Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Food for thought

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Food for thought

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy of
exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

Lew

If the money and effort that has gone into sky is falling prognostications
and whining had gone into the research Gates discusses, we'd be there
already.
Unfortunately some of the biggest whiners have figured out how to make a
buck from fear and loathing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2010 8:30 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

Lew

We would have clean nuclear energy systems that uses all of the waste
produced, IF during the past 40 years the country had worked as hard to
find solutions for the perceived problems, as the country has worked to
avoid the ultimate conclusion that we MUST use nuclear energy.

We solved the chemical and physical problems of purifying Uranium in
about 4 years; 1941 to 1945. Given the same resources in 40 years it is
impossible to imaging the amount of clean energy we could have had today.

There are still those that are still trying to use impractical ideas to
avoid make the ultimate decision.

Paraphrase an old saying; you can lead a horse to water, but eventually
the horse must drink or die.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2010 7:30 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

sigh

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

In , Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

""You'd be stunned at the ridiculously low costs of innovation," said
Gates, who received a standing ovation for his remarks."

If he'd actually innovated ANYTHING after Excel for Mac in the 1980's,
I might have some respect for the weasel.

But he didn't, and I don't.

"Windows 7 was my idea....15 years ago when I called it Mac System 9."
--Steve Jobs

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:120220102125468331%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

""You'd be stunned at the ridiculously low costs of innovation," said
Gates, who received a standing ovation for his remarks."

If he'd actually innovated ANYTHING after Excel for Mac in the 1980's,
I might have some respect for the weasel.

But he didn't, and I don't.

Jealous?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2010 9:36 PM, Leon wrote:

Jealous?

Good question. I just did a self-check and decided that I'd rather be my
not-so-well-off self than be him with $34B in the bank.

Especially while shaving...

....b'sides, /my/ software's better.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 12, 10:30*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

In , Lew Hodgett
*wrote:

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

""You'd be stunned at the ridiculously low costs of innovation," said
Gates, who received a standing ovation for his remarks."

If he'd actually innovated ANYTHING after Excel for Mac in the 1980's,
I might have some respect for the weasel.

But he didn't, and I don't.

"Windows 7 was my idea....15 years ago when I called it Mac System 9."
--Steve Jobs

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

The box said:
System requirement: "Windows 95 or better"
..
..
..
so I bought a mac.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

""You'd be stunned at the ridiculously low costs of innovation," said
Gates, who received a standing ovation for his remarks."

If he'd actually innovated ANYTHING after Excel for Mac in the 1980's,
I might have some respect for the weasel.

But he didn't, and I don't.

Jealous?

Celine Dion is one of the richest performers in the world, and she
can't sing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The box said:
System requirement: "Windows 95 or better"
.
.
.
so I bought a mac.

Nice. :-)

Besides, I'm running Windows XP & 7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:30:26 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

This:

"Gates spent a significant portion of his speech highlighting nuclear
technology that would turn spent uranium -- the 99 percent of uranium
rods that aren't burned in current nuclear power plants -- into
electricity."

Is something that I've been saying for at least 30 years. Former
Washington State governor Dixie Lee Ray once said that we should be
storing all our spent nuclear waste where we could get at it easily
because one day we would want it to be able to use the energy
remaining in it. Instead we have adopted a policy of trying to hide it
as far away as possible.

Ah! the foolishness of man!

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

It's kinda like he said "look at all the wheat we have, let's figure
out how to make bread out of it".

Oh, wait, we *already* know how to do that.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 1:03*am, (Derek Lyons) wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

It's kinda like he said "look at all the wheat we have, let's figure
out how to make bread out of it".

Oh, wait, we *already* know how to do that.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

I think the point there is simple: we know how, but we're not doing
it.

We need to begin doing it, something like me and losing weight.

2050 puts it into the era when my grandchildren will be coming up for
retirement, but with one exception, they've got their heads too far up
their asses to get involved in anything outside themselves...from what
I've seen, that's not at all unusual, and is one result of making it
too frigging easy for several generations, starting with mine. They,
though, are the second generation that has started out expecting to
begin with more than their parents are finishing with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 12, 8:30*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

Lew

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 12:19*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Sooo, "O Wise One™" what is helping to keep my shop all nice and
toasty? Huh? Huh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 11:44 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:19 pm, Morris wrote:
On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

Sooo, "O Wise One™" what is helping to keep my shop all nice and
toasty? Huh? Huh?

Probably some non-threatening kook who's beginning to think that the
weather at Gitmo-By-The-Sea can't be all /that/ bad...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:19 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Sooo, "O Wise One™" what is helping to keep my shop all nice and
toasty? Huh? Huh?

