Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Source For Reclaimed Wood? Pro and Cons?

It's time to build another bed. My (adult) daughter would like something
like this:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/052/0/90...20270_c0a1.jpg

I think it would be really cool to make it out of reclaimed wood, but I don't
know anything about obtaining it. I can cut it to size (rip and crosscut),
but I don't have a planer or jointer, so the wood would need to milled to
my specs.

I called a local reclaimed wood supplier and they said that their typical
minimum is $1000, but they might go lower. Obviously they need a cut list
before they can give me a quote. They don't stock any boards, everything is
milled to order.

I'm looking to the experts here for the pros and cons of building this
bed with reclaimed lumber and also for some suggestions on sourcing
the material.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 8:17:07 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm looking to the experts here for the pros and cons of building this
bed with reclaimed lumber and also for some suggestions on sourcing
the material.

Thanks!

Here, there seems to have always been old sheds, barns, houses that "needed" demolishing. Long ago, I would go around and ask the owners about their (abandoned) structures and about 1 in 10 would give me the building.

Later on, I discovered the city would have a list of houses to be demolished. I salvaged a few of those, also.

Doing that sort of demolishing/gathering, yourself, may not be an option for you. I don't search that way, any more, these days. If you're not prepared to salvage a building from the city, ask their Code office who/what contractor has the contract to demolish a structure, then ask the contractor about obtaining some lumber... as they are doing the demolishing. You can usually select what you need, rather than buying a bulk load. Sometimes, these contrators don't salvage any lumber, i.e., their job is to demolish the building, not salvage it.

Check your local Craigslistings ("Material" category) for someone having salvaged lumber. Also, rather than running through a category, do the search option, using different wordings (for specifics, like salvaged lumber, maybe?).

One thing to consider when buying salvaged lumber, especially siding and the like: If it has old paint, it likely contains lead, so factor in any lead based paint removal in your (lesser) cost for purchasing it.

Also, consider any evidence of termite, powder post beetle, or other bug infestation. You can spray/fumigate or cut away any bug damage, but that's your time/cost, so (negotiate) deduct any of those potential cost related issues in your purchasing.

As for as that supplier you've contacted, $1K might buy more lumber than you need. Do you have a buddy than might need some, also? Share the cost of the bulk buy.

As for as not having a planer or jointer, is there a local cabinet or other firm, that might/can/would do the job. For my walnut table, a local firm planed my wide boards (charged $30, but I gave him $50 because he hit a nail) and another guy jointed/surfaced, then planed, other boards ($40). For the recent cypress table, a local guy ripped/jointed one edge (table top boards), straight, for me ($40).

When using salvaged lumber, sometimes all your mill work (edges, surfaces) don't have to be perfect.... it's salvaged lumber, so maintaining that "salvage defect" is not out of character of/for the whole project. Isn't that why you might be using salvaged lumber, in the first place? Just make sure your "important" joints are solid/secure, to compensate for other (possible) "deficiencies", elsewhere. Make sure certain edges and surfaces (and/or jointery) are perfect, not necessarily all of edges and surfaces. Hand sanding a wavy/unflat surface smooth (enough), of salvaged lumber, to me, is sometimes a better look/result, than planing the surface perfectly flat..... or both sides coplanor. Allow the boards dictate some of the design/aesthetics, that way, and work with it, not against it.....

*You get me started on salvage lumber, etal., and I don't know when to stop!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/02/2016 8:17 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm looking to the experts here for the pros and cons of building this
bed with reclaimed lumber and also for some suggestions on sourcing
the material.

What are they "reclaiming" and do you care what species it is you use?

Depending upon the source for their material, what you get _may_ be far
nicer stock than just run-of-the-mill newly cut timber, but then again,
maybe not...

I reclaim/repurpose a lot of old construction SYP around the farm here,
most of which is roughly 100 yr old now and it generally is much finer
old growth grain as opposed to current commercially-grown tree-farm
construction lumber.

