Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odds & Ends and OT Stuff

Update on the small air compressor: It seems to work just fine. It "stopped" working, properly, and I questioned the HF guy. Seems my mistake was using an inadequate extension cord, but my job site didn't have an outlet, nearby, to plug directly into. HF recommended a 25' or less 10 gauge extension cord, for extension cord use. I don't recall, but the owners manual may have mentioned appropriate extension cord use.

Camp gun cabinet is being reworked, a bit. The bottom drawer is essentially not used, disfunctional, so I'll remove it (and possibly the 2 upper drawers) and make/install doors.... and install a bottom and middle shelf inside.... more useful space, than that/those shallow drawer(s). Doors should suit the overall design/looks, as well.

This weekend a tornado touched down near the farm. Will go scout for some downed walnut trees, for salvaging/milling, if they can be had for free or cheap.

OT:
Jonas' son, Ian, wants an alligator tooth necklace. I had 3 skulls in the (game) freezer, pulled them out to thaw. They were freezer dried, so I couldn't pry open the jaws. I cut the jaws from the skull and will pull the teeth, later.... or Ian will pull them. Will boil them in borax-water solution, makes for easier tooth extraction and odor reduction.

Boysenberries are ripening. Everyone likes the berries. The jelly is, often, a breakfast staple at the camp, as well. .... that and canned whole figs and jam.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 May 2016 11:35:50 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

.... you could probably go 25 yards or more on 10 guage ...
.. that's a heavy cord !
My little cheapo air compressor doesn't like extended use -
it will refuse to start/pump when it gets to its limit - 10 or 15
minutes of use .. I only use it for occasional house-holder
activities .. so no big problem ..
It will be fine again after a while idle ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Glad to hear it didn't affect you directly.

OT:
Jonas' son, Ian, wants an alligator tooth necklace. I had 3 skulls in the (game) freezer, pulled them out to thaw. They were freezer dried, so I couldn't pry open the jaws. I cut the jaws from the skull and will pull the teeth, later.... or Ian will pull them. Will boil them in borax-water solution, makes for easier tooth extraction and odor reduction.

When I was a kid I was happy for one tooth on a leather shoelace
necklace. Lucky kid.

Boysenberries are ripening. Everyone likes the berries. The jelly is, often, a breakfast staple at the camp, as well. .... that and canned whole figs and jam.

Sonny

What a life!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Update on the small air compressor: It seems to work just fine. It "stopped" working, properly, and I questioned the HF guy. Seems my mistake was using an inadequate extension cord, but my job site didn't have an outlet, nearby, to plug directly into. HF recommended a 25' or less 10 gauge extension cord, for extension cord use. I don't recall, but the owners manual may have mentioned appropriate extension cord use.

Yeah, you really have to watch extension cords. Both length and gauge
matter. For every doubling of length, you need to go down about three
AWG sizes. So to go from a 25' 10-gauge cord to 50', you would have
to go to a 7Ga wire (if you could find such a thing). Also, don't
bother with HF extension cords. The ends are junk.

Camp gun cabinet is being reworked, a bit. The bottom drawer is essentially not used, disfunctional, so I'll remove it (and possibly the 2 upper drawers) and make/install doors.... and install a bottom and middle shelf inside.... more useful space, than that/those shallow drawer(s). Doors should suit the overall design/looks, as well.

This weekend a tornado touched down near the farm. Will go scout for some downed walnut trees, for salvaging/milling, if they can be had for free or cheap.

I see some more outrageous tables in the future. ;-)

OT:
Jonas' son, Ian, wants an alligator tooth necklace. I had 3 skulls in the (game) freezer, pulled them out to thaw. They were freezer dried, so I couldn't pry open the jaws. I cut the jaws from the skull and will pull the teeth, later.... or Ian will pull them. Will boil them in borax-water solution, makes for easier tooth extraction and odor reduction.

The news had pictures of a 'gator in a local stream. They were
warning people not to come out to take selfies with it. I guess they
have to make such warnings these days.

Boysenberries are ripening. Everyone likes the berries. The jelly is, often, a breakfast staple at the camp, as well. .... that and canned whole figs and jam.

Are they the same thing as "mulberries" (tree something like an apple
tree with dark purple berries - that crows crap all over everything)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2016 1:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
Update on the small air compressor: It seems to work just fine. It
"stopped" working, properly, and I questioned the HF guy. Seems my
mistake was using an inadequate extension cord, but my job site
didn't have an outlet, nearby, to plug directly into. HF recommended
a 25' or less 10 gauge extension cord, for extension cord use. I
don't recall, but the owners manual may have mentioned appropriate
extension cord use.

