Tony Hwang

Default aluminum wiring

Toller wrote:
That new receptacle needs to be approved for aluminum wiring. The right
thing to do is make sure each receptacle is approved for AL, and tighten
the screws periodically. Or splice a copper pigtail on the ends of the
AL wire with a special wirenut or clamp that is made for mixing CU and AL.

BTW, this is only a problem with small gauges of AL wire. The big stuff
(#8 and larger) is OK, so you don't need to worry about the electric
range circuit, etc.

It is also prudent to clean the wires first and put an antioxidant on them.

Hi,
Here is a stroy from my retired X-ray service tech.
At a hospital, he couldn't maintain a X-ray machine in good calibration
no matter what. After so many days of looking, trouble-shooting, the
culprit was a main feeder to the building which was AL wire. When it was
repelaced, no more unstable X-ray equipment.
I lived in a house with AL wire from 1976 to 2994. Never had any
trouble. But it was one reason I sold the house and built another.
Tony