Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Places to buy S4S 2x4s?

I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be
precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the
corners/edges must be square.

Any national (USA) stores that stock S4S 2x4s?

I have found one online, a plenty long piece (1-1/2" x 3-1/2" Poplar
Lumber 2x4) for less than $20 including shipping. That's doable.

http://www.bairdbrothers.com/1-12-x-...2x4-P3811.aspx

Thanks.

--

The PVC is still a possibility.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 07:03:16 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be
precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the
corners/edges must be square.

Any national (USA) stores that stock S4S 2x4s?

I have found one online, a plenty long piece (1-1/2" x 3-1/2" Poplar
Lumber 2x4) for less than $20 including shipping. That's doable.

http://www.bairdbrothers.com/1-12-x-...2x4-P3811.aspx

Thanks.

When you speak of 2 x 4s, you generally mean construction lumber. No,
you won't find any with square corners. Most do carry other wood for
finish work but usually it is 1" boards.

Your best bet is to contact wood suppliers such as the link you
supplied and ask for wood cut to the size you want. You may also be
able to get them from a local saw mill, but they may be rough
finished.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be
precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the
corners/edges must be square.

Any national (USA) stores that stock S4S 2x4s?

I have found one online, a plenty long piece (1-1/2" x 3-1/2" Poplar
Lumber 2x4) for less than $20 including shipping. That's doable.

http://www.bairdbrothers.com/1-12-x-...2x4-P3811.aspx

Thanks.

When you speak of 2 x 4s, you generally mean construction lumber. No,
you won't find any with square corners. Most do carry other wood for
finish work but usually it is 1" boards.

Your best bet is to contact wood suppliers such as the link you
supplied and ask for wood cut to the size you want. You may also be
able to get them from a local saw mill, but they may be rough
finished.

Or - you can buy a common 2x6 and run it through the table saw to get
the edges square. Much cheaper.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

The top and bottom need to be flat, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

Or - you can buy a common 2x6 and run it through the table saw to get
the edges square. Much cheaper.

The top and bottom need to be flat, too.

I guess that begs the question, how dead flat do you need it? It's easy
enough to pick out a 2x6 that is "very flat", but maybe not jointer flat.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

Or - you can buy a common 2x6 and run it through the table saw to
get the edges square. Much cheaper.

The top and bottom need to be flat, too.

I guess that begs the question, how dead flat do you need it?

The boards around here are not close to dead flat.

It's easy enough to pick out a 2x6 that is "very flat", but maybe not
jointer flat.

Maybe 2x6s are different where you come from.

What is your problem?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Excellent Idea

Alternatively rough cut cedar construction lumber. The local HD is
stocking this for out door Pavilion, Pergolas, etc. Sorta like regular
cedar fence pickets.

BUT much more expensive than cutting down 2x6 material.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be
precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the
corners/edges must be square.
Any national (USA) stores that stock S4S 2x4s?
I have found one online, a plenty long piece (1-1/2" x 3-1/2" Poplar
Lumber 2x4) for less than $20 including shipping. That's doable.

You could glue 1x boards together face to face to get any thickness you
need. Maybe glue up a couple of 1x6's and rip them to the desired 3-1/2"
width after the glue dries for nice straight edges. It would probably be
flatter and more stable than a 2x4 anyway.

Standard 1x4 lumber is available at any home center. Nothing exotic but you
should be able to find pine, poplar, oak, cedar, hemlock, etc.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-03-15 10:07 AM, HerHusband wrote:
I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be
precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the
corners/edges must be square.
Any national (USA) stores that stock S4S 2x4s?
I have found one online, a plenty long piece (1-1/2" x 3-1/2" Poplar
Lumber 2x4) for less than $20 including shipping. That's doable.

You could glue 1x boards together face to face to get any thickness you
need. Maybe glue up a couple of 1x6's and rip them to the desired 3-1/2"
width after the glue dries for nice straight edges. It would probably be
flatter and more stable than a 2x4 anyway.

Standard 1x4 lumber is available at any home center. Nothing exotic but you
should be able to find pine, poplar, oak, cedar, hemlock, etc.

+1, done this before, glue it and clamp it and good to go.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:nc8c3k$b41$1@dont-
email.me:

I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be
precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the
corners/edges must be square.

Any national (USA) stores that stock S4S 2x4s?

This is kind of contradictory statement. When you say "2x4",
you're speaking of construction lumber. When you say "S4S"
you're speaking of cabinetry lumber.

In your non-answer to Mike, you implied you need the wood to
be very flat. Whether by that you mean you need it flat, or
you mean you need it smooth, or both, is unclear.

In any event, the answer to your question is no, there are
no national stores that stock what you need.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:

I need accurately cut two by fours. The measurements don't have to be
precise, at least 1 1/2" thick by at least 3 1/2" wide, but the
corners/edges must be square.

sharp edged corners or square faced

kiln dried will be square faced but square sharp corners is a
different kettle of fish

you might try contacting a sawmill directly but if you need just
a couple that would not be feasible

but sometimes they can oblige if you have the $$

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 12:56:32 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

kiln dried will be square faced but square sharp corners is a
different kettle of fish

Kiln dried studs, kiln dried framing materials, kiln dried decking materials, and on an on... all available and have rounded corners. That makes Mike's suggestion make even more sense as kiln dried wood is available everywhere, so cutting square corners by ripping would a 5 minute job.

Robert