.