Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default PVC board, 1 1/2 inch thick?

PVC board! I just noticed PVC board at the local hardware store.

Apparently it's solid material. So it can be cut, routed, etc.

It looks very inexpensive compared to some other plastics, for stock.

Do they sell it in dimensions like a 2 x 4? I need at least 1 1/2 inch
thick by at least 3 inches wide.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 01:23:21 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

PVC board! I just noticed PVC board at the local hardware store.

Apparently it's solid material. So it can be cut, routed, etc.

It looks very inexpensive compared to some other plastics, for stock.

Do they sell it in dimensions like a 2 x 4? I need at least 1 1/2 inch
thick by at least 3 inches wide.

Sounds expensive. How do you fasten it? PVC glue?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message ...

PVC board! I just noticed PVC board at the local hardware store.

Apparently it's solid material. So it can be cut, routed, etc.

It looks very inexpensive compared to some other plastics, for stock.

Do they sell it in dimensions like a 2 x 4? I need at least 1 1/2 inch
thick by at least 3 inches wide.

Thanks.

Assuming you are in the US, the best way to begin any "I wonder what's
available and how much it costs?" search for stock is to go to
www.mcmaster.com and browse. That way you find out what materials are
available and in what size ranges, and you get a price point. They have a
great selection and awesome service; if you are within 100 miles or so of a
warehouse and order by 5 PM you usually have it the next day by UPS ground.
If you need a small quantity and need it next day, just order it because
beating that price and delivery without having to meet a minimum order
quantity is going to be tough and you will spend more in your labor than you
will save. If you can buy wholesale in medium quantity from a materials
distributor (Total Plastics, a local steel company, etc.), you can usually
beat their price by a factor of 2-3 but will need an account, usually have
to spend more than some minimum like $75-125 per order, and delivery will be
anywhere from next day to a week. In this case, search for pvc, then click
on type I pvc in the results box (unless you need type II), then click
sheets and bars if necessary, and look. I see 1.5" x 3" in lengths of 1, 2,
3, or 4' at $32/foot. At the top of the page there is a link "more about
plastics", and below that another link to properties, if you want to see the
specs on different plastics. You can also select type II pvc instead of
type I and see those specs. As far as I'm concerned mcmaster has the best
ecommerce web site going, for searchability and just general ability to find
stuff, so always start a "what if" there. As an example, in my previous job
I bought a lot of plastic from the closest Sabic Polymershapes office in
Jessup, MD, including having 2-4 4x8' sheets per order, 2-3 orders per year,
of 1/2" thick type I pvc sawed to my dimensions of 3" x 5" and 3" x 7" so we
could machine products from them. I forget the exact numbers but including
paying to have it cut it was about 3x cheaper than mcmaster carr, free
delivery included via their truck instead of paying UPS, and we still would
have had to cut the mcmaster material up ourselves. So, if you want one 4'
piece, order from mcmaster. If you need lots and lots, check your yellow
pages to see how close a Sabic Polymershapes (Sabic bought the GE Polymers
division) or Total Plastics is, and call them for a quote.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
"John Doe" wrote in message ...

[...]

At Segway I ordered some PVC angle stock from MMC and what I received
was too distorted to use.
--jsw

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 03/14/2016 8:23 PM, John Doe wrote:
PVC board! I just noticed PVC board at the local hardware store.

Apparently it's solid material. So it can be cut, routed, etc.

It looks very inexpensive compared to some other plastics, for stock.

Do they sell it in dimensions like a 2 x 4? I need at least 1 1/2 inch
thick by at least 3 inches wide.

You mean the Azek and/or Trex and similar composite product at the BORG?
What they carry afaik is decking and trim pieces that are nominal 1X
or 5/4 for decking by various width. The 1X is 3/4" actual and the 5/4
is 1.3" actual thickness.

There are some manufacturers ("PlasticLumber" is one but I've never seen
their product at retail) who do make nominal tuba-X structural
equivalents; not sure about a) whether Trex/Azek do or are limited to
decking and trimboard or b) if they do, the BORGs carry it.

It is solid, yes, it has differing finish porosity and roughness on cut
edges depending on the manufacturer and direction of cut so depends on
what you need as to how suitable it may be for the purpose. It doesn't
have the same solid internal structure as do the stock sheets/bars,
etc., referenced by others that McMaster/etc., are listing which
accounts for the pricing difference.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"John Doe" wrote in message ...

[...]

I've had a very few problems over the years, maybe 5-10 out of at least 2000
orders over 13 years doing purchasing at that company, and they were always
resolved with just a phone call. Depending on the problem and the value of
the item they would either say just keep it, or issue a call tag for UPS to
return the item, and would issue a credit or ship a replacement immediately,
not after they received the return. They aren't perfect, but they are close
and they try hard :-). Did you contact them for a replacement or refund?

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

[...]

Since there were no dimensional tolerance specs on it I couldn't say
they didn't meet them, and I had already found a better insulator, and
didn't want to offend the shop foreman who had ordered it for me, so I
just cut some off as though I'd used it and tossed the rest onto the
stock rack. It wasn't as rigid as I had expected based on (mis)using
PVC water pipe and conduit structurally.

Engineering personnel can easily make themselves unwelcome in the
machine shop for many reasons, especially leaving a mess or breaking
things without telling anyone. I had to be very careful in Segway's
shop and patiently tolerant of engineers who messed up mine at Mitre.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

The dominant brand of this in the building industry is "Azek". Commonly
available at lumber yards and Home Depot, Lowes. Lower cost competitors
are also on the scene.

Glue-able with PVC pipe cement.

http://www.azek.com/

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

The dominant brand of this in the building industry is "Azek".

I use several hundreds of board feet of Celtek Expanded PVC board per
month. It's a common material for marine use, and works well for pretty
much anything that must be stable and moisture-proof.

Plus, as Bob indicates, it can be glued with ordinary PVC cement.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article , says...

[...]

Remember, with vinyl a vew minutes with a heat gun can correct most
distortions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote:

Apparently it's solid material. So it can be cut, routed, etc.

the dust is bad

if you work it in your shop and you use your sawdust for other
purposes then you might not want to mix pvc dust in