Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Adhesive for "less than snug" dowel?

Electric Comet wrote in news:ne8nt8$k54$3
@dont-email.me:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 07:12:52 -0700
Jon Danniken wrote:

What adhesive would you recommend?

hide glue mixed with some oak sawdust

or cut a groove in the end and then use a wedge and hide glue

if you plan on taking it to the antique roadshow talk to a restorer

Why Oak sawdust? Is that so that the brad you used "until the glue dries"
quickly rusts away so no one can tell that you used one?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/5/16 8:12 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I have been asked to re-glue a dowel pin (~3/4" diameter) on an old
(~100 year) oak chair (part of a dining room table set). The dowel pin
extends out of the lower support arm which connects a back leg to a
front leg (both on the same side).

When I say "less than snug", I mean that the dowel comes in and out of
the hole with no resistance. It doesn't really "wiggle" in the hole,
but it is certainly not a snug fit.

I was originally considering a regular wood glue, but given the lack of
a snug fit, I an reconsidering that.

What adhesive would you recommend?

Jon

Can you 'crimp' the sides of the dowel with a pair of slip-joint pliers?
This will make flutes on the sides of the dowel that effectively expand it.

-BR