Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Houston under water.

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 9:53:16 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 4/19/2016 11:56 AM, Swingman wrote:

Not we got all these transplants from the NE, via Colorado, like this
liberal idiot driving the Prius in the video, too stupid to realize it
wasn't a ****ing "puddle" he was driving into, and trying to swim in
water he could ****ing stand up in???

Wanna bet this guys has a graduate degree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlsIwhZHLo

... and, for the record, that ain't no Texas accent. Only thing
missing on his Pious was a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker.

Tap Tap Tap...

Excellent example on how far the US population has turned to crap...

He should have been electrocuted in his Pious and done himself, and us,
a favor.

It's an Insight. Kind of ironic, wouldn't you say?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 11:56:35 AM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 4/19/2016 7:58 AM, Sonny wrote:

The above is not our only example of poor city-drainage engineering.

What you get with poorly educated engineers, and a runaway government
whose employees are more interested in their pensions than doing what
they were hired to do.

Our city dug all the streets down in the 90's and installed a 20 million
dollar storm drainage system at the same time, got sued by the Flood
Control District (another boondoggle, ripe with idiots educated beyond
their meager intelligence), who represented the residents to the South,
and were forced by the courts to install a 9' plug in the only outlet.

Which played an instrumental part in me losing my home in 2001 ...

Not we got all these transplants from the NE, via Colorado, like this
liberal idiot driving the Prius in the video, too stupid to realize it
wasn't a ****ing "puddle" he was driving into, and trying to swim in
water he could ****ing stand up in???

Wanna bet this guys has a graduate degree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtlsIwhZHLo

... and, for the record, that ain't no Texas accent. Only thing
missing on his Pious was a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker.

So here's the question:

Is this guy an idiot even though he made it through or are you only an
idiot if you have to abandon your vehicle? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtUmQnP3IU
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

So here's the question:

Is this guy an idiot even though he made it through or are you only an
idiot if you have to abandon your vehicle? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtUmQnP3IU

How about he's an idiot for driving into that water in the first place...

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/20/2016 8:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Let's just say he was a hotdogging idiot.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 7:51:13 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:

How about he's an idiot for driving into that water in the first place...

BINGO! We have a winner!

Here in sunny San Antonio we don't get the weather they do in Houston (read: flooding)except on occasion. When we do, tragedy strikes. San Antonio is an old city that sprawled wildly until the 80s, when the engineers got serious about our flooding problems. We didn't have that many until all the open spaces started to fill with apartments, mini malls, townhomes, 10 house subdivisions, etc. So they are working to correct all of that, but some issues such as the dozens of creeks that are also roadbeds that flood constantly will never be fixed.

However, we have a solution that came into play about 20 years ago. Drive around a barricade, and you get a big fine. That didn't slow folks down much, so now you can get up to $2500 in fines for going around a barricade, even if there is no water on the road. (The barricade regardless of water came into play after cars were washed off the road by a flood wave while crossing.)

Since that didn't prevent all the offenders, as witnessed by the numbers of high water rescues, another solution was unanimously passed by City Council. If you go around a barricade you will get the fine; but if a high water rescue is required you will pay for all the equipment the city deems necessary to save your dumb ass. One of our citizens decided he was wronged by this, and took to the local news. Sure he said, he was wrong and would pay the $2500 fine without complaining. But the cost of two police cars, a hook and ladder truck to extend out to him and the ambulance to treat him for exposure after they literally fished him out of the water came to about $16,000 (with his fine).

The fireman wouldn't back off and I don't blame them. The chief said "why should I risk the life of my men and women to save people that are willingly breaking the law for their own convenience? The least these people can do is pay for the privilege of having their lives saved since they ignored common sense and the law". Here's the fun part. If you don't pay or make arrangements to pay, they will issue a warrant and arrest your dumb ass!

