Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Whew! I dodged the bullet!

My Delta 2 bag dust collector has been noticeably poor at picking up
dust lately. The ductwork was clean. I have a home made chip
separator but I checked the vanes and they were clean. Both bags were
clogged with dust. I beat them with no change in suction.
This morning while my bride was still asleep I took the bags off and
shook everything off that would shake off, brought them in and ran
them through the washer and the dryer. I believe in a variant of
"Don't Ask--Don't Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say no".
They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the dust
collector works like a new one again.
--
GW Ross

How many of you believe in
telekinesis? Raise MY hand!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2016 4:29 PM, G. Ross wrote:
My Delta 2 bag dust collector has been noticeably poor at picking up
dust lately. The ductwork was clean. I have a home made chip separator
but I checked the vanes and they were clean. Both bags were clogged
with dust. I beat them with no change in suction.
This morning while my bride was still asleep I took the bags off and
shook everything off that would shake off, brought them in and ran them
through the washer and the dryer. I believe in a variant of "Don't
Ask--Don't Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say no".
They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the dust
collector works like a new one again.

Good for you! ;~)

I have a single pleated filter and it is going on 8 years old. I wonder
how long those last. I probably suck up 100 gallons of dust a year with
that unit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:29:07 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

My Delta 2 bag dust collector has been noticeably poor at picking up
dust lately. The ductwork was clean. I have a home made chip
separator but I checked the vanes and they were clean. Both bags were
clogged with dust. I beat them with no change in suction.
This morning while my bride was still asleep I took the bags off and
shook everything off that would shake off, brought them in and ran
them through the washer and the dryer. I believe in a variant of
"Don't Ask--Don't Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say no".
They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the dust
collector works like a new one again.

You're a braver man than I. I don't touch those things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:

"Don't Ask--Don't Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say
no". They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the

are you saying you dodged her bullet or the bullet of spending money
on repairs for the collector

if you mean her bullet you should remain vigilant for a few more
days

they have ways of finding out you know

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lets see.

Invert bag inside out. under it is a propane torch gassing for a
second. Then insert with protection...danger... and poof the dirt is
blown out from the outside of the bag blowing it the way it came in.

Go much gas and you get to buy a new bag. Or your beloved needs to find
a new wood worker.

Martin

On 7/11/2016 4:29 PM, G. Ross wrote:
My Delta 2 bag dust collector has been noticeably poor at picking up
dust lately. The ductwork was clean. I have a home made chip separator
but I checked the vanes and they were clean. Both bags were clogged
with dust. I beat them with no change in suction.
This morning while my bride was still asleep I took the bags off and
shook everything off that would shake off, brought them in and ran them
through the washer and the dryer. I believe in a variant of "Don't
Ask--Don't Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say no".
They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the dust
collector works like a new one again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 7:16:22 PM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Lets see.

Invert bag inside out. under it is a propane torch gassing for a
second. Then insert with protection...danger... and poof the dirt is
blown out from the outside of the bag blowing it the way it came in.

Go much gas and you get to buy a new bag. Or your beloved needs to find
a new wood worker.

Martin

And take a video of this procedure... I wanna see the results.
*AKA, like seating, inflating a tractor tire.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote in message
My Delta 2 bag dust collector has been noticeably poor at picking up dust
lately. The ductwork was clean. I have a home made chip separator but I
checked the vanes and they were clean. Both bags were clogged with dust.
I beat them with no change in suction.
This morning while my bride was still asleep I took the bags off and shook
everything off that would shake off, brought them in and ran them through
the washer and the dryer. I believe in a variant of "Don't Ask--Don't
Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say no".
They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the dust
collector works like a new one again.
--

Careful there Ross. If the missus finds out, you will be on laundry
detail!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 4:29:16 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
My Delta 2 bag dust collector has been noticeably poor at picking up
dust lately. The ductwork was clean. I have a home made chip
separator but I checked the vanes and they were clean. Both bags were
clogged with dust. I beat them with no change in suction.
This morning while my bride was still asleep I took the bags off and
shook everything off that would shake off, brought them in and ran
them through the washer and the dryer. I believe in a variant of
"Don't Ask--Don't Tell". It is simply "Don't Ask, and she can't say no".
They came out like new with no damage to the appliances and the dust
collector works like a new one again.
--
GW Ross

How many of you believe in
telekinesis? Raise MY hand!

I know not everyone can do it, but IF you can, duct your DC outside the shop and have it discharge in a small enclosure, with enough space at the bottom to keep back pressure from cutting down on the CFM. Even having the pipe shoot into a 39gal trash can, with a good 8-10 separation between the pipe and the top of the trash can, will give you quite a bit of back pressure, hence cutting down on the CFM
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

If I was out in the country I would just take the bags off and let it
go. But I have neighbors and keep the bags partly to keep the dust
down outside and partly to help muffle the sound. The whole unit is
outside the shop. I can't imagine having one inside with that whine.

--
GW Ross

In case of emergency, break glass.
Scream. Bleed to death.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 18:56:11 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

The problem with venting outside that you'll suck out the good air
(heated or air conditioned) and it'll be replaced with the bad
(hot/humid or cold). I thought about putting the DC in a shed but
decided that it was a really bad idea. I do have it in the next room,
though it's still part of the shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/13/2016 5:56 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Does yours actually whine? No doubt, but mine often runs constantly
between on and offs of the equipment. While not quiet it is quieter
than one of my Home Depot fans. And no whine.

What brand is yours?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Read the second word in my original post---Delta. I had a Jet when I
lived in Texas and gave it to my brother when we moved. He later
bought the Delta for me. They were identical as far as I could tell.

--
GW Ross

Welcome back to square one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Mine is a Jet, pleated filter 1100CFM. Did you Jet whine?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Not quite like a jet plane taking off, but uncomfortable to be near.
Only had one neighbor complain. She's dead now.

--
GW Ross

Welcome back to square one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet was heard to mutter:

Does yours actually whine? No doubt, but mine often runs constantly
between on and offs of the equipment. While not quiet it is quieter
than one of my Home Depot fans. And no whine.

I seem to have lost track of the conversation here. Are you talking
about the dust collector or wife?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 12:19:17 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet was heard to mutter:

Does yours actually whine? No doubt, but mine often runs constantly
between on and offs of the equipment. While not quiet it is quieter
than one of my Home Depot fans. And no whine.

I seem to have lost track of the conversation here. Are you talking
about the dust collector or wife?

Dust collectors whine but they don't get mad. More importantly, they
don't get even.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Shockingly loud. I often forget that mine is running although it is not
quiet but not uncomfortable at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Mine is just annoying, nothing worse. It's certainly not going to kill
a neighbor! ;-)

It's annoying enough that I have an RF switch glue to a magnet that I
stick to the side of the table, so it's in easy reach. I don't shut it
off between cuts but I will if I have to change the setup.

O/T: Dodged A Bullet Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 61 January 1st 15 07:18 PM
Whew! Tim Wescott Metalworking 8 March 6th 11 01:48 PM
Whew! KD7HB Metalworking 0 March 5th 11 07:09 PM
O/T: Whew It's Toasty Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 35 September 30th 10 04:44 AM
Dodged a Bullet Last Night GarageWoodworks Woodworking 40 March 31st 10 05:34 PM