And, of course, even if the energy fuel source itself is free, the
accoutrements required to utilize it aren't...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

Just proves that being rich doesn't make you smart and it doesn't take being
wise to make one rich.

He's right, but for the wrong reasons. We - or most of the world - can use
cheap energy. We already have plenty of clean energy, it's just not cheap.

And if energy is more important than vaccines, into which he's poured
billions, how about he gives upon inoculations and devote his resources to
Uranium?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 12:45 PM, dpb wrote:

And, of course, even if the energy fuel source itself is free, the
accoutrements required to utilize it aren't...

There is that aspect. OTOH, folks don't seem to much value nor draw
satisfaction from that which comes their way without cost.

From the production standpoint, the effort to produce such devices for
people who didn't value them and who derived no satisfaction from using
them, would rather quickly become pointless.

Still, one can bone up on math and physics, delve into fluid dynamics
and heat transfer, refresh the hazy thermodynics memories, and then
proceed more or less directly to a design of ones own. At that point all
that's needed is to get the right materials into an appropriately
equipped shop and do the assembly. If you happen to have all the right
stuff, I suppose it /could/ be free...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/13/2010 12:45 PM, dpb wrote:

And, of course, even if the energy fuel source itself is free, the
accoutrements required to utilize it aren't...

There is that aspect. OTOH, folks don't seem to much value nor draw
satisfaction from that which comes their way without cost.

From the production standpoint, the effort to produce such devices for
people who didn't value them and who derived no satisfaction from using
them, would rather quickly become pointless.

I'm not saying it isn't nor can't be valuable...and in the right
circumstances may even have a positive payback over some time frame.

Still, one can bone up on math and physics, delve into fluid dynamics
and heat transfer, refresh the hazy thermodynics memories, and then
proceed more or less directly to a design of ones own. At that point all
that's needed is to get the right materials into an appropriately
equipped shop and do the assembly. If you happen to have all the right
stuff, I suppose it /could/ be free...

For some definition of free I suppose...

The "stuff" will have had to come from _somewhere_ ... and we all know
what shops a merely alternatives or substitutes for the boat or
other endless resource sink.

There's still no free lunch (unfortunately).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

Just proves that being rich doesn't make you smart and it doesn't take
being wise to make one rich.

He's right, but for the wrong reasons. We - or most of the world - can use
cheap energy. We already have plenty of clean energy, it's just not cheap.

And if energy is more important than vaccines, into which he's poured
billions, how about he gives upon inoculations and devote his resources to
Uranium?

It wasn't that long ago that Gates was criticized for Not giving away money.
Now he's being criticized for giving it away to the 'wrong' people. Thus
proving no matter how much money you have, you just can't win.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The box said:
System requirement: "Windows 95 or better"
.
.
.
so I bought a mac.

Nice. :-)

Besides, I'm running Windows XP & 7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 3:44 PM, dpb wrote:

I'm not saying it isn't nor can't be valuable...and in the right
circumstances may even have a positive payback over some time frame.

That was my conclusion, too. When I took a really close look, I noticed
some "low hanging fruit" that offered remarkably short (2 to 3 year)
payback periods. One of these, of course, is the passive solar heating
panel - but there's still a fair amount of fruit on those low branches.

The big surprise for me (and for a lot of others) is that the best of
the low-hanging fruit is simple, almost primitively simple, in operation
but requires fairly high levels of understanding in multiple disciplines
to design. I happened to be "blessed" with a whole team of patient
mentors who helped me learn what I needed and steered me away from blind
alleys.

Positive payback is a term worth thinking about - a lot. Direct
financial payback, of course, is always satisfying - but payback can
take many forms, and it's possible to aim for multiple paybacks (they're
not necessarily mutually exclusive) and so /along with/ financial
payback it may be possible to also have social and environmental paybacks.

I was updating the web page in my sig last week (feeling pleased that
those panels had already paid for themselves) when it occurred to me to
do another calculation: over the life of those panels, even if there is
_no_ change to the price of propane, the savings they produce will
exceed the cost of the building in which they're installed!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 6:01*pm, (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
In article ,

The box said:
System requirement: "Windows 95 or better"
.
.
.
so I bought a mac.

Nice. * :-)

Besides, I'm running Windows XP & 7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. * :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

You win. By a whisker.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:130220101000195057%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Leon
wrote:

Jealous?

Not even the teensiest bit.

Could'a fooled me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

No kidding free energy would require heat and Al Gore is doing his best to
make sure we all pay for that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

I was updating the web page in my sig last week (feeling pleased that
those panels had already paid for themselves) when it occurred to me to do
another calculation: over the life of those panels, even if there is _no_
change to the price of propane, the savings they produce will exceed the
cost of the building in which they're installed!
--

I don't care how math challenged you are, those are impressive numbers!