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Amazon has many choices, the link below is not the cheapest, just the
first on the list.

http://www.amazon.com/Amflo-12-100E-...00%27+air+hose

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/1/2016 3:08 PM, krw wrote:

The news had pictures of a 'gator in a local stream. They were
warning people not to come out to take selfies with it. I guess they
have to make such warnings these days.

Hey, gotta keep all the stupid voters you can ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 3:08:30 PM UTC-5, krw wrote:

I see some more outrageous tables in the future. ;-)

I have in mind some chairs for the trestle table. At least the seats upholstered, maybe the backrest, too. Leon had commented about a complementary bench, so that's still an option, even with a set of chairs. Two acquaintances seem to want that table, as does my brother. I don't think the market is here, as in Houston, so I doubt I'd sell it for what Leon and Karl estimated its value as. Leon had asked that I post its final resting place..

Boysenberries are ripening.

Are they the same thing as "mulberries" (tree something like an apple
tree with dark purple berries - that crows crap all over everything)?

Boysenberries are a hybrid black berry, grown on a *briar bush/vine, not a tree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boysenberry

A mulberry is totally different.

The hybridization made for no briars, on the vines, but over time, the briars will come back on the vines. Each year, the plants sprout new shoots and these new shoots have "lost" some of their hybrid characteristics, so the briars/pickers eventually re-emerge. Wild blackberries are generally small, about the size of the tip of your little finger. The Boysenberries are twice the size of your thumb tip. The hybridization hasn't reduced the sweetness or tastiness of the wild blackberry, either.

Boysenberries are easy to grow/maintain, just let them do their thing, no messing with much care for the bushes. I do keep the bushes confined and that's easy, by staking them or "fencing" them in, as you would tomato plants. Longer runners, hanging off the sides, are simply lifted on top of the main plant body. Sprouts may spread beyond the immediate boundary, but just mow them. My plants are in a back lawn location, like a shrub on the lawn, but near the vegetable garden. They are not lawn decor type shrubbery, but planted as such. No tilling or cultivating, each year... just let them grow.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss, trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss, trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Sonny

A long time ago, the "side effects" of using a long air hose was
discussed. I can't recall whether they were positive side effects or
negative side effects. Can you remind me?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss,
trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Sonny

A long time ago, the "side effects" of using a long air hose was
discussed. I can't recall whether they were positive side effects or
negative side effects. Can you remind me?

Bill

Having used in excess of 100' of 1/4" hose when used with a framing and
finish nailer owner many years of use I have witnessed no problems other
than you simply need to slow your nailing rate to about 1 nail per second.

The OP is using a nailer type tool and these type tools are low volume high
pressure users of air. A long hose in this range of length is not a
problem.

A long dose will be more problematic when used with high volume air usage
told such as painting, sanding, larger impact wrenches etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2016 8:15 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss, trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Sonny

I ended up buying a large capacity inexpensive extension cord reel
and modifying it to hold more, to store my 100' hose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote in
:

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss,
trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Bear in mind that there is some loss of pressure over the length
of a hose, so, depending on what you have at the far end, you
might not want a mile of hose. Two 50's might be better, since
you can just use the one when it will reach.

(FWIW, same thing is true of extension cords - I'll use four 25
foot cords to get 100' if I need it, rather than buy a 100' cord,
so that I don't have excess length when I don't need it).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2016 10:10 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Sonny wrote in
:

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss,
trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Bear in mind that there is some loss of pressure over the length
of a hose, so, depending on what you have at the far end, you
might not want a mile of hose. Two 50's might be better, since
you can just use the one when it will reach.

Flow rate is reduced, not pressure, basically due to friction losses.
Probably not an issue in this application. If it is, it can be
alleviated by using larger diameter hose(s) at the compressor end.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 2 May 2016 08:02:25 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/1/2016 3:08 PM, krw wrote:

The news had pictures of a 'gator in a local stream. They were
warning people not to come out to take selfies with it. I guess they
have to make such warnings these days.

My wife reminded me that the 'gator's name is Flat Creek Floyd.
http://thecitizen.com/news-newsmaker...r-floats-photo
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/s...ek-floy/nrBpY/

Hey, gotta keep all the stupid voters you can ...