If you go exotic like they're reclaiming old chestnut logs or the like,
then it's basically the only source but you'll be investing a lot of cash...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 9:37:07 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

Doing that sort of demolishing/gathering, yourself, may not be an option for you. I don't search that way, any more, these days. If you're not prepared to salvage a building from the city, ask their Code office who/what contractor has the contract to demolish a structure, then ask the contractor about obtaining some lumber... as they are doing the demolishing. You can usually select what you need, rather than buying a bulk load. ....

Sometimes, these contrators don't salvage any lumber, i.e., their job is to demolish the building, not salvage it.

If you run into a contractor who doesn't salvage the lumber, they likely will give you (free) what you can haul off. They won't have to pay for that quantity of/for landfill fee.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 06:17:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Habitat For Humanity operates Re-Store outlets.
I have about 5 within an hours drive. They differ somewhat
in what they have in stock ; and it's always changing -
hit & miss - but you might find some interesting materials.
I've recently learned that they advertise on Kijiji
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/habitat-restore/k0l9004
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/2/2016 9:17 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

First question: Where are you?

In NYC there's a place called "M. Fine Lumber" that has an acre or two
of piles of old structural lumber. I went in there once and they told me
they could give it to you pretty much however you want. Rough, planed
all four sides, ripped, etc. And they apparently get all sorts of orders
that essentially add up to a thick coffee table top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 5:08:41 PM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

That is basically what the place I called told me. They can give it to me pretty much
however I want it, all I have to do is pay them. The problem is that the set-up costs
for such a small order is what jacks up the price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

Let me add one note to what Sonny wrote: I've had good luck getting
barn wood from ads on CL. For a couple of my projects, I used my
jointer and lunchbox planer to prepare stock for glue up into panels
then took the panels to one of my local sources to run through their
wide belt sander. Interesting that the closest of my two local
sources, a retail lumber yard, wouldn't touch reclaimed wood for fear
of hitting a nail. The other guy didn't care.

Larry

Speaking of hitting nails... A metal detector will help you find them. It
won't find all of them, you'll have to look closely to see if there are any
small particles from broken fasteners. (Staples and the like.) I got
about 98% of the nails in some reclaimed model railroad benchwork, and made
sure to keep an eye on the surface as each pass came out of the planer.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 11:01:58 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Having no idea what your capabilities are, why do you need someone to do a special setup? No more material than is in that bed, assuming you can find your source of stock (depending on where you live, CL is an excellent source),cutting it to size and planing it down should be very straight forward. A lot of planing(machine and hand) but nothing too extreme.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 6:20:57 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:

Having no idea what your capabilities are, why do you need someone to do a special setup? No more material than is in that bed, assuming you can find your source of stock (depending on where you live, CL is an excellent source),cutting it to size and planing it down should be very straight forward. A lot of planing(machine and hand) but nothing too extreme.

Exactly! That "setup cost" jargon, to me, is bogus, for what basic-boards you need. Ask him if you can bring your circular saw, for cutting, to relative length, the items you need.... that's about all the setup required. For salvaged lumber, not all of your shop's (subsequent/further milling) work has to be perfect, for your (rustic-like?, assembly requirements?) project.

Other than supplying you with lumber, is his idea for setup to include making your required(?) mortise & tenons cuts, other jointery/specialty cuts, i..e., complete prep for assembly, etc., etc.?

If his shop's basic setup, in all departments, is not already in working order, then that may not be the company you should be doing business with.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 8:22:46 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 6:20:57 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:

Having no idea what your capabilities are, why do you need someone to do a special setup? No more material than is in that bed, assuming you can find your source of stock (depending on where you live, CL is an excellent source),cutting it to size and planing it down should be very straight forward. A lot of planing(machine and hand) but nothing too extreme.

Exactly! That "setup cost" jargon, to me, is bogus, for what basic-boards you need. Ask him if you can bring your circular saw, for cutting, to relative length, the items you need.... that's about all the setup required.. For salvaged lumber, not all of your shop's (subsequent/further milling) work has to be perfect, for your (rustic-like?, assembly requirements?) project.

Unless the purchased boards are already completely prepared (in finished condition) to be worked on, in your shop....

Buy your basic boards, first. Don't worry about or consider any further or refined cutting or milling, at the place of purchase. In your shop, cleanup the boards, do some basic cutting or trimming, if need be.

