Posted to rec.woodworking

Default is poplar a strong enough wood to support a large granite countertop(poplar corbels)?

is poplar a strong enough wood to support a large granite countertop? there would be 3 corbels ...each 8x145/32x3
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:35:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
is poplar a strong enough wood to support a large granite countertop? there would be 3 corbels ...each 8x145/32x3

I don't understand, comprehend, those corbel measurements. 145/32 = 4.53. With that, your figures are 8X4.5X3. That size corbel won't support much at all, no matter what wood it's made of.

Try this for some measuring assistance.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/iron-...-questions.pdf

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 9:24:57 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:35:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
is poplar a strong enough wood to support a large granite countertop? there would be 3 corbels ...each 8x145/32x3

I don't understand, comprehend, those corbel measurements. 145/32 = 4.53. With that, your figures are 8X4.5X3. That size corbel won't support much at all, no matter what wood it's made of.

Try this for some measuring assistance.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/iron-...-questions.pdf

Sonny

8"across top 14 5/32 down the side 3" thick
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 8:29:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:

is poplar a strong enough wood to support a large granite countertop?

8"across top 14 5/32 down the side 3" thick

An average countertop is usually about 25" deep. I wouldn't trust 10, of that size corbel, to support a countertop of 6' length or more.

What's the size and thickness of the countertop?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
is poplar a strong enough wood to support a large granite countertop?
there would be 3 corbels ...each 8x145/32x3

Yes, it is. The question you should be asking is how to properly assemble
the support.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We don't know anything about the counter/countertop, other than the granite top is large. The way Denise asked the question, seems only the corbels are supporting the granite.

Is one long edge, of the countertop, butted against a wall and only the corbels supporting the whole top?

Is the countertop supported in its middle, by a "half-wall", with corbels under each extending/overhanging lip/outer edge? This configuration may/would imply 3 corbels on each side of the wall.

Is one long edge, of the countertop, supported by a half-wall, with corbels supporting the remainer of the width of the granite?

A half wall, if applicable, how wide is the wall?

Some other configuration?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 8:23:18 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
We don't know anything about the counter/countertop, other than the granite top is large.

the less-than-specific description of a "large" counter top.

I used to work for a (former) Fortune 500 company and attend a lot meetings
with the head of our Global IT Department. If she asked you what something
would cost or how long it would take and you answered "Oh, it won't cost much"
or "That is going to take a long time", the rest of us would cringe, sit back
and watch the show.

"I can not plan a budget around "It won't cost much". I can not assign
resources based on an estimate of "a long time". I need actual numbers.
Either refine your answers at this time or tell me when I can expect an
answer that I can actually use."

Assuming you hadn't ****ed her off before, you usually had one more chance
to provide a detailed estimate, although I have seen project managers be
replaced even after one non-nonchalant utterance of "Oh, not too much".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/2016 8:29 PM, wrote:

8"across top 14 5/32 down the side 3" thick

Corbels are most often used to support the cantilevered (overhang)
portion of counter tops.

IMPORTANT: The cantilevered/overhang portion of a counter top is
generally 1/3rd of the total depth of the material ... IOW 24" of
granite supported by a cabinet or island, with a 12" cantilevered
overhang, and depending upon the thickness of the material, is
acceptable for most counter top material.

Granite in particular, and depending upon the thickness and type, can
generally have a overhang (cantilevered part) of 12" without any
support, on average.

So, as long as you are within the 2/3rd's supported - 1/3rd overhang
rule, most any corbel will be basically decorative, and not structural.

So yes, poplar should do just fine in that situation.

Wooden corbels are most often made of poplar these days, so you should
be fine ... I use poplar to make my own corbels for granite counter tops
all the time:

https://photos.google.com/search/cor...xAAPLABwUQHDCa

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 9:18:58 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Assuming you hadn't ****ed her off before, you usually had one more chance
to provide a detailed estimate, although I have seen project managers be
replaced even after one non-nonchalant utterance of "Oh, not too much".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Another option for the corbels, if she was thinking solid one-piece of wood, is to make the corbels using a ply technique. The outer plies with the grain running vertical and the inner ply with the grain running lateral.

Three ply corbel makeup: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream
and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Wooden corbels are most often made of poplar these days, so you should
be fine ... I use poplar to make my own corbels for granite counter tops
all the time:

https://photos.google.com/search/cor...xAAPLABwUQHDCa

Your link requires a login Karl.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/14/2016 11:08 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Wooden corbels are most often made of poplar these days, so you should
be fine ... I use poplar to make my own corbels for granite counter tops
all the time:

https://photos.google.com/search/cor...xAAPLABwUQHDCa

Your link requires a login Karl.

Yup something is wrong there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Wooden corbels are most often made of poplar these days, so you should
be fine ... I use poplar to make my own corbels for granite counter tops
all the time:

https://photos.google.com/search/cor...xAAPLABwUQHDCa

Your link requires a login Karl.

Yup something is wrong there.

Thanks, Google is being evil...

https://goo.gl/photos/atuKqE59gARdnhS76

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Large corbels and dentils G[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 12 April 17th 08 06:28 PM
Joining Poplar and Red Oak - wood movement Jeff Woodworking 4 April 13th 07 02:52 PM
Poplar wood JAV Woodworking 4 July 20th 06 10:40 PM
poplar wood strong enough for hanging? [email protected] Woodworking 5 June 7th 06 01:37 AM
TORTURE RACKS! What's the Best wood for making them? Cheney says Oak, CIA Recommends Teak, Bush says Poplar 199.44.49.11 Woodworking 0 November 18th 05 01:30 AM