Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buckled Veener

Hi Group, Looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on top of a
dresser. The veneer that I planning on using is buckled. How does one
get it to lie flat when installing with contact cement? Also it's going
to take two pieces. What's the best way to get a barely visible seam
where they're joined? Thanks, Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:
Hi Group, Looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on top of a
dresser. snip

You already received some good replies to this post, yes?

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in news:nm3s5802h75
@news3.newsguy.com:

James wrote:
Hi Group, Looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on top of a
dresser. snip

You already received some good replies to this post, yes?

It's possible that whatever server he's using is slow,
and the replies hadn't appeared yet (or his original
post, leading him to think it hadn't gone thru).

Anyway, to the question at hand: are we talking about
putting new veneer on top of a new dresser, or new
veneer on top of an existing dresser, or trying to put
existing veneer back onto an existing dresser?

If it's the last case, trying to re-adhere existing
veneer that has come unstuck and warped, I think he's
doomed to failure. Old veneer is very brittle, I doubt
the trick of running a steam iron over it will work.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:

Hi Group, Looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on top of a
dresser. The veneer that I planning on using is buckled. How does one
get it to lie flat when installing with contact cement? Also it's
going to take two pieces. What's the best way to get a barely visible
seam where they're joined? Thanks, Jim

Sorry about the double post. I was switching newsgroup servers. Thanks
for the answers. I'll check out some videos. Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:
Hi Group, Looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on top of a
dresser. snip

You already received some good replies to this post, yes?

It's possible that whatever server he's using is slow,
and the replies hadn't appeared yet (or his original
post, leading him to think it hadn't gone thru).

Anyway, to the question at hand: are we talking about
putting new veneer on top of a new dresser, or new
veneer on top of an existing dresser, or trying to put
existing veneer back onto an existing dresser?

If it's the last case, trying to re-adhere existing
veneer that has come unstuck and warped, I think he's
doomed to failure. Old veneer is very brittle, I doubt
the trick of running a steam iron over it will work.

John

WE removed the old veneer which was pretty badly damaged and was going
to replace it with some that I'm looking at on evil-bay which happens
to be buckled. Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:

James wrote:

Hi Group, Looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on top of a
dresser. The veneer that I planning on using is buckled. How does
one get it to lie flat when installing with contact cement? Also
it's going to take two pieces. What's the best way to get a barely
visible seam where they're joined? Thanks, Jim

Sorry about the double post. I was switching newsgroup servers. Thanks
for the answers. I'll check out some videos. Jim

WE lost our Earthlink account so lost access to their news server. The
first one I switched to wouldn't allow posts so switched another one
which did allow me to post so I'm good again. Jim

Buckled Veneer James[_41_] Woodworking 4 July 13th 16 01:49 AM
Witex laminate floor buckled in kitchen [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 2nd 07 08:08 AM