The Data Rat

Default aluminum wiring

My house has aluminum wiring. New Years day, the lights in 3 rooms were
flickering badly and there was an awful smell in the utility room where the
circuit breaker box is. I noticed smoke coming from one of the top breakers
so I switched it off. Later, the lights were still flickering and I noticed
the smell again and saw a breaker at the bottom was actually sizzling so I
turned off the main breaker. No breakers ever tripped.

The electrician came the next day and pulled out the bottom breaker and said
it had been on fire on the inside and what I was smelling was melting
plastic. He said it was really old, and he had not seen a blue breaker in
years. I told him to replace all of the breakers then, and he said the rest
looked good. (he didn't pull them all out, he said he could tell they were
newer.) I have had 4 replaced since I have lived here, (3 years) so maybe
the previous owner had some replaced. Not sure.

Anyway, a week later, my daughter pointed out an electrical outlet that
looked lightening was in it... would this be arcing? This was a Saturday
night, so I turned off the power and pulled the outlet out and put wire caps
on each wire. But then I had no power to most of the outlets in the house,
so I assume they are connected.

I went to Lowe's and bought a new receptacle. The man there said it may or
may not be a bad outlet, that it could be the aluminum wire was loose,
especially since we had a really cold spell followed by record breaking warm
weather. He said that if it was his house, he would "piggy back" it...use
copper wire and wire nuts to keep the aluminum and copper together, then
make all the attachments to the outlets with copper. He showed me how to do
it and I could do it myself, but is this the right thing to do?

If I wouldn't have been here, I am 100% my house would have burned down. I
asked about having all the aluminum wire ripped out and replaced by copper,
but was told that was totally unfeasible, that I should just move if I was
that afraid of aluminum wiring. I was also told to pull each outlet once a
year and tighten the screws, which I think is pretty high maintenance.

Thanks for all your help! I worry every time I leave the house now!

Suzi

zxcvbob

The Data Rat wrote:

[...]

That new receptacle needs to be approved for aluminum wiring. The right
thing to do is make sure each receptacle is approved for AL, and tighten
the screws periodically. Or splice a copper pigtail on the ends of the
AL wire with a special wirenut or clamp that is made for mixing CU and AL.

BTW, this is only a problem with small gauges of AL wire. The big stuff
(#8 and larger) is OK, so you don't need to worry about the electric
range circuit, etc.

I think arc-fault breakers would catch this problem with loose wires, so
you might want to check into that.

Best regards,
Bob
Toller

That new receptacle needs to be approved for aluminum wiring. The right
thing to do is make sure each receptacle is approved for AL, and tighten
the screws periodically. Or splice a copper pigtail on the ends of the
AL wire with a special wirenut or clamp that is made for mixing CU and AL.

BTW, this is only a problem with small gauges of AL wire. The big stuff
(#8 and larger) is OK, so you don't need to worry about the electric
range circuit, etc.

It is also prudent to clean the wires first and put an antioxidant on them.

Tony Hwang

Toller wrote:
That new receptacle needs to be approved for aluminum wiring. The right
thing to do is make sure each receptacle is approved for AL, and tighten
the screws periodically. Or splice a copper pigtail on the ends of the
AL wire with a special wirenut or clamp that is made for mixing CU and AL.

BTW, this is only a problem with small gauges of AL wire. The big stuff
(#8 and larger) is OK, so you don't need to worry about the electric
range circuit, etc.

It is also prudent to clean the wires first and put an antioxidant on them.

Hi,
Here is a stroy from my retired X-ray service tech.
At a hospital, he couldn't maintain a X-ray machine in good calibration
no matter what. After so many days of looking, trouble-shooting, the
culprit was a main feeder to the building which was AL wire. When it was
repelaced, no more unstable X-ray equipment.
I lived in a house with AL wire from 1976 to 2994. Never had any
trouble. But it was one reason I sold the house and built another.
Tony

John Grabowski

For some peace of mind and to correct any unseen problems, you should have
an electrician open up every outlet, light fixture, and wall switch. Once
the problems are corrected you should have a few years of trouble free
service. Your wiring throughout your house is not carrying a full load all
of the time (Presumably) so I don't think it is necessary to do this every
year.

It is possible to pigtail copper onto the aluminum conductors, but it must
be done using approved methods and materials. You might want to contact
your local electrical inspector to find out what methods he will approve of
and then call some electrical contractors for costs. It would be difficult
for a contractor to give you an exact estimate as to exactly how much it
will cost because most of the work is not visible. Most likely they will
quote you an hourly rate or per outlet with an additional charge for
materials.

Changing over your circuit breakers to Arc Fault Protection breakers would
help in the prevention of fires, but they are pricey right now. I expect
that they will be coming down in price in the future as their use becomes
more prevalent.

Hope this helps,

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"The Data Rat" wrote in message
[...]

The Data Rat

Thanks to all who replied! Everything I have ever replaced in the house
myself is marked for AL. I also used an antioxidant called oxigard when I
changed the outlet.!

Suzi
[...]

Chris Lewis

According to The Data Rat :
My house has aluminum wiring.

You're having multiple problems, which suggests that you need to take
an overall view of the whole thing.

I strongly recommend taking a look at the electrical wiring FAQ.

Here's a link directly to the relevant section:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-...ection-16.html
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est