Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default PVC board, 1 1/2 inch thick?

On 03/14/2016 8:23 PM, John Doe wrote:
PVC board! I just noticed PVC board at the local hardware store.

Apparently it's solid material. So it can be cut, routed, etc.

It looks very inexpensive compared to some other plastics, for stock.

Do they sell it in dimensions like a 2 x 4? I need at least 1 1/2 inch
thick by at least 3 inches wide.

You mean the Azek and/or Trex and similar composite product at the BORG?
What they carry afaik is decking and trim pieces that are nominal 1X
or 5/4 for decking by various width. The 1X is 3/4" actual and the 5/4
is 1.3" actual thickness.

There are some manufacturers ("PlasticLumber" is one but I've never seen
their product at retail) who do make nominal tuba-X structural
equivalents; not sure about a) whether Trex/Azek do or are limited to
decking and trimboard or b) if they do, the BORGs carry it.

It is solid, yes, it has differing finish porosity and roughness on cut
edges depending on the manufacturer and direction of cut so depends on
what you need as to how suitable it may be for the purpose. It doesn't
have the same solid internal structure as do the stock sheets/bars,
etc., referenced by others that McMaster/etc., are listing which
accounts for the pricing difference.