Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding tree rings for viewing under a microscope

I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the end grain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest finish under this situation?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:19:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the end grain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest finish under this situation?

Have you tried 3M Wet or Dry and use turpentine? Never did it, but came to mind...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:26:32 PM UTC-4, Bob Villa wrote:
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:19:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the end grain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest finish under this situation?

Have you tried 3M Wet or Dry and use turpentine? Never did it, but came to mind...

I have only tried gator
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:26:32 PM UTC-4, Bob Villa wrote:
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:19:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the end grain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest finish under this situation?

Have you tried 3M Wet or Dry and use turpentine? Never did it, but came to mind...

What is turpentine used for?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:05:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 9:26:32 PM UTC-4, Bob Villa wrote:
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:19:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the end grain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels less smooth.. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide the cleanest finish under this situation?

Have you tried 3M Wet or Dry and use turpentine? Never did it, but came to mind...

What is turpentine used for?

It keeps the sandpaper cleaner and "cuts" better than being dry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 3:49:41 AM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:

Have no fear. While you can't just buy a cheap plane and use it out-of-the-box, a variety
of useful planes are available, and a simple whetstone (maybe an angle guide, too) is
all it takes to put a fine edge on it. The small amount of wood you want to remove (a few
cubic centimeters) will make crumbs if your edge is too dull, shavings if it's sharp enough.
And clean enough (gotta keep the sole and edge free of sap).

Agreed. A reasonable, yet not terribly expensive, plane is likely all you need. It's not that hard to hone the iron (after initial sharpening), with 1000, 2000, 3000 grit sand paper.

I assume your core sample is greem wood, or has some higher moisture content, than "typical(?) dried wood", hence that moisture is contributing to the clogging of your sand paper. If this is the case, then, yeah, 'most any sand paper will likely clog up.

As Karl mentioned, on the other thread, try a card/cabinet scraper. For that small of surface width, a well honed (hunting, Buck, butcher's) knife blade can be used as a card scraper.

I don't want to sound rude, but it seems you've been dealing with this issue for some time. Another option is to find a woodworker, with some decent hand planes, in your area, and ask for some assistance. Most woodworkers I know (as posters, here) would be happy to help, probably at no cost.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-06-16 01:19:48 +0000,
said:

I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the
end grain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use
220, 320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The
only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very
quickly and even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper
already feels less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or
type of sandpaper I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the
longest and provide the cleanest finish under this situation?

Why not try a plane?
CP

I have thought of this but realized that it would require an excessive amount sharpening and money to be worth the effort.

There is a whole field of study (dendrochronology) that create
and analyze cores. Why not call up the local university and
ask them? Or stop by the university library and check out a book
on dendrochronology and read up on how the professionals analyze
cores.

http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/principles.htm
http://web.utk.edu/~grissino/supplies.htm

I would expect that a sufficiently sharp coring tool will create
a burnished surface sufficient to count the rings, no sanding required.

Almost every university uses sanpaper to surface the cores. The surface must be flat in order to count the rings; an increment borer produces a rounded surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 6:45:42 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
[...]

My core samples are all dry wood. None of the universities use planers but use sandpaper instead which suggests that maybe a planer would not work as well on surfacing the cores to provide a smooth enough surface to count the tree rings.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

There is an organization that uses a "core microtome" to surface cores using BA-50 NT cutter blades. The only problem is that they can only surface one or two samples before the blade becomes dull and they have to replace it. Would not the same thing happen with a hand plane or is the steel of a better quality?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 10:10:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:

There is an organization that uses a "core microtome" to surface cores using BA-50 NT cutter blades. The only problem is that they can only surface one or two samples before the blade becomes dull and they have to replace it. Would not the same thing happen with a hand plane or is the steel of a better quality?

A sharp hand plane should do well. That's what planes are for, slicing wood.

Those NT cutter blades are cheap. Replacing them should be no problem. Even surgical scalpel blades need to be changed now and then. A straight edged carving chisel blade or a paring chisel is (or can be) razor sharp, also, and might be cheaper than a hand plane.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

After you have sanded to a fine grit, what did you do to remove the residual
dust? Try washing with mineral spirits and - when dry - wiping with a
microfiber cloth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/16/2016 5:45 AM, Sonny wrote:
As Karl mentioned, on the other thread, try a card/cabinet scraper. For that small of surface width, a well honed (hunting, Buck, butcher's) knife blade can be used as a card scraper.