Do a rough assembly or layout of/for panels, and the like. With a rough assembly, then you decide what all needs further refined cutting, planing, jointing, etc.... like I have done, he https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Do some initial cutting-to-basic-length and fitting to size, etc.

Once some idea of what all needs to be planed, jointed, etc., and why, then bring the prepped boards to that guy (or someone else) for further finished planing, jointing.

It may not be practical to do any planing or jointing, at the place of purchase, before you have the bed's construction plans to guide you, with the actual boards to be used. Example: Your preliminary bed plans may call for, say, 6" wide panel boards, but after the seller joints the boards, they may end up 5.75" wide. Does that idea, that consideration, make sense?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2016 12:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember being quoted $300 for enough wood for a sofa table
with a thick top, so their minimum cost was less than what you were
quoted. I'm curious though, if you were to have them plane all the stock
on four sides, would there be any point in getting reclaimed wood? I've
been wondering that for awhile. Isn't the "aging" confined to a pretty
thin layer?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/03/2016 8:22 AM, Sonny wrote:

Exactly! That "setup cost" jargon, to me, is bogus, for what
basic-boards you need. Ask him if you can bring your circular saw, for
cutting, to relative length, the items you need.... that's about all the
setup required. ...

Nonsense. Whatever the material, there's some labor and effort required
to process an order; this isn't charity, the shop is fully justified
(and actually requires) in making whatever charges are needed to pay
their expenses beyond simply the material. On a per job basis, it's
undoubtedly more expensive for smaller work.

We have no klew from what OP's said what it is they're salvaging
here...I asked, got no response; haven't seen it mentioned by OP at all
just what it is he's getting...or if he knows.

Posted to rec.woodworking

https://img0.etsystatic.com/052/0/90...0270_c0a1..jpg

[...]

It's not a matter of capabilities, it's a matter of equipment.

If you read my original post, the reason I need someone to do a special setup
will become apparent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Nonsense. Whatever the material, there's some labor and effort required
to process an order; this isn't charity, the shop is fully justified
(and actually requires) in making whatever charges are needed to pay
their expenses beyond simply the material. On a per job basis, it's
undoubtedly more expensive for smaller work.

We have no klew from what OP's said what it is they're salvaging
here...I asked, got no response; haven't seen it mentioned by OP at all
just what it is he's getting...or if he knows.

I DO think we think alike!! However....

Exactly what am I missing? When I go buy any lumber, anywhere, I pay for the lumber and any taxes, only. All the services, up to that point, is already factored into the cost. It doesn't matter what kind of lumber is being bought.

Beyond that, if I want additional milling to be done, there is usually a set rate for the kind of additional work, type of work. I'd pay the rate plus taxes. There is no additional itemized fees, beyond that, to cover setup.... it's already factored into the planing and jointing rate.

The company's planer (tool) and jointer (tool) should already be ready to do the work... just set each's depth of cut, align the lumber, flip the switch and it gets planed/jointed.

So what the heck is the guy setting up, as for as planing and/or jointing?

The only "anomaly", in "factoring", is a small amount of lumber vs a large amount. *72 bd ft lumber @ $8(?) bd ft, plus $0.25 bd ft jointing & planing = ~~ $600. Buy the boards and have them planed & jointed by someone else.

dbp, we both may be right, but also a bit wrong....

??? I suspect, maybe, the miller's thinking, setup, is along the lines of making molding type or other profile cuts, hence special/additional setups are required for/with the different cutters'/shapers' heads and machines..

* I suspect Derby's cut list (being limited to planing and jointing?) would help the miller revise(?) the quote for the work.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/03/2016 12:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Exactly what am I missing? When I go buy any lumber, anywhere, I pay for the lumber and any taxes, only. ...

But this isn't just "buying lumber", it's getting something reclaimed
from another form and being put into the form requested by the customer.

You are buying millwork as well as the material by definition of the
product and its source. Every order is essentially custom work.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/03/2016 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you read my original post, the reason I need someone to do a special setup
will become apparent.

