Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS Miter Gauge Question

I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gauge has a keeper on the end so you cant seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.

I can see the advantage of this (slightly) since my new saw has the blade closer to the front of the table and the miter gauge has to be pulled way back for cross cutting wide stock. In this case, the keeper keeps the far end of the gauge from rotating up as you start the cut.

Still, I (currently) find it annoying to have to move the miter gauge end off the table end to lift it off or set it in the groove. Different than how Ive done business for a very long time.

So, I am asking the group how you all feel about the keepers on these miter gauges. Please let me know more of the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2016 8:43 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gauge has a keeper on the end so you cant seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.

I can see the advantage of this (slightly) since my new saw has the blade closer to the front of the table and the miter gauge has to be pulled way back for cross cutting wide stock. In this case, the keeper keeps the far end of the gauge from rotating up as you start the cut.

Still, I (currently) find it annoying to have to move the miter gauge end off the table end to lift it off or set it in the groove. Different than how Ive done business for a very long time.

So, I am asking the group how you all feel about the keepers on these miter gauges. Please let me know more of the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Strictly personal preference and while it can be annoying at times it
prevents the miter gauge from tipping and falling off the front of the
saw. This is especially helpful when cross cutting a wide board and you
have to grab some where else, other than the miter gauge, while
positioning for the cut.
Basically you don't really appreciate it until you realize the keeper
has kept the miter gauge from falling to the floor. If you never cross
cut wider than the area between the front of the blade and the front of
the saw you may never appreciate this feature.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2016 9:43 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gauge has a keeper on the end so you cant seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.

I can see the advantage of this (slightly) since my new saw has the blade closer to the front of the table and the miter gauge has to be pulled way back for cross cutting wide stock. In this case, the keeper keeps the far end of the gauge from rotating up as you start the cut.

Still, I (currently) find it annoying to have to move the miter gauge end off the table end to lift it off or set it in the groove. Different than how Ive done business for a very long time.

So, I am asking the group how you all feel about the keepers on these miter gauges. Please let me know more of the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

I removed mine, but keep it around just in case I need it for a long
piece. But then I generally use my panel cut off

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 06:43:42 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

I can see the advantage of this (slightly) since my new saw has the
blade closer to the front of the table and the miter gauge has to be
pulled way back for cross cutting wide stock. In this case, the
keeper keeps the far end of the gauge from rotating up as you start
the cut.

only advantage i know of

well it can be good too if you use a cross cut sled for the same reasons
but more so

but do what you are used to doing

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Leon, Woodchucker and Electric Comet. I'll probably remove the keeper and put it back when I see the need.

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-4, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gauge has a keeper on the end so you cant seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2016 10:41 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
Thanks Leon, Woodchucker and Electric Comet. I'll probably remove the keeper and put it back when I see the need.

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-4, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gauge has a keeper on the end so you cant seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.....

If you are anything like me you will remove it, store it in an extra
save and secret place to never ever be seen by you again. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:46:48 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/1/2016 10:41 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
Thanks Leon, Woodchucker and Electric Comet. I'll probably remove the keeper and put it back when I see the need.

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:43:45 AM UTC-4, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gauge has a keeper on the end so you cant seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.....

If you are anything like me you will remove it, store it in an extra
save and secret place to never ever be seen by you again. ;~)

....and if you're like me, you'll spend at least a half hour weighing the
pros and cons of various safe and secret places before deciding on the
perfect spot, the one that makes the most sense for that particular item,
ensuring that you won't forget where you put it.

Then, and only then, will it never ever be seen by you again.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/31/2016 8:43 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

So, I am asking the group how you all feel about the keepers on
these miter gauges. Please let me know more of the pros and cons.

Having a PM Model 66, it's how things are intended to be!

I've used it that way for so long it's completely automagic to move it
to the rear to remove when wanting to do so.

Personally, I find the extra stability _far_ outweighs the possible
inconvenience (and, as noted, after 30 yr or so, you don't even think of
it as inconvenient; it's only until you're trained (properly I might add
) it seems so.

Not that I have an opinion or anything... !

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 09:20:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I am so guilty on that. Irritating, all those "special obvious spots"

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:46:48 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/1/2016 10:41 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

If you are anything like me you will remove it, store it in an extra
save and secret place to never ever be seen by you again. ;~)

...and if you're like me, you'll spend at least a half hour weighing
the pros and cons of various safe and secret places before deciding on
the perfect spot, the one that makes the most sense for that
particular item, ensuring that you won't forget where you put it.

