Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what happened to Grizzly in PA?

I just ordered some magnetic switches last night from Grizzly.
I went to their site and noticed the tent sales, ... hmmm no tent sales
in Muncy PA...

Hey wait, no store in Muncy PA..

When did that happen?
are they in trouble?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/2016 1:44 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I just ordered some magnetic switches last night from Grizzly.
I went to their site and noticed the tent sales, ... hmmm no tent sales
in Muncy PA...

Hey wait, no store in Muncy PA..

When did that happen?
are they in trouble?

in answer to my own question Oct 31st 2015 was their last shipment from
there.

Oh well, I would take a trip there once a year and stock up on stuff.
It was a wierd place for a machine company, not near a harbor, or
roadways. I don't know if it had rail lines to it, I doubt it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:44:10 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

When did that happen?
are they in trouble?

got a catalog and it says there are two stores with tent sales

did not know they had stores but my guess is that expense of a store
front cuts deep into the bottom line and the numbers are probably
easy to see

did not know they carried so many products either

do the stores double as fulfillment centers for grizzly
if so they might be consolidating centers to save money there also

amazon had so many trucks coming going to one center that the mayor
was going to shut them down

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2016 11:27 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

amazon had so many trucks coming going to one center that the mayor
was going to shut them down

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 13:02:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/14/2016 11:27 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

amazon had so many trucks coming going to one center that the mayor
was going to shut them down

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

Probably didn't donate enough to his reelection campaign.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

amazon and taxes are a touchy subject for amazon

would bet that they get or got a good deal to set up a fulfilment
center there and probably did not pay what a mom and pop would pay

it is possible they got big tax breaks and also possible that they
routed more products through there and the mayor could no longer
allow them to roll over him and his streets without paying for it

that is the more likely scenario

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

amazon and taxes are a touchy subject for amazon

would bet that they get or got a good deal to set up a fulfilment
center there and probably did not pay what a mom and pop would pay

it is possible they got big tax breaks and also possible that they
routed more products through there and the mayor could no longer
allow them to roll over him and his streets without paying for it

that is the more likely scenario

My understanding is that truck traffic around the Christmas holiday season was interfering with residents daily routines. This was what I read regarding the issue in Robbinsville, NJ. If somewhere else, then I am uninformed. http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2..._nj_tow .html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

amazon and taxes are a touchy subject for amazon

would bet that they get or got a good deal to set up a fulfilment
center there and probably did not pay what a mom and pop would pay

it is possible they got big tax breaks and also possible that they
routed more products through there and the mayor could no longer
allow them to roll over him and his streets without paying for it

that is the more likely scenario

My understanding is that truck traffic around the Christmas holiday season was interfering with residents daily routines. This was what I read regarding the issue in Robbinsville, NJ. If somewhere else, then I am uninformed.. http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2..._nj_tow .html

apparently caused by Amazon employees as well, not just truck traffic...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

amazon and taxes are a touchy subject for amazon

would bet that they get or got a good deal to set up a fulfilment
center there and probably did not pay what a mom and pop would pay

it is possible they got big tax breaks and also possible that they
routed more products through there and the mayor could no longer
allow them to roll over him and his streets without paying for it

that is the more likely scenario

Timing is everything. I made a joke about taxes but. . .
On the CT new last night they showed the opening of the new Amazon
fulfillment center in Windsor, CT.. They mentioned that the town gave
them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I wonder if he looked at the taxes they paid and changed his mind.

amazon and taxes are a touchy subject for amazon

would bet that they get or got a good deal to set up a fulfilment
center there and probably did not pay what a mom and pop would pay

it is possible they got big tax breaks and also possible that they
routed more products through there and the mayor could no longer
allow them to roll over him and his streets without paying for it

that is the more likely scenario

Timing is everything. I made a joke about taxes but. . .
On the CT new last night they showed the opening of the new Amazon
fulfillment center in Windsor, CT.. They mentioned that the town gave
them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.

I believe they received some tax breaks in NJ as well...Flat rate fee rather than percentage of sales/profit...Employing thousands of locals gives them some negotiation power...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-15, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They mentioned that the town gave
them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years.

Pretty much what WW does. When the 5 yrs is up, they shut the old
store, build a new one, and once again enjoy newly established tax
perks.

Allegedly will employ 800.

.....and pay them so little, employees cannot affort medical, which the
county now hasta carry. Old news.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-15, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They mentioned that the town gave
them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years.

Pretty much what WW does. When the 5 yrs is up, they shut the old
store, build a new one, and once again enjoy newly established tax
perks.