I'm still curious, though, as to what the "reclaimed material" really
is...do you know, do you have a choice from multiple sources, ...
inquiring minds and all that...

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Having no idea what your capabilities are, why do you need someone
to do a special setup?

No more material than is in that bed, assuming you can find your
source of stock (depending on where you live, CL is an excellent
source),cutting it to size and planing it down should be very
straight forward. A lot of planing(machine and hand) but nothing too
extreme.

It's not a matter of capabilities, it's a matter of equipment.

If you read my original post, the reason I need someone to do a
special setup will become apparent.

You said you could/would rip and crosscut. You also said "obviously they
would need a cut list before they can give me quote". If you are doing the
ripping/crosscutting all they need to know is how many board feet and the
thickness; I don't see any special setup, what were you thinking required
such?

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Reclaimed material...... Water and minerals sucked up from the ground by
a growing tree. The reclaiming process is when the tree is taken down,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Exactly what am I missing? When I go buy any lumber, anywhere, I pay for the lumber and any taxes, only. ...

But this isn't just "buying lumber", it's getting something reclaimed
from another form and being put into the form requested by the customer.
You are buying millwork as well as the material by definition of the
product and its source. Every order is essentially custom work.

Yep.
.. and the extra set-up fees will differ - depending on the size
of the material order - that seems obvious to me.
.... on a $ 10,000.00 order you might find that they will do a little
custom work for free and maybe deliver it - to make the sale ..
.. not so on a $ 250. order - where it might double your cost.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
On 06/03/2016 12:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Exactly what am I missing? When I go buy any lumber, anywhere, I pay for the lumber and any taxes, only. ...

But this isn't just "buying lumber", it's getting something reclaimed
from another form and being put into the form requested by the customer.

And I'd be real hesitant about running reclaimed stock through my
nice sharp jointer or planer.

My prettiest boxes, on the other hand, come from some reclaimed
old-growth douglas fir.... Just needed to check carefully for metal
fragments/nails then fill the nail holes with tinted epoxy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 1:11:18 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 06/03/2016 12:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Exactly what am I missing? When I go buy any lumber, anywhere, I pay for the lumber and any taxes, only. ...

But this isn't just "buying lumber", it's getting something reclaimed
from another form and being put into the form requested by the customer.

You are buying millwork as well as the material by definition of the
product and its source. Every order is essentially custom work.

Why would the lumber be in another "form"? What do you mean by "form"?

My perspective is, if the company is in the reclaimed lumber business, they should have an assortment of reclaimed boards already in stock, ready to sell, at a set rate.... The boards having been shelved/stocked in their original salvaged condition. I would assume they should have a variety of 1" thick boards of varing widths and lengths,.... same with 2", 3" etc. thick stock. They should have a variety of beams (sizes), also, and all one needs, to do, is go select what size they need.

I am not thinking the company has, say, 12" X 12" X 10' beams, only, and the beams need to be resawn into boards, as per a customer's cut list specs. If this is the case, then one needs to, possibly, find another reclaimed-lumber source.

The only thing OP needs done, as for as I understand, is the lumber needs to be additionally planed and/or jointed. Each piece of purchased lumber should already be in the basic "form" (its original salvaged condition, not resawn), for building the bed.

Otherwise, I'm just understanding the whole senario.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/03/2016 2:30 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 1:11:18 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 06/03/2016 12:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Exactly what am I missing? When I go buy any lumber, anywhere, I pay for the lumber and any taxes, only. ...

But this isn't just "buying lumber", it's getting something reclaimed
from another form and being put into the form requested by the customer.

You are buying millwork as well as the material by definition of the
product and its source. Every order is essentially custom work.

Why would the lumber be in another "form"? What do you mean by "form"?

I have no knowledge of what they're reclaiming; OP has steadfastly
refused to say. But there are a million ways to reclaim timber besides
construction lumber which seems to be all you're thinking it is--I'd
wager that is a _tiny_ fraction of the business'es form, if any.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 06/03/2016 12:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Exactly what am I missing? When I go buy any lumber, anywhere, I pay
for the lumber and any taxes, only. ...