Especially considering that this was not done in a southern state.

Besides, the southern states are all buried under snow right now!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 6:36*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/13/2010 3:44 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

Also 'payback' is often misunderstood. In many cases, the outlay, per
month, to supply heat to a shop can stay the same, but the money
changes direction. Instead of sending your money to a energy supplier,
you now pay it to support an investment. The tax structure changes as
well.
If I, as an individual, lend my business money to buy heating
equipment, I get some tax advantages and incentives as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/10 5:01 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Besides, I'm running Windows XP& 7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

Boooooooo!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 7:22*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/10 5:01 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Besides, I'm running Windows XP& *7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. * :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

Boooooooo!

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

He went fur broke on that one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LDosser wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Regardless of your personal opinion of the man, he has a idea worthy
of exploration.

http://tinyurl.com/yaa4yeh

Just proves that being rich doesn't make you smart and it doesn't
take being wise to make one rich.

He's right, but for the wrong reasons. We - or most of the world -
can use cheap energy. We already have plenty of clean energy, it's
just not cheap. And if energy is more important than vaccines, into which
he's poured
billions, how about he gives upon inoculations and devote his
resources to Uranium?

It wasn't that long ago that Gates was criticized for Not giving away
money. Now he's being criticized for giving it away to the 'wrong'
people. Thus proving no matter how much money you have, you just
can't win.

**** 'em.

Many years ago, F. Lee Bailey interviewed H.L. Hunt on PBS. Bailey asked the
"are you still beating your wife question:"

"Mr Hunt, one only has to visit the men of great wealth who have made this
country great with their business endeavors and made it even greater with
their charities. The Rockefellers, Fords, Carnegies, and more. Why is it
you've never seen fit to share your largess with those less fortunate?"

Hunt looked at Bailey as if Bailey had just eaten a bug. "I use my money to
give people something better than a pretty picture to look at in some
museum. I give 'em a job."

'Course Hunt was famous for bringing his lunch to work every day in a paper
bag. The same paper bag.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:22*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/10 5:01 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Besides, I'm running Windows XP& *7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. * :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

Boooooooo!

He went fur broke on that one.

HEY!! I'm not gonna take that lion down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

Are you sure about that?? _Politicians_ seem to be a never-ending source
of hot air. grin

I'd also be tempted to offer up a successful perpetual motion machine -- the
design for which was based on a woman's mouth. *snicker*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 10:05*pm, (Robert Bonomi)
wrote:
In article ,

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:22*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/10 5:01 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Besides, I'm running Windows XP& *7 on my Mac.... just for giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an enema. * :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

Boooooooo!

He went fur broke on that one.

HEY!! *I'm not gonna take that lion down.

...and so never the mane shall tweet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2010 9:11 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
In ,
Morris wrote:
On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

Are you sure about that?? _Politicians_ seem to be a never-ending source
of hot air.grin

Umm - I'm not sure about Canada, but down here that hot air comes with a
very large pricetag!

I'd also be tempted to offer up a successful perpetual motion machine -- the
design for which was based on a woman's mouth. *snicker*

Free, eh? Prudence dictates that I say no more...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article
,
Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:22 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/10 5:01 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Besides, I'm running Windows XP& 7 on my Mac.... just for
giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an
enema. :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

Boooooooo!

He went fur broke on that one.

HEY!! I'm not gonna take that lion down.

You're lion about that. Grin

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:22 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/13/10 5:01 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Besides, I'm running Windows XP& *7 on my Mac.... just for
giggles.

Every night, when I shut down the Leopard asks for an
enema. * :-)

Is that a deliberately catty remark?

Boooooooo!

He went fur broke on that one.

HEY!! *I'm not gonna take that lion down.

You're lion about that. Grin

No he isn't.. he's no cheetah
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
On 2/13/2010 10:50 AM, Robatoy wrote:

If some guy invented a free source of energy which would put the oil
companies out of business, he'd be dead, branded a kook, get bought,
jailed on a trumped up charge, shipped to Gitmo...that is IF the oil
companies had some clout in congress.

Silly, it's common knowledge that you can't get energy for free...

:-D

Are you sure about that?? _Politicians_ seem to be a never-ending source
of hot air. grin

However, politicians are most certainly not free. Some are cheap, but
still not inexpensive.

I'd also be tempted to offer up a successful perpetual motion machine --
the
design for which was based on a woman's mouth. *snicker*

Rob Leatham