Then, and only then, will it never ever be seen by you again.

The great thing is, whenever I do that I find all sorts of
useful stuff which was carefully set aside years ago and
immediately forgotten. It's almost like Christmas!

(of course, I then move the useful stuff to new places and
forget about them again).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 3:40:17 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:46:48 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/1/2016 10:41 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

If you are anything like me you will remove it, store it in an extra
save and secret place to never ever be seen by you again. ;~)

...and if you're like me, you'll spend at least a half hour weighing
the pros and cons of various safe and secret places before deciding on
the perfect spot, the one that makes the most sense for that
particular item, ensuring that you won't forget where you put it.

Then, and only then, will it never ever be seen by you again.

The great thing is, whenever I do that I find all sorts of
useful stuff which was carefully set aside years ago and
immediately forgotten. It's almost like Christmas!

(of course, I then move the useful stuff to new places and
forget about them again).

John

Of course, at the time that you find that long lost item, you don't need
it. Then when you *do* need it, well, you know the rest...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 12:47:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Or you look at it and think, "What the hell is this, and how did it
get here?".
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 11:46:48 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/1/2016 10:41 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

If you are anything like me you will remove it, store it in an extra
save and secret place to never ever be seen by you again. ;~)

...and if you're like me, you'll spend at least a half hour weighing
the pros and cons of various safe and secret places before deciding on
the perfect spot, the one that makes the most sense for that
particular item, ensuring that you won't forget where you put it.

Then, and only then, will it never ever be seen by you again.

The great thing is, whenever I do that I find all sorts of
useful stuff which was carefully set aside years ago and
immediately forgotten. It's almost like Christmas!

(of course, I then move the useful stuff to new places and
forget about them again).

John

Yeah that's dementia. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 12:47:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Of course, at the time that you find that long lost item, you don't need
it. Then when you *do* need it, well, you know the rest...

Or you look at it and think, "What the hell is this, and how did it
get here?".

About 20% of the time !

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Or you find that long lost key item just after you buy its replacement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I had a friend who remodeled his kitchen. Somehow in the process, he
lost is framing square. He lived there another three or four years
and never did find it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Probably will be found with the next remodel of that kitchen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2016 10:21 PM, Markem wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 19:10:17 -0400, krw wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 10:24:48 -0400, "John S" wrote:

"krw" wrote in message ...

[snip]

Or you find that long lost key item just after you buy its replacement.

I had a friend who remodeled his kitchen. Somehow in the process, he
lost is framing square. He lived there another three or four years
and never did find it.

Probably will be found with the next remodel of that kitchen.

Yep, right beneath one of the base cabinets. I'd bet money on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 8:43:45 AM UTC-5, Bill Leonhardt wrote:
I have a new table saw and the miter slots are T shaped. The new miter gauge has a keeper on the end so you cant seat the gauge in the slot unless that end of the gauge bar is off the table.

I can see the advantage of this (slightly) since my new saw has the blade closer to the front of the table and the miter gauge has to be pulled way back for cross cutting wide stock. In this case, the keeper keeps the far end of the gauge from rotating up as you start the cut.

Still, I (currently) find it annoying to have to move the miter gauge end off the table end to lift it off or set it in the groove. Different than how Ive done business for a very long time.

So, I am asking the group how you all feel about the keepers on these miter gauges. Please let me know more of the pros and cons.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

I removed mine, but not because I did not like it. In fact it comes in realy handy when using a tenoning jig. But my outfeed table track does not have the T slot and when it came to a choice between the slot or the outfeed table, the table won hands down. That table has saved me too many times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

Widen your out feed track slot if you can, there is no need for that slot
to be an exact fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/04/2016 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:
Dr. wrote:

I removed mine, but not because I did not like it. In fact it comes in
realy handy when using a tenoning jig. But my outfeed table track does
not have the T slot and when it came to a choice between the slot or the
outfeed table, the table won hands down. That table has saved me too many times.

Widen your out feed track slot if you can, there is no need for that slot
to be an exact fit.

Just cut the tee there, too, presuming it's a wood top, or buy one of
the insert t-tracks if don't want the slotting cutter--all that takes is
widening the groove...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. wrote:

I removed mine, but not because I did not like it. In fact it comes in
realy handy when using a tenoning jig. But my outfeed table track does
not have the T slot and when it came to a choice between the slot or the
outfeed table, the table won hands down. That table has saved me too
many times.