But this isn't just "buying lumber", it's getting something reclaimed
from another form and being put into the form requested by the customer.

You are buying millwork as well as the material by definition of the
product and its source. Every order is essentially custom work.

--

Disagree. Absent the concern for nails and the likes in the wood - wood
is wood. It does not matter if it is lumber or millwork.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 3:47:26 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

I have no knowledge of what they're reclaiming; OP has steadfastly
refused to say. But there are a million ways to reclaim timber besides
construction lumber which seems to be all you're thinking it is--
I'd wager that is a _tiny_ fraction of the business'es form, if any.

Derby needs to find another supplier. He states the miller doesn't stock boards, so, yeah, that shot my argument full of holes.

Maybe post on Craigslist and the like, for what stock you need and the planing/jointing services. I'd bet you'd get better offers, than that reclaimer/miller.

Or.....

How many replies might you receive, to satisfy your order, if you posted (on Craigslist?) an offer of $500 - $1K, for the 72 bd ft of planed & jointed lumber you need? I'd bet lots!

Not a very complete lumber reclaiming business, IMO. Must be a log and/or beam reclaimer, only. Still, it doesn't take much to set up the bandsaw (mill?) to cut ~~72 bd ft of lumber. The saw(s) should already be ready to cut. Additionally, if he cuts the beams/logs without hitting nails and such, he shouldn't have any worries about the planing/jointing, which should already be setup, also. *His lumber fees should already include that risk of hitting nails, etc., if his services are limited to what's described.

The millers "setup" statement is questionable, IMO, for this senario, in that it's like an open end contract, to be generously revised, at his descretion and to his advantage, especailly with a customer who may be unknowing.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 2:24:45 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/03/2016 11:40 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you read my original post, the reason I need someone to do a special setup
will become apparent.

I'm still curious, though, as to what the "reclaimed material" really
is...do you know, do you have a choice from multiple sources, ...
inquiring minds and all that...

--

At this point I do not know what type of wood I would purchase. I haven't
been to the lumber yard yet. However, the point I am trying to make is that

The place I called said they do not stock any S4S reclaimed material.
Everything starts as rough, you tell them what you need, they mill the
material to your specs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 10:14:49 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I'm not quite sure why you find this all so strange. If I go to a lumber yard
for S4S material, I am going to pay for the milling in the cost of the
lumber. If I go to a place that sells reclaimed lumber and ask them to make it
S4S, I am going to pay for the material and then pay for the milling services.

The difference (IMO)is that the lumber yard has thousands of board feet of
every size imaginable (more or less) that somebody milled for them, while the
reclaimed lumber place is going to have to set up to mill a few pieces of 5/4 x
6 in lengths that will work for the frame, then set up to mill some 1 x 4 for
the headboard, some other size for the legs, etc. That's why he requested a cut
list so that he would know what I needed.

It sounds like his typical business is large scale orders, maybe like what
would be needed for a post and beam house (more on that later) - some rough
stuff, some S4S for casing, etc. Now, if it so happens that he already has a
large order for 5/4 x 6 S4S, then running a few extra board feet for me would
result in minimal (if any) set up charges, but obviously there would be some
milling charges. However, if I just need a few board feet of some specific size
within the next few days, and he has no other orders for that size, then I am
going to pay something extra for the set-up. True, this might not be the place
for me since they don't usually deal in "bed frame sized orders" but all it
will take is a cut list to get an actual quote. I'm not sure why you say "it's
like an open end contract" since I'll give him a cut list, he'll give me a
quote and we'll agree to do business or not.

Here's a perfect example:

I found a CL posting for a person in my area that had a post and beam house
built with reclaimed Douglas fir. The company he worked with built the actual
structure and he did all of the interior and exterior trim work. He supplied a
cut list for his part of the job and they milled the material as part of the
overall project. He now has some wood left over. He has about 70 BF of 5/4 x
4.5" (actual size) S4S that was supposed to be used for casing, but it was
supposed to be 5" (actual size). The company cut it wrong. He made them an
offer and he bought it for a really good price, while they fulfilled his
original order at the original price. He changed his mind about his plans for
the 4.5" wood and now he is selling it. He also has a lot of rough-sawn doug
fir from the same place that he bought to use as exterior trim. As one would
expect, he paid more for the S4S lumber than he did for the rough-sawn
material, since there was milling involved.

