Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Food for thought

As mentioned in another post I am going to build a bed for a customer.

This bed will require
2-60x60 1/2" thick sheets of Baltic birch
1- 4x8 1/4" birch plywood
1- 4x8 1/4" good 2 side red oak plywood
117- LF of 4/4 1x8 red oak

and

4- 4x8 sheets of 3/4" paint grade maple/birch plywood.

Unfortunately paint grade plywood these days just does not seem to be a
very good quality. That seems to go for the exterior veneers that do
not stay glued down when primed or painted with water based products.
AND the panels are not and or do not remain flat. And finally the inner
plies tend to be pretty crappy and the thickness of the material tends
to vary in thickness through out the whole panel. This is what $45 gets
you in domestic paint grade plywood.

Looking back on my past two jobs, the garage cabinets and the IT cabinet
that I built for our veterinarian I used MDO instead of paint grade
plywood. This material was a total joy to work with and I did not have
to wrestle with it to make it fit into groves and dado's. Having a
resin/paper outer veneer on both sides and quality inner plies, IMHO,
makes this material very stable and much less prone to warp or bow. AND
there is no tear out issue on the top or bottom of the cut, having no grain.

For the most part 98% of the 4 sheets of this 3/4" plywood material will
not be visible, only the black painted bottom kick plates will be
exposed. There will be 5- 14"x 76" 3/4" plywood support/drawer
partitions that will be unseen. Straight/flat plywood is a very
desirable feature to insure ease of assembly and smooth drawer movement.

Although I have already quoted a price for the bed I will probably
upgrade to the MDO vs. the paint grade plywood if for no other reason to
make my job easier. I'll gladly absorb the additional $120.00 for the
better material.

Sometimes more expensive and better quality materials reduce the labor
and frustration.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Sometimes more expensive and better quality materials reduce the labor and
frustration.

I know of what you speak. I have to throw together a quick project of some
small boxes. And they have to be done yesterday. And I have several
projects going on right now too. I went to a better grade of stock because
it will cut down my labor to half or less. One difficult cut and everything
else is simple, quick and fast. And it will look good too.

Pay the money for the better materials, get the job done and get out! Words
to live by.