Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buckled Veneer

Hi Group, I'm looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on the top of a
dresser. How does one get it to lay flat when installing with contact
cement. Also what's the best way to get a barely visible seam when the
to pieces are joined. Thanks, Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

James writes:
Hi Group, I'm looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on the top of a
dresser. How does one get it to lay flat when installing with contact
cement. Also what's the best way to get a barely visible seam when the
to pieces are joined. Thanks, Jim

(1) Moisten, then lightly iron the veneer.
(2) Use veneer tape
(3) Use hide glue
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2016 12:16 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
James writes:
Hi Group, I'm looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on the top of a
dresser. How does one get it to lay flat when installing with contact
cement. Also what's the best way to get a barely visible seam when the
to pieces are joined. Thanks, Jim

(1) Moisten, then lightly iron the veneer.
(2) Use veneer tape
(3) Use hide glue

As Scott said but didn't elaborate on. you joint the edges of the veneer
with a veneer saw, then tape them together.
Contact cement is not recommended.

You can hit the veneer with water (sprayer ) and glycerin to help
achieve a flat veneer.

When working with hide glue (check out Browns liquid hide glue) a
veneering hammer is recommended. W/ Browns, you don't have the heat, so
you may wish to use ply and some heavy weights on top to hold it while
it cures. use some wax paper under the ply to prevent the wood from
sticking.

Go watch some Youtube videos.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 8:41:20 AM UTC-7, James wrote:
Hi Group, I'm looking to put some Birdseye Maple veneer on the top of a
dresser. How does one get it to lay flat when installing with contact
cement. Also what's the best way to get a barely visible seam when the
to pieces are joined. Thanks, Jim

Joining can be done before applying, in fact you might want to paste a paper layer
over the good face. I've used contact cement for edging plywood, but it might not
work as well for a large panel (lumps, you know).

Test on scraps, first.
Posted to rec.woodworking

James writes:
[...]

Just a thought (probably not a very good one), what about photographic
dry mounting paper? It probably wouldn't do well with moisture but
veneer won't either.