Here is the material he is selling. If I went to a place that sells reclaimed
lumber, I would expect to pay more for a small order of something that looks
like this:

http://tinyurl.com/S4S-doug-fir

Than the same size order of something that looks like this:

http://tinyurl.com/rough-sawn-doug-fir

OK, so back to my project. Unfortunately, the long boards of 4.5" S4S material
is not wide enough for my liking, but it turns out he has enough of the
rough-sawn material in the 6"+ widths that I need for the bedframe. It also
turns out that my neighbor would be more than willing to plane and joint the
material to my specifications, probably for no charge, but I'll certainly offer
him something. So I may end up buying a lot of the S4S material for the
headboards and other parts of the bed, and the wider pieces of the rough-sawn
material for the frame itself. However, the key point here is that I found
someone who is willing to mill the rough-sawn material for (probably) nothing.
If I had to pay a commercial place to mill such a small order it *might* cost
more than I want to pay.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/03/2016 9:14 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 3:47:26 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

I have no knowledge of what they're reclaiming; OP has steadfastly
refused to say. But there are a million ways to reclaim timber besides
construction lumber which seems to be all you're thinking it is--
I'd wager that is a _tiny_ fraction of the business'es form, if any.

Derby needs to find another supplier. He states the miller doesn't
stock boards, so, yeah, that shot my argument full of holes.

So why were you arguing with me about what you didn't know?

You were thinking only of what I'd call primarily a salvage operation,
not reclaiming...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 7:52:19 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Derby needs to find another supplier. He states the miller doesn't
stock boards, so, yeah, that shot my argument full of holes.

So why were you arguing with me about what you didn't know?

You were thinking only of what I'd call primarily a salvage operation,
not reclaiming...

Well, hells bells! Since when are the terms salvaging and reclaiming so very different, no matter what is being recycled? I simply use the term salvaging, rather than reclaiming, when it comes to this kind of lumber from any source.... and when it comes to any other product that is reuseable.

Derby asked us about pros and cons of reclaimed lumber, sourcing, etc., ..... from those with some knowledge. For any supplier to give even a rough quote, he would need some semblance of a cut list. My only oversight was, THAT particular supplier didn't have boards in stock.

I don't recall my frame of mind, initially, for that oversight, but my knowledge and experience, as per the product and suppliers, was that most salvagers/reclaimers have an assortment of all kinds of lumber readily available, and I responded with that in mind.

There are several salvaging/reclaiming outfits, around here, that deal with slavaging/reclaiming from, not only salvaging buildings, but sinkers, storm-felled, tree trimming/removing, etc.: Palmetto, Krotz Springs, Port Barre, Maringouin, Ponchatoula (is a huge outfit). I have either inquired and/or bought from them all of them, so this experience is the perspective from which I was thinking, when giving advice, suggestions and/or recommendations. They all have a large assortment of lumber available, and yes, they do/will cut to specs, as well. I have never been quoted for an additional setup fee for simply cutting logs into boards.... they are already setup to do 'most anything with lumber, logging, etc.

With my experience, Derby's contacted-supplier operation seemed out of the ordinary, to me. However, since he only cuts (I assume) logs and beams into boards, he should already be setup to do any cutting. Once the boards are cut, I would assume he is already setup to do any planing and jointing.

The only additional (special?) setups I can think of, for anything, is 1) milling of profiles and the like. 2) I may be behind the times, so maybe some sort of computerized setup, for simply cutting/planing/jointing boards, may be what is being used by that supplier. Still, I would think that operation would already be factored into any quote. 3) Since the outfit does volume work, the feeding of lumber is done automatically, and not by a person feeding one board at a time. As for as cutting the log/beam into boards, he can only cut one log/beam at a time, even for volume orders. Is there a setup fee for each log/beam?

But if the miller has a separate setup fee, then, to me, it would seem there would be another aspect, of the total cost, that is lower.

