Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help setting up Jet 13 inch planer/molder for molding

I am having difficulties with setting up to create moldings. My
conversations with Jet tech support seem to be falling on deaf ears.
They don't think they have a problem. I think there are depth
limitations that are not advertised in the manual or sales
literature. I would appreciate anybody out there who has used this
beast getting in touch with me to help me resolve my issues so I can
get some work done before I destroy the machine or me!

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I am having difficulties with setting up to create moldings. My
conversations with Jet tech support seem to be falling on deaf ears.
They don't think they have a problem. I think there are depth
limitations that are not advertised in the manual or sales
literature. I would appreciate anybody out there who has used this
beast getting in touch with me to help me resolve my issues so I can
get some work done before I destroy the machine or me!

Len

I've got one of those machines... What do you mean by depth limitations?

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 2, 7:42*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
wrote in message

I *am having difficulties with setting up to create moldings. *My
conversations with Jet tech support seem to be falling on deaf ears.
They don't think they have a problem. *I think there are depth
limitations that are not advertised in the manual or sales
literature. *I would appreciate anybody out there who has used this
beast getting in touch with me to help me resolve my issues so I can
get some work done before I destroy the machine or me!

Len

I've got one of those machines... What do you mean by depth limitations?

John

John,

Thanks for responding. The problem relates to setting the infeed
and outfeed rollers
during the molding process. I have placed a .pdf file on my web
site. It contains
two pages describing the problem along with figures of their
recommendation and my
concept - which could be wrong because I am missing something in the
translation. I just
don't see how you can set the rollers independently of the depth of
the knives and
still do thing like a skim cut.

You can get to the file by using your browser to go to the page:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez

Double click on the page called "planer.pdf."
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/3/2012 1:37 PM, wrote:

You can get to the file by using your browser to go to the page:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez
,,,

password protected it appears...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Try again at: http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez/www

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Sorry about that - I screwed up! Try: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez/www

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

Len,

I agree... you are fouled up conceptually! Not to worry... you are on the
right track.

When they say "maximum height of the feed rollers must not be more than
5/16" below the height of the cutterhead" I agree that as shown in the
graphic that you'd take a 3/8" cut on the first pass. However, that is the
MAXIMUM height. There is nothing that says you cannot lower the infeed
roller, as suggested in the second graphic, to take a lighter cut. However,
as actually shown in the second graphic you wouldn't cut anything as the
cutter is even with the top of the wood...

In practice, starting with your second graphic set up, if you raise the
infeed roller 1/6" and raise the bed 1/16" you'd take a 1/16" cut. If you
had to remove 3/8" to get the full profile that would take 6 passes raising
the bed 1/16" each time... not really a good idea. Unless you are cutting
wide moldings in hard wood (physically, not in terms of leaves) you can
typically cut the whole molding in one pass. Seems to me that Jet recommends
making one pass also as with subsequent passes you'd have very little wood
for the feed rollers to grab (e.g., only the peaks).

Between the roller height and bed height adjustments you can use any of the
profiles Jet (or Grizzley) offers.

Hope that helps... playing a bit might make it clearer!

John

wrote in message
On Jan 3, 4:30 pm, "John Grossbohlin"
Thanks for responding. The problem relates to setting the infeed
and outfeed rollers
during the molding process. I have placed a .pdf file on my web
site. It contains
two pages describing the problem along with figures of their
recommendation and my
concept - which could be wrong because I am missing something in the
translation. I just
don't see how you can set the rollers independently of the depth of
the knives and
still do thing like a skim cut.

You can get to the file by using your browser to go to the page:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez

Double click on the page called "planer.pdf."

Sorry about that - I screwed up! Try:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez/www

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

On Jan 3, 4:30 pm, "John Grossbohlin"

Thanks for responding. The problem relates to setting the infeed
and outfeed rollers
during the molding process. I have placed a .pdf file on my web
site. It contains
two pages describing the problem along with figures of their
recommendation and my
concept - which could be wrong because I am missing something in the
translation. I just
don't see how you can set the rollers independently of the depth of
the knives and
still do thing like a skim cut.

You can get to the file by using your browser to go to the page:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez

Double click on the page called "planer.pdf."

Sorry about that - I screwed up! * Try:https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/l-lopez/www

Len

I just happened to look at the Grizzly 13 inch planer on-line.
It appears to function identically to the Jet one. It just isn't a
closed base. The Grizzly manual that is on-line addresses the problem
in much better detail than the Jet manual starting on page 21.
Basically, they set the rollers taking the depth of the knives into
account. I will review this and try again.

