Harry Muscle

Default Info to backup safety of aluminum wiring?

What about connection devices that are designed for larger aluminum
wiring ... but there happens to be a version of them that accepts
smaller wires? There's a whole bunch of such connectors shown in this
catalog: www.nsipolaris.com/pdf/connectors.pdf . I'm assuming some of
these would normally be found inside of a breaker panel to attach the
aluminum wire comming in from outside. As well as used to make
connections for larger aluminum wire that supplies ovens, etc.
However, a lot of these connectors accept 14 awg wire too, therefore,
would using such connectors be safer than using wirenuts. After all
the safety of wirenuts is not agreed upon by all, but how about the
safety of such connectors?

Thanks,
Harry

stevenal

Note the split bolt connector is not UL aprroved for aluminum. I used the
2-SR in this application. Bulky even before taping, it required the use of
box extenders.
"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
What about connection devices that are designed for larger aluminum
wiring ... but there happens to be a version of them that accepts
smaller wires? There's a whole bunch of such connectors shown in this
catalog: www.nsipolaris.com/pdf/connectors.pdf . I'm assuming some of
these would normally be found inside of a breaker panel to attach the
aluminum wire comming in from outside. As well as used to make
connections for larger aluminum wire that supplies ovens, etc.
However, a lot of these connectors accept 14 awg wire too, therefore,
would using such connectors be safer than using wirenuts. After all
the safety of wirenuts is not agreed upon by all, but how about the
safety of such connectors?

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Muscle

Are split bolt connectors in general not UL approved for aluminum to
copper connections? Or just the ones in the link I've provided?

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Muscle

I just did a search on split bolt, aluminum, and UL, and it looks like
you must have been refering to just the link that I provided above,
since this page for example lists split bolt connectors designed for
joining aluminum to copper and it says that they are UL and CSA
certified:
http://www.gardnerbender.com/whats_n...onnectors.html . So
I've just answered my own question as to what you were refering too ...

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. Maybe I should start a new thread about this whole idea of using
larger connectors with aluminum wire ... since this is totally off
topic from where this thread started.