The only additional fee I have ever paid, and I was informed of this prior to cutting, is if a nail was hit, during the cut of a log I supplied, then I would either pay for sharpening or buy the blade. For logs not supplied by me, i.e., supplied by the miller, then any nails hit are his liability. Even the small salvaging/reclaiming outfit I've most often used, in Lake Arthur, has no setup fee. He's already setup.

Derby states:
I'm not quite sure why you find this all so strange. If I go to a lumber yard
for S4S material, I am going to pay for the milling in the cost of the
lumber. If I go to a place that sells reclaimed lumber and ask them to make it
S4S, I am going to pay for the material and then pay for the milling services.

Why, sure he's gonna pay for the cutting, planing and jointing. Those operations are already factored into the "cost of the S4S lumber he requested". I have never heard of an additional setup fee, for any similar(?) senario I've had or for anyone else. (*We were asked for advice, suggestions, pros & cons, etc., based on our experience.) Any service should already be factored in to the quote. What is it about those tools that need to be setup, to warrant a setup fee beyond what I think would be normal? Or is it the personnel, who'll perform the operations, that need to be setup? Why would the miller not automatically (no additional fee involved) accommodate this small order of X-variety lumber, while accommodating a larger order of Y-variety lumber? Is the setup the act of going fetch the log from the pile of logs to be cut? The miller has a minimum order size. To me, order size has nothing to do with "setup", whatever that is.

Derby says:
Here is the material he is selling. If I went to a place that sells reclaimed
lumber, I would expect to pay more for a small order of something that looks
like this:

http://tinyurl.com/S4S-doug-fir

Than the same size order of something that looks like this:

http://tinyurl.com/rough-sawn-doug-fir

Well, yes. You'll pay for the rough lumber, say $50, total. If you have it planed, you'll pay, say, $75 (@ $0.25 per bd ft), total. Doesn't this $75 fee include the cost of "setting up" the saw and planer.... or are you gonna pay an additional $20 for the setups. All millers I know have a set fee, only, of about $0.25 per bd ft, for planing & jointing.... and a set fee (hourly rate/other - about $60/hr) for milling logs. As for as my experience, there's no such thing as, and/or I have never heard of, an individual setup fee for each these operations, no matter what the order size or what the type of wood. To me, that aspect, of Derby's obtaining the lumber he wants, makes for an unwarranted higher cost he would, otherwise, normally pay.... unless some other aspect of the total cost is reduced.i.e., maybe he charges $0.20 for planing or jointing.

You stated earlier:
You are buying millwork as well as the material by definition of the
product and its source. Every order is essentially custom work.

Right. Buying the lumber, itself, and, additionally, the cost to have it planed and jointed. The cost of the lumber, itself, includes the cutting it off the log/beam, is my experience, unless I supply the log, then I only pay for the cutting, again, about $0.25 bd ft. In my experience, the cost for each the planing and jointing operations is about $0.25/bd ft, which includes "the setup" of the machines, which is already setup, always in its/the ready-to-work position. It's already setup, no matter what the lumber or how much!

So, why was I arguing with you? I didn't percieve it as arguing, though I used the word argument. My first thoughts was about boards in stock, the second about setup fee(s). I was trying to explain my point of view and understanding of, relative to, Derby's senario. Tell me, what is it, that's to be set up, to get his boards cut and planed/jointed, to warrant an/any additional setup fee(s)? I am simply not understanding what is to be "set up" and why there would be a charge for it (a charge for something that, seemingly, doesn't exist.). Cutting, planing and jointing are not special operations, requiring special setups. Hence, to me, a proposed setup fee is (possibly) questionable for someone (as Derby?) not knowing. Knowing that cutting, planing and jointing are not "special" operations, one shouldn't necessarily believe, be convinced, they require special setups and fees for such.

It doesn't matter if the miller did have boards in stock, or has to cut some. They need to be planed and jointed. To me, that's not a special operation, warranting an additional special(?) setup(?) fee.

Within reasonable driving distance, here, there are a number of salvaging/reclaiming outfits. I assume there are a number in Derby's area. I recommended he might look for another supplier.

Sonny