A couple more of those happened, and believe it or not, we just don't seem to have any high water rescues anymore. A few here and there, but it is a kick to see some giant 4 wheel drive monster sitting up a foot and a half turn around because barricades are out on a road that has about an inch of water flowing across it.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 15:35:20 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was
legit

amazing what can be done to photos but it looked real
think it was on imgur

it showed a street there at night with cars submerged above the top
of the doors and most of the cars had their lights on

strange site to see

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was
legit

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a
terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s
or 60s.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was
legit

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a
terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s
or 60s.

I think you're thinking of Tropical Storm Claudette, in 1979.
42 inches of rain in 24hrs at Alvin TX (altho there's some
reason to doubt the exact accuracy of that number, it was
a lot of rain however you look at it).

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was
legit

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a
terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s
or 60s.

nb

2001, tropical storm Allison. The event lasted 2 weeks. 36" over one of
the weekends.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a plan, But that preserves the idiots. How about if there is
a barricade and you go around it, you are on your own, period. Weed those
people out and you eliminate the possibility of those same people doing
something else that is stupid like running red lights.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was
legit

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a
terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s
or 60s.

I was in Detroit a year, or so, ago after torrential rain. The
Interstate underpasses were filled right up to the bottom of the
bridges. Wasn't happy about driving local Detroit streets from the
airport out to the burbs at midnight but getting real wet wasn't a
good idea either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was
legit

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a
terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s
or 60s.

I was in Detroit a year, or so, ago after torrential rain. The
Interstate underpasses were filled right up to the bottom of the
bridges. Wasn't happy about driving local Detroit streets from the
airport out to the burbs at midnight but getting real wet wasn't a
good idea either.

I drove through a slightly flooded underpass a few years back. The water
was deep enough to do this:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/hydroplaning-1.jpg

We had the AC on and the windows rolled up. The lady in the oncoming lane
did not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was
legit

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a
terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s
or 60s.

I was in Detroit a year, or so, ago after torrential rain. The
Interstate underpasses were filled right up to the bottom of the
bridges. Wasn't happy about driving local Detroit streets from the
airport out to the burbs at midnight but getting real wet wasn't a
good idea either.

I drove through a slightly flooded underpass a few years back. The water
was deep enough to do this:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/hydroplaning-1.jpg

I remember doing that with drum brakes. The fade got pretty scary.

We had the AC on and the windows rolled up. The lady in the oncoming lane
did not.

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

I've been on a few roads where the only way to get throgh was to take
off the fanbelt and go slow. Leave the belt on, and you were
GUARANTEED to flood out too fast and the front would rise on the bow
wave and you were off the side and into the ditch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In the 80's maybe 85 we lived in Austin.
We got 17" one NIGHT! That was a 400 year flood.

That year we got 200, 300, 400 year floods. All came across
the desert from Mexico and dumped not only rain but tornados
that dumped grapefruit size hail or flat saucier flung from the sides
and sliced the bark off oaks.

The coastal area is so flat and has poor drainage it has to flood.
A massive drainage area of most of East Texas and Central flows in large
rivers and raise more water from up north.

Right now, 200 miles north of Houston, our two rivers are running over
the banks. The large lakes are full and input = output.

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-21, Electric Comet wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

I can hear kids everywhere asking "What's a fan belt? Why didn't you just
pull the fuse?"

I used to keep a pair of vice-grips under the seat of my 66 lay-down Rambler.
If I accelerated too hard while turning, the motor would shift causing the
fan to hit the shroud. The tips would bend over and contact the radiator
causing a hell of a racket. I'd have to pull over and bend the tips back.

I still miss that car. You seem to miss your first love the most.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7c974b16fe.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I used to keep a pair of vice-grips under the seat of my 66 lay-down
Rambler. If I accelerated too hard while turning, the motor would
shift causing the fan to hit the shroud. The tips would bend over and
contact the radiator causing a hell of a racket. I'd have to pull over
and bend the tips back.

I still miss that car. You seem to miss your first love the most.

