Posted to rec.woodworking

Default custom hinges

anyone ever had custom hinges made

i would guess it might be expensive but if a shop is setup to do that
and does it often it might no be too bad on price

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
anyone ever had custom hinges made

i would guess it might be expensive but if a shop is setup to do that
and does it often it might no be too bad on price

Why bother asking? You seem to have all of the answers to any questions
asked here. Just ask yourself for the answer.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:njpvi1$epd$2
@dont-email.me:

anyone ever had custom hinges made

i would guess it might be expensive but if a shop is setup to do that
and does it often it might no be too bad on price

Sure, a quick and dirty method is to take two nails and put them on either
side of a piece of wood. You can then either rest the nails on more nails,
or nail through pieces of wood on the side.

Why do you want custom hinges? If you can't solve your problem with a
commercial hinge, you need to rethink your design.

That being said, you could probably have a machine shop make or modify a
hinge to fit your design. No idea how much it would cost, but chances are
there will be a fee for putting your design into a format they can work
with as well as actually doing the cutting.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 5:13:23 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
anyone ever had custom hinges made

No, not had them made, but made them myself....

i would guess it might be expensive but if a shop is setup to do that
and does it often it might no be too bad on price

..... and it wasn't expensive. Made the mailbox and door knob/faceplate, also.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message
anyone ever had custom hinges made

i would guess it might be expensive but if a shop is setup to do that
and does it often it might no be too bad on price

Why? The availability of hinge options is staggering. Seriously.

Why not describe your problem and let somebody here with more product
familiarity point you towards a product that will drop into your
application.

Post twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy photographs with circles and arrows
and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one was,

Its gotta be cheaper than having a custom hinge made. And yes, I suppose I
could make a custom hinge if I was so inclined. I make a lot of other
stuffeses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in
:

Why? The availability of hinge options is staggering. Seriously.

Why not describe your problem and let somebody here with more product
familiarity point you towards a product that will drop into your
application.

Post twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy photographs with circles and
arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each
one was,

Its gotta be cheaper than having a custom hinge made. And yes, I
suppose I could make a custom hinge if I was so inclined. I make a
lot of other stuffeses.

I've been thinking about it... At it's core all a hinge is is a pin and a
hole. The pin must be able to rotate in the hole, but can't rotate too
freely. (Most house door hinges work by having the hole rotate around
the pin.)

If I wanted custom hinges, I'd probably look for a commercial one that
had the boring bits already done and modify it. Once I put the design in
a format the CNC understands, I can make copies all day.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 21:07:34 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Why? The availability of hinge options is staggering. Seriously.

not as staggering as my imagination i guess

doing special one offs is what i like to do

sometimes i get lucky and find what i want off the shelf

Its gotta be cheaper than having a custom hinge made. And yes, I
suppose I could make a custom hinge if I was so inclined. I make a
lot of other stuffeses.

i may make my own this time from some other generic hinge

Custom optics an more Jim P[_3_] Electronics Repair 0 September 9th 10 03:19 PM
Custom Walking Stick for a Custom Head. [email protected] Woodworking 7 November 8th 06 05:06 PM
CUSTOM HEADBOARD J T Woodworking 1 August 29th 05 05:41 AM
custom cables Ian Holm Electronics 1 July 18th 05 03:15 PM
custom bookcases iradi8 Home Repair 29 January 25th 05 02:47 AM