Posted to rec.woodworking

Default perfect project for the scraps

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...l-3-Kit/T25129

not sure about the small wooden flag
i think cloth or leather would be better for that

has to be painted green too

pretty sure the project can done without need for the plans

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...l-3-Kit/T25129

not sure about the small wooden flag
i think cloth or leather would be better for that

has to be painted green too

pretty sure the project can done without need for the plans

All of those screws look tacky (to me).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2016 5:12 PM, Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...l-3-Kit/T25129

not sure about the small wooden flag
i think cloth or leather would be better for that

has to be painted green too
pretty sure the project can done without need for the plans

All of those screws look tacky (to me).

It was designed for kids. I imagine an experienced woodworker could
take a few hours and come up with a way to eliminate them. Nah, that
would be hard to do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:12:07 -0400
Bill wrote:

All of those screws look tacky (to me).

not insurmountable

mix a little fine sawdust with some glue and cover the screws
sand
paint green

the hardest part will be finding the right green for a green

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:36:22 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It was designed for kids. I imagine an experienced woodworker could
take a few hours and come up with a way to eliminate them. Nah, that
would be hard to do.

that is funny
a few hours sounds about right

might use staples and set the depth so the staple sticks out just
a little

golfing is supposed to be frustrating so those staples will help
with that

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 5:36:23 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/14/2016 5:12 PM, Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...l-3-Kit/T25129

not sure about the small wooden flag
i think cloth or leather would be better for that

has to be painted green too
pretty sure the project can done without need for the plans

All of those screws look tacky (to me).

It was designed for kids. I imagine an experienced woodworker could
take a few hours and come up with a way to eliminate them. Nah, that
would be hard to do.

....but a great teaching moment for the kid.

Adult: "Do you think it would look better without the screws?"

Kid, Option 1: "No"

Adult: "Then you have no eye for aesthetics. Go play in traffic."

Kid, Option 2: "Yes"

Adult: "OK, let's figure out a way to make that happen."

Disclaimer: I do not condone the practice of actually suggesting that
children play in traffic.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 09:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

...but a great teaching moment for the kid.

Adult: "Do you think it would look better without the screws?"

it seems that now if you can get them interested in woodworking you
let them be because that by itself is hard to do let alone being
so bold to tell them how to do it

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

...but a great teaching moment for the kid.

Adult: "Do you think it would look better without the screws?"

it seems that now if you can get them interested in woodworking you
let them be because that by itself is hard to do let alone being
so bold to tell them how to do it

"Do you think it would look better without the screws?" is a question, not a command. A good teacher takes his cue from both the response and (hopefully)
his understanding of the student's personality.

Some students want to extract as much information from the teacher as
possible, others want to learn on their own. A good teacher (and parent)
recognizes each type of personality and adjusts his teaching methods to fit.

I have 4 kids. (They are all adults now.) #1 and #4 welcome my suggestions
and we build on those suggestions together. #2 welcomes my suggestions and
then expands on them to the n-th degree without any further prompting
from me. #3 simply wants to know the answer to the exact question that
*she* asked. If she wants or needs more information, *she* will ask.

It took me many years to figure out how to deal with #3 because I wanted
to teach. Once I figured what she was looking for, our relationship improved
immensely.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:55:18 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some students want to extract as much information from the teacher as
possible, others want to learn on their own. A good teacher (and
parent) recognizes each type of personality and adjusts his teaching
methods to fit.

so true

good baseball managers also have this trait

they get a group of guys and if the manager is good he figures out
how to win with that group of guys

the notion applies to almost any position and parents are sure no
exception but sadly some never figure that out

as a whole i would say humanity is doing better at this than in
the past

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some students want to extract as much information from the teacher as
possible, others want to learn on their own. A good teacher (and
parent) recognizes each type of personality and adjusts his teaching
methods to fit.

so true

good baseball managers also have this trait

they get a group of guys and if the manager is good he figures out
how to win with that group of guys

the notion applies to almost any position and parents are sure no
exception but sadly some never figure that out

as a whole i would say humanity is doing better at this than in
the past

"as a whole" Classic

btw, Don't you think any manager is encumbered with this challenge?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Some students want to extract as much information from the teacher as
possible, others want to learn on their own. A good teacher (and
parent) recognizes each type of personality and adjusts his teaching
methods to fit.

so true

So now it's OK if the adult asks "Do you think it would look better
without the screws?"?

good baseball managers also have this trait

they get a group of guys and if the manager is good he figures out
how to win with that group of guys

the notion applies to almost any position and parents are sure no
exception but sadly some never figure that out

as a whole i would say humanity is doing better at this than in
the past

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

So now it's OK if the adult asks "Do you think it would look better
without the screws?"?

i missed that you were looking for an argument

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:05:07 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

So now it's OK if the adult asks "Do you think it would look
better without the screws?"?

my position was clearly stated

scrutiny is good and required but too often and it can backfire
i do not believe in free reign either

it is a fine line to walk

as you said the approach to criticism is different for everyone

posing a question might be a productive approach

for example

nice putting practice green you made anything you would do
different next time

then you could ask
want to hear my opinions

some people insist on imposing themselves into and onto everything

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:

some people insist on imposing themselves into and onto everything

Oh, the irony!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...l-3-Kit/T25129

not sure about the small wooden flag
i think cloth or leather would be better for that

has to be painted green too
pretty sure the project can done without need for the plans

All of those screws look tacky (to me).

Sorry, I mentioned it! ; )

The Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattress - Is It So Perfect? luvepiggy Home Repair 0 May 6th 08 09:23 AM
Ideas for Scraps Greg G. Woodworking 0 January 7th 08 01:56 PM
And then the scraps NoOne N Particular Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 November 25th 07 12:19 PM
Uses for scraps and chips Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking Plans and Photos 13 June 4th 07 01:40 PM
Mesquite scraps todd Woodworking 10 June 15th 06 07:32 AM