That shouldn't be a problem. There're always more where they came
from. My guess is that the police think it's too much paperwork.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2016 9:10 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Sonny wrote in
:

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss,
trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Bear in mind that there is some loss of pressure over the length
of a hose, so, depending on what you have at the far end, you
might not want a mile of hose. Two 50's might be better, since
you can just use the one when it will reach.

There is no loss of pressure at the end of the hose, measure it and it
is the same at both ends. There is however a loss of volume provided.
If you use a high consumption tool at the end of a 100' hose the
pressure may drop as a result of it not being able to keep up/supply
with demand. But with no use, the pressure is the same. So with the
use of a tool like a nail gun you will have plenty of pressure if you
are not rapid shooting.

(FWIW, same thing is true of extension cords - I'll use four 25
foot cords to get 100' if I need it, rather than buy a 100' cord,
so that I don't have excess length when I don't need it).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 2 May 2016 06:15:17 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss, trying to coil a 100' air hose.

You could use a (water) hose reel. It's not as bad as putting 100' of
water hose away. Also, forget that plastic crap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 2 May 2016 11:06:37 -0400, Larry Kraus wrote:

On 5/2/2016 10:10 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Sonny wrote in
:

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 6:58:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I have found the least expensive way around this is to buy an
inexpensive 100' air hose. They can be had for a fraction of what an
appropriate extension cord would cost.

Yep. Why didn't I think of that. Maybe two 50' hoses. I'd cuss,
trying to coil a 100' air hose.

Bear in mind that there is some loss of pressure over the length
of a hose, so, depending on what you have at the far end, you
might not want a mile of hose. Two 50's might be better, since
you can just use the one when it will reach.

Flow rate is reduced, not pressure, basically due to friction losses.
Probably not an issue in this application. If it is, it can be
alleviated by using larger diameter hose(s) at the compressor end.

Right. Flow rate is the problem. One solution is to use a small
(5-8gal) air tank close to the business end. That'll give a local
reservoir for the air so there will be less loss to the nailer (or
whatever).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2016 1:48 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:eoKdnc5wDvsDFbrKnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 5/2/2016 9:10 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Sonny wrote in

Bear in mind that there is some loss of pressure over the length
of a hose, so, depending on what you have at the far end, you
might not want a mile of hose. Two 50's might be better, since
you can just use the one when it will reach.

There is no loss of pressure at the end of the hose, measure it and it
is the same at both ends.

Without starting a lecture on fluid dynamics here, just accept
that if air is flowing, there is a loss of pressure across the
length of the hose(*).

If it is flowing. With nail guns the needed pressure is in the gun
about a second after firing but when you pull the trigger the pressure
is there and absolutely enough to fire the gun whether the hose is 10'
or 500'. The volume is so little that the pressure drop is
insignificant for about 1/2 second.

Real world the pressure drop when a nail gun is triggered is not worth
thinking about.

If you use a high consumption tool at the end of a 100' hose the
pressure may drop as a result of it not being able to keep up/supply
with demand.

Which is why I said "depending on what you have at the far end".
You're not likely to see a problem with a nail gun, you are
with, say, a sandblaster.

The original OP and original discussion was about using a pneumatic
type fastener nothing else. IIRC a stapler.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 7:11:28 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

The original OP and original discussion was about using a pneumatic
type fastener nothing else. IIRC a stapler.

Yes, 20 gauge wire staples (the metal, itself, is about 1/16" wide), for stapling vinyl, for this past job. A 22 gauge wire staple.... about the size of an typical office paper staple (the metal, itself, about 1/64" wide)..... is most often used for cloth fabric. The smaller/narrower 22 gauge staple will shoot right through vinyl. The wider 20 gauge doesn't shoot through yhr vinyl. My typical pressure is 100 psi max. As low as 65-70 psi the staples attach sufficiently enough.

Now and then, for repairing wood, broken chair parts, etc., I'll use 15 & 18 gauge wire nail.

For on-site upholstering, rarely would I ever be farther than 50' from a work site, so my hose requirement is easily accommodated. Any farther away and I'll fill my portable 6 gal tank and use that supply.... probably at least 75-100 shots (I've never counted), before refilling.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2016 8:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Unless you are rapid firing a nail gun the length of air hose will not
matter. I have used a 100' on the end of a 50' on the end of a 20' hose
to power a framing nailer for building fences.