Thanks all for comments

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 12:15*pm, dpb wrote:
On 1/4/2012 10:52 AM, wrote:

* * *I just *happened to look at the Grizzly 13 inch planer on-line.
It appears to function identically to the Jet one. *It just isn't a
closed base. *The Grizzly manual that is on-line addresses the problem
in much better detail than the Jet manual starting on page 21.
Basically, they set the rollers taking the depth of the knives into
account. *I will review this and try again.

I think you're over-thinking here...set the depth as required for the
profile and the pressure rollers as required to feed the material.
That's all there is to it.

--

I may be, but the manual that came from JET specifically said
not to change the pressure springs. The manual for the Grizzly says
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/4/2012 3:08 PM, wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:15 pm, wrote:

I think you're over-thinking here...set the depth as required for the
profile and the pressure rollers as required to feed the material.
That's all there is to it.

I may be, but the manual that came from JET specifically said
not to change the pressure springs. The manual for the Grizzly says
you should adjust the pressure after setting the roller height. I just
printed the Grizzly manual and will read it more closely today. The
next obvious question is "Is the Grizzly close enough to the Jet so
that I can use the Grizzly instructions"

Well, if they're ("they" being the pressure rollers here) set correctly
to begin with, you really shouldn't have to adjust them for any
operation. I presume that's why Jet says not to...

The bed position relative to the circle the cutterhead makes (including
knives, of course, the only dimension that is of any interest) controls
how much material is taken off and the infeed rollers are at a fixed
height relative to the top surface of the material to provide the
downward force necessary to hold the material from chattering and
provide the driving force to push the material through the planer.

So, they really shouldn't ever have to be adjusted at all once they're
right other than if need a tad more pressure for some heavy work.

I'm sure if you can make more sense of the Griz verbiage it's good
enough; as you say, there's no difference between the machines of any
consequence as far as operation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 1/4/2012 3:08 PM, wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

I generally concur with this when dealing with a relatively new machine with
relatively new cutters. There are a few exceptions that may show up in the
future for Len. One is that some tinkering may be needed if cutters are
resharpened as the relationship between the infeed roller and a fully seated
cutter is altered. Also, if you ignore the one pass recommendation and take
multiple passes, the infeed roller may need to be adjusted lower due to the
limited contact area with the molding profile. Otherwise this is right on!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

"dpb" wrote in message
On 1/4/2012 3:08 PM, wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

Indeed; as said earlier, our OP is making more of this than seems
warranted. I think he should just start throwing some material through
it and get on w/ life...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 8:48*pm, dpb wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
On 1/4/2012 3:08 PM, wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:15 pm, wrote:

[...]

After reading and following the Grizzly instructions on page 25
all is well. I "threw" about 100 feet through it today with excellent
results.

Thanks all fro the advice and support.

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/5/2012 3:12 PM, wrote:

After reading and following the Grizzly instructions on page 25
all is well. I "threw" about 100 feet through it today with excellent
results.

Kewl and no problem...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 8:48 pm, dpb wrote:

After reading and following the Grizzly instructions on page 25
all is well. I "threw" about 100 feet through it today with excellent
results.

Thanks all fro the advice and support.

Len

Glad to hear it worked out!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 8:48 pm, dpb wrote:

After reading and following the Grizzly instructions on page 25
all is well. I "threw" about 100 feet through it today with excellent
results.

Thanks all fro the advice and support.

Len

It occurs to me that if you ever do use hard wood (not leaves but toughness)
you could run straight, but narrow, knives through the stock to remove bulk
before running it through with the molding knives. That way a single pass
would be possible without straining the machine or knives and retain enough
surface area for the infeed rollers to grab. This approach wouldn't be much
different from how the job would have been done in the past with plough
planes first and then molding planes.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

It occurs to me that if you ever do use hard wood (not leaves but
toughness) you could run straight, but narrow, knives through the stock
to remove bulk before running it through with the molding knives. That
way a single pass would be possible without straining the machine or
knives and retain enough surface area for the infeed rollers to grab.
This approach wouldn't be much different from how the job would have
been done in the past with plough planes first and then molding planes.

Indeed...good point.

I've done the basic idea by using the table saw to cut
strategically-placed length-wise dadoes in essence for the purpose when
using a light moulder of this sort. (Comes to me now would have been
easier to use the moulding head cutter on the RAS to have done same as
your suggestion... )