Widen your out feed track slot if you can, there is no need for that slot
to be an exact fit.

Just cut the tee there, too, presuming it's a wood top, or buy one of
the insert t-tracks if don't want the slotting cutter--all that takes is
widening the groove...

Not really. The out feed does not need to be an exact fit - just a
place for the miter to run into. It can be 2" wider than your table saw
slot and it will work just fine.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/3/2016 7:10 PM, krw wrote:

I had a friend who remodeled his kitchen. Somehow in the process, he
lost is framing square. He lived there another three or four years
and never did find it.

When I remodeled the bathroom in my old house, I ripped out the false
ceiling and lying on the ceiling, was beautiful pair of lineman's
pliers. The house was around 50 years old then, and I still have them.
I guess they are around 90 years old now.

Super quality and I bet the guy wondered where they went till the day he
died. Although I have no clue who he was, I think of him, and thank
him, every time I use them, which is quite often.

--
Jack
If all is not lost, where is it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. wrote:

I removed mine, but not because I did not like it. In fact it comes in
realy handy when using a tenoning jig. But my outfeed table track does
not have the T slot and when it came to a choice between the slot or
the
outfeed table, the table won hands down. That table has saved me too
many times.

Widen your out feed track slot if you can, there is no need for that
slot
to be an exact fit.

Just cut the tee there, too, presuming it's a wood top, or buy one of
the insert t-tracks if don't want the slotting cutter--all that takes is
widening the groove...

Not really. The out feed does not need to be an exact fit - just a
place for the miter to run into. It can be 2" wider than your table saw
slot and it will work just fine.

Correct! The TS table top does not have an extended miter slot to begin
with, adding an out feed does not require there to be one added other
from the fact that the bar needs room. So give it plenty of room.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/04/2016 1:11 PM, Leon wrote:

Ah, come on, guys...I didn't say it _HAS_ to, just offered an
alternative. Give it a break.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2016 5:37 PM, dpb wrote:
On 06/04/2016 1:11 PM, Leon wrote:

Ah, come on, guys...I didn't say it _HAS_ to, just offered an
alternative. Give it a break.

--

Not arguing, just trying to make it simpler. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I once left a hammer in a wall I later sheetrocked. When I realized it, I opened the wall since it was one of my favorite hammers.

The contractor's assistant who framed and finished my kitchen left a hammer in the soffit over the cabinets. When he realized that, they decided to leave it.

To me, hammers that feel right are sacred. It would take more that a little sheetrock and extra spackle to leave one behind.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/04/2016 6:38 PM, Leon wrote:

Not arguing, just trying to make it simpler. ;~)

Hadn't the alternate option already been given?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2016 9:12 AM, dpb wrote:
On 06/04/2016 6:38 PM, Leon wrote:

Not arguing, just trying to make it simpler. ;~)

Hadn't the alternate option already been given?

--

Yes! And I read your response to my mentioning to simply make the slot
wider as a possible necessary step to keep the miter gauge going

Several years ago there was a long and drawn out discussion about an out
feed table having accurate miter slots to further guide the gauge after
the cut. I was just reiterating that the grove simply needs to provide
a path and not be a guide.

Anyway.... ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Several years ago there was a long and drawn out discussion about an out
feed table having accurate miter slots to further guide the gauge after
the cut. I was just reiterating that the grove simply needs to provide
a path and not be a guide.

Roger that. If the slot had to be sized to the miter then how would
table saws that do not have an outfeed work? They've got a really
really wide slot beyond the table...

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/05/2016 10:12 AM, Leon wrote:

Several years ago there was a long and drawn out discussion about an out
feed table having accurate miter slots to further guide the gauge after
the cut. I was just reiterating that the grove simply needs to provide a
path and not be a guide.

Well, the head of the factory miter gauge has some several inches
overhang before it clears the blade entirely, so a further guide
wouldn't have _zero_ effect...

But the following was implicit in the previous post:

DISCLAIMER:

The following is for the benefit (if any were to be perceived) of the OP
under the caveat it is an express alternate technique admittedly
requiring further effort than the absolute minimum required for simple
functionality. Any who might be offended or feel the need to
pontificate further need progress no further.

_IF_ (the proverbial "big if") you're one of those that the appearance
of things is as of much (or maybe even more) importance than simply
functionality, one may find router bits with which one may create the
matchint t-slot, or one could use a commercial t-slot fitting.