Gee, the WW stores around us haven't closed. I suspect it's because
they're making money.

Allegedly will employ 800.

....and pay them so little, employees cannot affort medical, which the
county now hasta carry. Old news.

No one is being *forced* to work there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 16:51:24 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.

from what i have heard we might say they will enslave 800

the bit i read mentioned the centers were hot and the environment
is very high time pressure where mistakes are not allowed
because they cut deep into the bottom line

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.

from what i have heard we might say they will enslave 800

the bit i read mentioned the centers were hot and the environment
is very high time pressure where mistakes are not allowed
because they cut deep into the bottom line

I'm sure they'd get ****ed if you forgot the shift key.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-15, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They mentioned that the town gave
them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years.

Pretty much what WW does. When the 5 yrs is up, they shut the old
store, build a new one, and once again enjoy newly established tax
perks.

Gee, the WW stores around us haven't closed. I suspect it's because
they're making money.

Allegedly will employ 800.

....and pay them so little, employees cannot affort medical, which the
county now hasta carry. Old news.

No one is being *forced* to work there.

Three of Sam's joint have closed in the area, all replaced with new
stores, all had tax incentives on property taxes. Which will hopefully
be offset by sales taxes.

Having bills to be paid ain't coercion, it is not voluteering either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-15, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They mentioned that the town gave
them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years.

Pretty much what WW does. When the 5 yrs is up, they shut the old
store, build a new one, and once again enjoy newly established tax
perks.

Allegedly will employ 800.

....and pay them so little, employees cannot affort medical, which the
county now hasta carry. Old news.

nb

Good reason to learn a skill and have an education.
Part time $12.25/hr Full time up to $13.25
https://amazon.force.com/JobDetails?...0000011ywSrMAI

Other positions pay more but I did not see particulars.

Amazon offers competitive packages including comprehensive health care,
401(k), restricted stock units, growth potential and a challenging and
exciting work environment.

At the job fair, Amazon officials will provide candidates with
information about the company and the application process. It will
explain what a day in the life of a fulfillment associate is like and
explain benefits, including the Career Choice program, where Amazon will
prepay or reimburse up to 95 percent of tuition for courses related to
in-demand fields, regardless of whether the skills are relevant to the
company.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.

from what i have heard we might say they will enslave 800

the bit i read mentioned the centers were hot and the environment
is very high time pressure where mistakes are not allowed
because they cut deep into the bottom line

Most factory and warehouse jobs are hot in the summer. Very few have
AC. Nor have I ever seen a place say "we don't care if you make
mistakes, no big deal"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years. Allegedly will employ 800.

from what i have heard we might say they will enslave 800

the bit i read mentioned the centers were hot and the environment
is very high time pressure where mistakes are not allowed
because they cut deep into the bottom line

Most factory and warehouse jobs are hot in the summer. Very few have
AC. Nor have I ever seen a place say "we don't care if you make
mistakes, no big deal"

Mistakes are a fact of life. Any company that expects no mistakes is
not long for the business world. I worked for a company like that and
it wasted way too much productive time to insure minimal mistakes
instead of concentrating on what is ultimately the most important thing,
the customer. They went out of business.

A mistakes by workers do not affect the bottom line on a continuous
basis. Mistakes by management that is not recognized and corrected
affects the bottom line.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Mistakes happen, but you should be striving for 100%. We can't pass
judgement on this because we don't have facts, just a comment made by E
Comet.

Are workers fired on their first mistake? Or are they fired after a few
and the worker does not care and is not trying. I've has plenty of them
over the years. Some don't make the day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-15, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They mentioned that the town gave
them $3.5 million in breaks over 5 years.

Pretty much what WW does. When the 5 yrs is up, they shut the old
store, build a new one, and once again enjoy newly established tax
perks.

Gee, the WW stores around us haven't closed. I suspect it's because
they're making money.

Allegedly will employ 800.

....and pay them so little, employees cannot affort medical, which the
county now hasta carry. Old news.

No one is being *forced* to work there.

Three of Sam's joint have closed in the area, all replaced with new
stores, all had tax incentives on property taxes. Which will hopefully
be offset by sales taxes.

Having bills to be paid ain't coercion, it is not voluteering either.

There *are* other jobs. I have no pity for people who whine about
their jobs but refuse to do anything about it. Less for people who
whine about others' jobs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Certainly, but out of 200~300 orders over the coarse of a week, and
those orders having an average of 50 pieces, is a lot of picking and
shipping. We double checked each pulled order with two different
people, other than the puller, and if a mistake got shipped all three
were penalized monetarily. Inventory counts tended to be extremely
accurate and if a customer said they did not get a part we would check
the bin count against what the computer indicated. If the count was
right the puller and checkers were still penalized. Totally ridiculous.