That flexibility must have been an AMC thing. My buddy's
360 AMX would flex the chassis under hard acceleration too,
altho in his case it tended to break the transmission rather
than simply bend the fan (oddly, as far as I know his 390
AMX did not flex, even tho it had quite a bit more power).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 6:41:14 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I used to keep a pair of vice-grips under the seat of my 66 lay-down
Rambler. If I accelerated too hard while turning, the motor would
shift causing the fan to hit the shroud. The tips would bend over and
contact the radiator causing a hell of a racket. I'd have to pull over
and bend the tips back.

I still miss that car. You seem to miss your first love the most.

That flexibility must have been an AMC thing. My buddy's
360 AMX would flex the chassis under hard acceleration too,
altho in his case it tended to break the transmission rather
than simply bend the fan (oddly, as far as I know his 390
AMX did not flex, even tho it had quite a bit more power).

John

There was a lot of AMC "things". ;-)

Actually, I'm pretty sure mine was a motor mount issue.

Some AMC cars ran the wipers with the vacuum. They used a vacuum
booster set-up on top of the fuel pump to increase the vacuum under
acceleration. My booster pump started leaking so I bypassed it
and hooked the lines to/from the pump together. So what if the wipers
stopped when you were accelerating onto a highway? Lift your foot, get
a wipe, put your foot back down. Repeat as required.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

Typical Big Government thinking.

How about "go around a barricade and get in trouble we don't give a
crap"? Why should the governmnent be doing _anything_ for the idiot?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/19/16 9:56 AM, Swingman wrote:

... and, for the record, that ain't no Texas accent. Only thing
missing on his Pious was a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker.

It was there, the soy based adhesive just didn't stick to the 100%
recycled print stock very well..

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 10:37:07 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Typical Big Government thinking.

How about "go around a barricade and get in trouble we don't give a
crap"? Why should the governmnent be doing _anything_ for the idiot?

I am sure that on the path I am on now I will get as bitter and cynical, full of venom for those I deem and "idiot".

Not there yet. Most of the folks they rescue these days (high water rescues here are quite rare these days) no doubt have no valid reason, but I can understand it somewhat.

An 85 year old woman driving home went around a barricade that she mistook for a "pothole marker" which a single barricade is often used to mark. She got in about 4 inches of water and panicked, stopped, and called 911. When the rescue team got there, the water was about 6 inches deep so they walked out on safety ropes and carried her to safety. Did she deserved help or deserve to die? I know your answer!

We no longer have state controlled driver's licensing, so parents are tasked with finding a driver's school that will teach their kids to drive. The schools are licensed and are state approved for operation, but after that.... only routine continuing education is required of these schools. A couple of years ago two girls, juniors in high school I believe, were going somewhere and the rain had stopped and the runoff was building up. They became stranded when their cute little girl car was washed off the road by a wave about 10 inches high. It shoved it into a creek bed, and the passenger drowned. The driver said she didn't think about the danger since it had quit raining and the water on the road was just a couple of inches when the started across. Damn beginning drivers... should they be rescued for their bad judgement?

No need to answer... I know, I know.

How about "go around a barricade and get in trouble we don't give a
crap"? Why should the governmnent be doing _anything_ for the idiot?

Poor judgement and lack of experience deserve to be punished.

I wonder how you would feel if it had been your Mother/grandmother or daughter... hopefully you wouldn't move off your principles just because it was someone you knew! (Past tense)

I love how you turn it to slam at Big Government. Classic.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 16:49:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I have no problem rescuing idiots from themselves. I have no problem
charging them for the full cost of their rescue, either. That goes
for idiots who climb mountains just because they're there, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

No you don't.

My view is that if government offers a service then the service should
be free to all in need. If the government can't afford to offer the
service then the solution is to not offer the services, not start
billing the people who use it.

[...]

RE : O/T: Hello Houston Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 8 May 26th 15 10:13 PM
Houston Guy Expo HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 2 October 16th 09 12:37 PM
Houston is cancelled SteveB Metalworking 1 September 21st 05 11:42 PM
Help in Houston arf Metalworking 2 January 14th 05 09:05 PM
For Sale in Houston Ken S Woodworking 2 October 31st 04 10:25 PM