Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Safety Recall: Aluminum Rings Used in Tree Work

There were pictures showing the style there was a problem with. You
have to look up the website to see the pictures. My horticulture
friend just forwarded it to me and there was no website listed.
Karl

Important Safety Recall

Dear associate in tree care,

Attached is a VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE regarding aluminum rings,
commonly available through arborist suppliers, which have broken on
tree climbers! The rings are most often used in friction savers and as
a saddle bridge connection point. Please take the time to read our
voluntary recall notice in this email before inspecting your gear.
Please distribute this information to anyone you know in our industry
that may use this product.

Thank you,
Tobe Sherrill

August 26, 2009

(VOLUNTARY) RECALL
aluminum rings not individually tested

KONG Bonaiti of Italy has confirmed the issuance of polished aluminum
rings that were sourced elsewhere and distributed without individual
testing. A quantity of these rings were mixed into KONG boxes without
having been individually tested and laser marked. Furthermore, two
users have experienced failure of these rings that could have led to
injury. If you have such a ring (below left), stand-alone or spliced
into a product, it is vitally important that you dispose of or submit
for replacement immediately.

!! Delaying or avoiding immediate disposal or replacement could prove
fatal to user !!

Upon receipt of recalled ring(s), the sender will be furnished free of
charge an individually tested and laser etched replacement. If a
similar ring WAS PURCHASED ELSEWHERE, we will gladly replace it. If
the ring supports a Sherrill-spliced rope product, that too will be
replaced and shipped (within the US) at no additional charge.
SherrillTree will compensate customers having bought direct from
SherrillTree (with invoice on record) with $5 credit for their
shipping expenses. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this
may present and will work quickly to return replacements.

Rings

SherrillTree logo Please include return address
and send RINGS ONLY
(and Sherrill-spliced attachment if
exists) to:

Ring Recall
200 Seneca Rd.
Greensboro, NC 27406

NOTE ABOUT ALUMINUM ALLOY
During over 25 years serving the tree care industry, a profession
known to be extremely harsh on tools and equipment, SherrillTree has
never witnessed or heard report of any similarly forged aluminum
carabiner snapping in two ...ever. We've seen them straightened out,
twisted, gates destroyed and even alarmingly-deep rope abrasion, but
never broken in two as witnessed with this forged ring. Damaged gates
are most always due to misloading directly upon the gate while deep
abrasion is slow to progress, providing users plenty of indication to
retire. Insofar as straightened carabiners go, all have been due to
loads that were exceptionally high, forces that the human body could
likely not endure. With that in mind, also know that Sherrill sells
perhaps 100 carabiners to every 1 ring and the carabiners get used
perhaps that many multiples more in the standard climbing routine. In
short, aluminum hardware provided by reputable manufacturers have
proven safe, sound and extremely durable.

Any jewelers here that can do 4 axis work on titanium rings? Jon Anderson Metalworking 5 September 7th 08 06:44 AM
aluminum brake work JASON Home Repair 3 May 10th 06 06:31 PM
Info to backup safety of aluminum wiring? Harry Muscle Home Repair 53 August 23rd 05 05:11 PM
Info to backup safety of aluminum wiring? Harry Muscle Home Ownership 55 August 20th 05 06:11 PM
Info to backup safety of aluminum wiring? Harry Muscle Home Repair 3 August 11th 05 09:24 PM