Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how long in the clamps

i do twenty four hours or more

overnight is top vote getter

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/poll...moving-clamps/

guess overnight means twelve hours or so

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message ...

i do twenty four hours or more

overnight is top vote getter

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/poll...moving-clamps/

guess overnight means twelve hours or so

Just a hobbyist but I've done doors and drawers for two kitchens (30 to 40
doors and 15 - 20 drawers each) and I've only ever waited the 30 minutes
using Titebond. I simply didn't have that many clamps to wait overnight. I
setup a large 4'x8' work table (torsion top on saw horses) in my garage and
went into production mode. Stacks of rails and stiles and raised panels at
one end.

Layout pieces for door on table, inspect joints, apply glue, tap panel
together, clamp and check for square. Set aside to dry. With 4 sets of
clamps I would do a door approx. every 10 to 15 minutes. I was able to
continue the whole process until done over a 2 day period without running
out of clamps and having to wait. After 15 minutes, I would go back to the
last glue-up and scrape off any squeeze out while semi-soft and hit with a
damp rag.

Granted, they sat overnight before any further work was done. Fresh glue,
tight joints and know in advance (dry run practice) how you are going to do
the glue-up. ( a 7' long pantry door taught me that - real quick....)

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:

i do twenty four hours or more

Good for you. Most smart people read the label on
the adhesive container and follow the instructions
for clamping time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/16/2016 8:01 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Electric Comet writes:

i do twenty four hours or more

Good for you. Most smart people read the label on
the adhesive container and follow the instructions
for clamping time.

I have 5 different Titebond glues, none are the polyurethane type.

All say a minimum of 30 minutes or 30~45 minutes clamping time and not
to stress the joint for 24 hours.

A longer clamping time than recommended does not hurt but probably adds
little to no benefit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

i do twenty four hours or more

Good for you. Most smart people read the label on
the adhesive container and follow the instructions
for clamping time.

If you click on the " Tech " link on the web page below -
it takes you to a couple of handy reference charts.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...110,42965&ap=1

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 22:41:38 -0400
"Bob" wrote:

to 40 doors and 15 - 20 drawers each) and I've only ever waited the
30 minutes using Titebond. I simply didn't have that many clamps to

from the poll looks to be about 20% of others that wait the same time

wait overnight. I setup a large 4'x8' work table (torsion top on saw
horses) in my garage and went into production mode. Stacks of rails

i need to make a torsion top but i have to figure out how to make a
foldable one to be out of the way

or maybe sectional instead of foldable using detachable hinges