Posted to rec.woodworking

Default planer by the inch

was thinking of getting a larger planer and was wondering about the
prices and the big jump in price as the planer width increases

mine is 13 max width but 20 makes sense but 16 shows a sweet spot

------------ ---------- -------------
planer width avg. price cost per inch
____________ __________ _____________

12 515.00 42.92
12.5 347.25 27.78
13 572.86 44.07
14.875 3060.00 205.71
15 2152.00 143.47
16 2264.50 141.53
20 4388.31 219.42
22 6012.50 273.30
24 11999.00 499.96
25 13984.50 559.38
26 12999.00 499.96
40 21800.00 545.00
55 31500.00 572.73

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:nergb8$6sm$1
@dont-email.me:

was thinking of getting a larger planer and was wondering about the
prices and the big jump in price as the planer width increases

mine is 13 max width but 20 makes sense but 16 shows a sweet spot

------------ ---------- -------------
planer width avg. price cost per inch
____________ __________ _____________

12 515.00 42.92
12.5 347.25 27.78
13 572.86 44.07
14.875 3060.00 205.71
15 2152.00 143.47
16 2264.50 141.53
20 4388.31 219.42
22 6012.50 273.30
24 11999.00 499.96
25 13984.50 559.38
26 12999.00 499.96
40 21800.00 545.00
55 31500.00 572.73

The DW734 must have been on sale. It's the lowest cost-per-inch on your
chart.

You can find the DW735 for less than $572, if you're patient. I got mine
at Lowes, they kept lowering the price every couple weeks until they sold
one. (Then it went back to full price.)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 3:48:04 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
was thinking of getting a larger planer and was wondering about the
prices and the big jump in price as the planer width increases

mine is 13 max width but 20 makes sense but 16 shows a sweet spot

------------ ---------- -------------
planer width avg. price cost per inch
____________ __________ _____________

12 515.00 42.92
12.5 347.25 27.78
13 572.86 44.07
14.875 3060.00 205.71
15 2152.00 143.47
16 2264.50 141.53
20 4388.31 219.42
22 6012.50 273.30
24 11999.00 499.96
25 13984.50 559.38
26 12999.00 499.96
40 21800.00 545.00
55 31500.00 572.73

Might be interesting to compare the weights as well...I bet most of us could not transport a larger planer to our workshop, let alone provide adequate killiwiggles to power it properly...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:20:48 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

Might be interesting to compare the weights as well...I bet most of

not so interesting to me
or at least not so much that i would do that

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Might be interesting to compare the weights as well...I bet most of

not so interesting to me
or at least not so much that i would do that

Silly me, why would I even consider that... have fun handling a half ton planer in your garden apt

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

Silly me, why would I even consider that... have fun handling a half

non sequitar

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Silly me, why would I even consider that... have fun handling a half

non sequitar

No, it's really not. The same thing occurred to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

:

[...]

Locally a 20" Shop Fox on sale under 3 grand, display model.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Electric Comet
wrote:

was thinking of getting a larger planer and was wondering about the
prices and the big jump in price as the planer width increases

mine is 13 max width but 20 makes sense but 16 shows a sweet spot

------------ ---------- -------------
planer width avg. price cost per inch
____________ __________ _____________

12 515.00 42.92
12.5 347.25 27.78
13 572.86 44.07
14.875 3060.00 205.71
15 2152.00 143.47
16 2264.50 141.53
20 4388.31 219.42
22 6012.50 273.30
24 11999.00 499.96
25 13984.50 559.38
26 12999.00 499.96
40 21800.00 545.00
55 31500.00 572.73

Price probably varies roughly as the cube of width.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 18:42:25 -0400
Joe Gwinn wrote:

Price probably varies roughly as the cube of width.

well it was just for fun and to squeeze out a trend or pattern
one would have to spend time gathering a lot of data

it is surprising how many makes and models there are out there
i also embarked into the industrial zone

of course benchtop and floor models have little to compare

there are double sided planers and planer joiners

seems door makers use large sanders that look similar to planers