Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup - you've come a long way ...

Looking back on some of the old wRec SketchUp threads from about ten
years back, there were quite a few detractors, and more than a few
heated discussions, about SketchUp's potential as 3D modeling software
for both woodworking and construction.

An almost totally unheard practice at the time, about eight years ago I
built a $350 home using SketchUp Pro for ALL permitted construction
documents, with exception of the Foundation Plan, which must be provided
by a Engineer.

Even then I took the time to model the foundation using SketchUp, based
on the PE's drawings, to give everyone involved a better idea of the
structural nuances that are often difficult for subcontractors of today
to grasp from a 3D format:

https://goo.gl/photos/e8nbwzH47AmjKiXD9

That simple SketchUp drawing, along with a few more views showing
greater detail, was instrumental in the successful fabrication of that
very unusual "structural with void space" foundation.

At that time there were no known examples of Architects using the
program for construction documentation, both for permitting and
fabricating. Today, Architects, like Nick Sonders, who has a number of
youtube videos showing his use of SketchUp in his Architectural
practice, have taken the use of SketchUp in construction to a new level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnHr...ZFs-xmPPtmYb6b

He now has a book out, with a web page that nicely illustrates how far
the acceptance of that once hotly debated program on the wRec has come:

http://www.sketchupbook.com/

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2016 9:24 AM, Swingman wrote:
$350 home

$350k home ... found the "k".

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2016 10:26 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/7/2016 9:24 AM, Swingman wrote:
$350 home

$350k home ... found the "k".

Gezz. I was just about to order a dozen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2016 10:12 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 6/7/2016 10:26 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/7/2016 9:24 AM, Swingman wrote:
$350 home

$350k home ... found the "k".

Gezz. I was just about to order a dozen.

Hell, can help you with ... bluebird mini-mansion or purple martin?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Looking back on some of the old wRec SketchUp threads from about ten
years back, there were quite a few detractors, and more than a few
heated discussions, about SketchUp's potential as 3D modeling software
for both woodworking and construction.

I believe you but it's hard to understand detractors. I mean. it is an
INCREDIBLY useful program! I only build stuff for myself but SketchUp has
really simplified doing that...after building something in SketchUp, the
real building is pretty much an anti-climax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2016 12:34 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Looking back on some of the old wRec SketchUp threads from about ten
years back, there were quite a few detractors, and more than a few
heated discussions, about SketchUp's potential as 3D modeling software
for both woodworking and construction.

I believe you but it's hard to understand detractors. I mean. it is an
INCREDIBLY useful program! I only build stuff for myself but SketchUp has
really simplified doing that...after building something in SketchUp, the
real building is pretty much an anti-climax.

That is how I see things with Sketchup. I would really rather see the
"got'cha's" while designing rather than after I have started to build
with expensive materials.

I build much faster because I have detailed drawings of exactly how
joints and parts are to be formed to fit together.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Swingman writes:

At that time there were no known examples of Architects using the
program for construction documentation, both for permitting and
fabricating. Today, Architects, like Nick Sonders, who has a number of
youtube videos showing his use of SketchUp in his Architectural
practice, have taken the use of SketchUp in construction to a new level:

Several years ago, Christchurch, New Zealand had several very bad
earthquakes. One of the many buildings damaged was Trimble Navigation's
main office there. They designed the new building (completed about
a year ago) entirely in SketchUp.

Admittedly, there is some corporate showmanship there. Still it
is a pretty strong vote of confidence.

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have
| 18 half-lives

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 11:14:10 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/7/2016 10:12 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 6/7/2016 10:26 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/7/2016 9:24 AM, Swingman wrote:
$350 home

$350k home ... found the "k".

Gezz. I was just about to order a dozen.

Hell, can help you with ... bluebird mini-mansion or purple martin?

"Maytag" under the I-10 overpass?

Sketchup - again dadiOH[_3_] Woodworking 6 June 26th 13 02:49 PM
Sketchup hep? SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 9 February 19th 10 08:57 PM
Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM
SketchUp Morris Dovey Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 January 1st 09 04:34 PM