I have actually used a Hyde scraper (with a new blade) to make half
round stock out of off-the-shelf, wooden dowel rods.

Amazing how quickly it worked.

While the grain direction is different with a tree ring core, and as
long as it has been dried, I would at least try a careful application of
a properly scrapper, it might now work with some woods.

If that didn't work, a sharp razor/exacto blade.

AMMOF, in a botany course in college 50 years ago, I used a sharp knife
to do the same thing the OP is agonizing over.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I currently use successive grits of sandpaper to smooth down the end
grain on wood cores for viewing tree rings down to the cell. I use 220,
320, 400, 600, 800, and 1200 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper. The only
problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood shavings very quickly and
even after rubbing with a rubber gum eraser, the sandpaper already feels
less smooth. Is there anything wrong with my method or type of sandpaper
I use? What brand or type of sandpaper would last the longest and provide
the cleanest finish under this situation?

The "wood experts" in my club either use a plane or chisel to clean up end
grain as part of the wood identification process. They use a loupe in their
work and look at the cell structure to help make a determination as to
species.

Unless you are trying to clean up the whole end of a log, for example, I'd
think that a half-way decent 1/2" chisel, properly sharpened, would suffice
for your purposes. If the wood is smooth to begin with, and relatively
large, even a properly prepared card scrapper may suffice as all you need to
do is remove the oxidized surface.

Quite frankly, crosscuts of dried wood made with my freshly sharpened
Forrest WWII are very clean. Under magnification I can generally see the
cells of most species without any further preparation effort...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/16/2016 3:57 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in :

Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

wrote:
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:19:51 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
[...]
The only problem is that the sandpaper clogs up with wood
shavings very quickly
[...]
I have only tried gator

There's part of your problem -- that stuff is crap. Use 3M or Norton
instead, and garnet (reddish brown) or corundum (black) abrasive
instead of aluminum oxide.

Corundum IS aluminum oxide. The black is silicon carbide (AKA carborundum)
or - maybe - emery (AKA corundum) which is ALSO aluminum oxide. Why did you
suggest garnet?

Yes, you're right, I meant carborundum, not corundum. I suggested garnet because IME
garnet sandpapers wear *much* better than aluminum oxide papers. Garnet seems to stay
sharper a lot longer.

Keep in mind that Garnet seems to stay sharp longer because it re-
fractures with use and therefore creates new cutting surfaces.

The drawback however is that as the garnet breaks down it also tends to
change to a finer grit so sanding to a consistent smoothness with
several pieces of paper over different surfaces might be tricky.

If you are looking for a long lasting paper the Festool Granat, lite
blue colored, sand paper lasts a very very long time compared to any
paper I have used. It is very resistant to loading up, even when
removing cured finishes. I have had a single piece of this paper last
over the coarse of 2~3 complete projects and still remain sharp. It is
now what I use exclusively.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/16/2016 4:57 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I suggested garnet because IME garnet sandpapers wear *much* better than aluminum oxide papers. 0
Garnet seems to stay sharper a lot longer.

I have Garnet paper that has lasted over 40 years, because about the
only time I use it is for facing jigs I don't want to slide. Garnet
paper is hard to find because it wears poorly and has all but been
replaced with aluminum oxide. It doesn't last long enough to worry
about staying sharp, both I guess is due to it's easiness to fracture.
Its main claim to fame is it's cheap, and it is.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2016 5:05 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:
On 6/21/2016 7:34 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
wrote:

I found aluminum oxide up to 400 grit. Since aluminum oxide does not seem to go above 400 grit

Are you serious? (or trolling...)

800 grit:
https://www.airgas.com/p/NOR66261139382
1200 grit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UXDWRV4/
1500 grit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UXDWS9U/

https://www.amazon.com/SANDING-SHEET...rit+sand+paper
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pol...rit+sand+paper
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Tri-M-ite-...rit+sand+paper
https://www.amazon.com/Zona-37-948-P...+dry+sandpaper

Apparently you totally missed the "aluminum oxide" part. :-/

Did you see jcoruddata's original post? "Is there anything
wrong with [the] type of sandpaper I use?" "What type of
sandpaper would provide the cleanest finish? The query
obviously is not limited to an aluminum oxide solution.