Because we seldom made a mistake the customers were seldom upset as our
competition screwed up on every order.

Are workers fired on their first mistake? Or are they fired after a few
and the worker does not care and is not trying. I've has plenty of them
over the years. Some don't make the day.

If the worker is good but makes mistakes it is up to management to find
a solution, whether that would be putting the employee in another
position that better suits him or dismissing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2016 9:12 AM, Leon wrote:

Mistakes happen, but you should be striving for 100%. We can't pass
judgement on this because we don't have facts, just a comment made by E
Comet.

Certainly, but out of 200~300 orders over the coarse of a week, and
those orders having an average of 50 pieces, is a lot of picking and
shipping. We double checked each pulled order with two different
people, other than the puller, and if a mistake got shipped all three
were penalized monetarily. Inventory counts tended to be extremely
accurate and if a customer said they did not get a part we would check
the bin count against what the computer indicated. If the count was
right the puller and checkers were still penalized. Totally ridiculous.

Because we seldom made a mistake the customers were seldom upset as our
competition screwed up on every order.

Can't speak for Amazon. but most picking in large warehouses is
automated and checking is a matter of scanning bar codes. A friend's
daughter works in a place where pickers wear a headset and it directs
them to the bins.

If the worker is good but makes mistakes it is up to management to find
a solution, whether that would be putting the employee in another
position that better suits him or dismissing.

Right, but the comment was made that Amazon does not tolerate mistakes.
Simple statement with nothing to put it into proper context.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 4/16/2016 9:12 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

There are 17 glassdoor reviews for fulfillment associate at Amazon.
They complain about long hours, hard work, short breaks, lazy co-
workers, and no medical, but didn't see anything about any kind of
unusual handling of mistakes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:13:04 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Most factory and warehouse jobs are hot in the summer. Very few have
AC. Nor have I ever seen a place say "we don't care if you make
mistakes, no big deal"

that is watering it down a bit or maybe i did

the amazon centers are a not a typical warehouse operation

amazon daisy chains shipments often

you buy 5 prodcuts but they cannot be fulfilled from a single place

so your shipment might start at ct then go to mo then to pa then
finally to you

increase in complexity means they have to run a much tighter ship
or the bottom line gets hurt and at their volume that would hurt
a lot

technology helps but there is always a human factor

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2016 10:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

There are 17 glassdoor reviews for fulfillment associate at Amazon.
They complain about long hours, hard work, short breaks, lazy co-
workers, and no medical, but didn't see anything about any kind of
unusual handling of mistakes.

Those are typical complaints from 90% of workers at 99% of companies.

Amazon does state there is mandatory overtime. Staples warehouse and
probably many others do that when the company advertises a specific
delivery time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2016 9:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/16/2016 9:12 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

FWIW I was totally agreeing with you. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

If the worker is good but makes mistakes it is up to management to
find a solution, whether that would be putting the employee in another
position that better suits him or dismissing.

Well, the third possibility there is that the job is set
up to make mistakes likely. In that case changing the
process is the solution - changing the worker just means
you have a new guy making mistakes.

There is a whole field of engineering, Industrial Engineering,
focused on how to set up processes to maximize efficiency and
minimize the opportunities for error.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Most factory and warehouse jobs are hot in the summer. Very few have
AC. Nor have I ever seen a place say "we don't care if you make
mistakes, no big deal"

that is watering it down a bit or maybe i did

the amazon centers are a not a typical warehouse operation

amazon daisy chains shipments often

you buy 5 prodcuts but they cannot be fulfilled from a single place

so your shipment might start at ct then go to mo then to pa then
finally to you

increase in complexity means they have to run a much tighter ship
or the bottom line gets hurt and at their volume that would hurt
a lot

technology helps but there is always a human factor

Other than eliminating necessary punctuation and upper-case letters,
How does any of the above change the issue? It's **** work. No one
said anything other. Suck it up, kid.

What happened Keith Woodworking Plans and Photos 12 August 14th 11 03:07 AM
What Happened? GROVER Woodworking 10 March 16th 08 04:00 PM
Grizzly DRO on Grizzly square column mill/drill Carl McIver Metalworking 1 October 18th 07 12:35 AM
Now it is Grizzly VS. Delta was...Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 5 February 2nd 04 11:17 PM
Grizzly G0444Z Question--no reply from Grizzly Jeff Woodworking 12 January 19th 04 03:47 PM