Whether this is of sufficient importance to you is left entirely to your
discretion; it is provided simply to remind that there are relatively
simple (albeit somewhat more involved than "the bare minimum")
techniques which will allow for accomodation of the factory miter gauge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 18:52:07 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

I would argue that it's not just wasted effort but getting the slots
aligned perfectly would seem to be pretty difficult, with zero gain
(as has been repeatedly pointed out here).

Whether this is of sufficient importance to you is left entirely to your
discretion; it is provided simply to remind that there are relatively
simple (albeit somewhat more involved than "the bare minimum")
techniques which will allow for accomodation of the factory miter gauge.

I'm glad you added the above disclaimer. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Well, the head of the factory miter gauge has some several inches
overhang before it clears the blade entirely, so a further guide
wouldn't have _zero_ effect...

Before you continue on with this, think about the standard saw with no
outfeed table. There is no miter slot guide beyond that of the saw
itself. Now - how is an outfeed slot going to provide any benefit at
all? It has zero effect.

But the following was implicit in the previous post:

DISCLAIMER:

The following is for the benefit (if any were to be perceived) of the OP
under the caveat it is an express alternate technique admittedly
requiring further effort than the absolute minimum required for simple
functionality. Any who might be offended or feel the need to
pontificate further need progress no further.

Just what in the hell are you trying to say here? Besides trying to
sound like a lawyer, the above makes absolutely no sense at at..

_IF_ (the proverbial "big if") you're one of those that the appearance
of things is as of much (or maybe even more) importance than simply
functionality, one may find router bits with which one may create the
matchint t-slot, or one could use a commercial t-slot fitting.

You need to stop writing - this is of little more sense than your
previous paragraph.

Whether this is of sufficient importance to you is left entirely to your
discretion; it is provided simply to remind that there are relatively
simple (albeit somewhat more involved than "the bare minimum")
techniques which will allow for accomodation of the factory miter gauge.

You really need to stop trying to sound like some academic idiot. Just
about everything you have said in this post makes no sense at all.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

Well, the head of the factory miter gauge has some several inches
overhang before it clears the blade entirely, so a further guide
wouldn't have _zero_ effect...

Once the head of the miter gauge reaches the front of the
blade, the cut is complete. So I'm not seeing why anyone
would care about clearing the blade completely.

I suspose if you're cutting dados or something like that
you care until the gauge reaches the center of the blade,
but even then most of the bar is in the table slot.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 10:20:26 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/04/2016 8:57 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 6/4/16 5:37 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article om,
says...

On 6/3/2016 10:21 PM, Markem wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 19:10:17 -0400, krw wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 10:24:48 -0400, "John S" wrote:

"krw" wrote in message

[snip]

Or you find that long lost key item just after you buy its
replacement.

I had a friend who remodeled his kitchen. Somehow in the process, he
lost is framing square. He lived there another three or four years
and never did find it.

Probably will be found with the next remodel of that kitchen.

Yep, right beneath one of the base cabinets. I'd bet money on it.

I lost a framing square once and a while later noticed a bump in the
vinyl-no-wax floor shaped exactly like a framing square.

I insulated the ceiling of my garage and put up new drywall (no attic
access). I found a framing square and fairly nice (not rusty and still
sharp) crosscut saw.

Helps to even out the tool-sacrifice-to-the-Gods karma

I "found" a framing square when finishing up the downstairs in order to
sell the house in VA prior to the move to TN. It was in the framing
over the shop door at bottom of stairs where it had been for probably at
least six years after closed off the shop area for dust control and then
the basement remodel project got put aside...

When my boys were very young, I removed a knee-wall in their bedroom to create
storage shelves with sliding doors. Creating the flat portion for the upper
track resulted in small triangular "cubbies" because of the slanted ceiling.

I had each of my 4 kids and SWMBO create a drawing and write a few words.
I wrote a little about the project, the house and my family. We dated each
sheet, rolled them up and put them in the cubbies before dry walling over them.

They'll either be there until the house comes down or a subsequent owner
decides to raise that roof or otherwise remodel that room.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2016 12:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:
dpb wrote in :

Well, the head of the factory miter gauge has some several inches
overhang before it clears the blade entirely, so a further guide
wouldn't have _zero_ effect...

Actually it could be the summit of the blade. Since you could be cutting
a 3" piece of stock, and the front would not complete the cut.