Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Future of cabinet making...

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 13:13:23 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 3/3/2016 11:58 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
snip
If we are going to survive we are going to have to compete with the
world. We are going to have to swallow the pill and realize that what
we expect to be paid is simply not worth 10 times that of a person
that delivers a product 95% as good.

Either we're going to teach people 'right' from 'wrong', or the crime
rate may continue to rise. A lot of people seem to like their smart
phones.

It was interesting to read what you wrote, because it was a little like
memory lane (family eating together at the dinner table.., until some
time in the early 70s or so). So no, I don't disagree with you. I
understand basic economics. OTOH, the "relative pay" of people in an
organization could probably use some balancing. Making a few people
"absurdly-rich" off the backs of the masses doesn't seem right. I would
even say that some of the organizations are stealing from their
shareholders (who are among the masses) in this way.

Bill

Agreed

Kinda works with the 10 times more pay thing. ;~)

Some asian companies have a rule that the highest paid person in the
company can only make a certain multiple of the lowest paid person. I
think it's a multiple which is a lot lower than 1,000 --which is
probably not too far off for many large companies these days. This in
not unrelated to the current politics, where it seems many aren't in
favor of a political dynasty (be it Clinton (D) or Bush(R)).

There are all sorts of stories about such, but every one I've seen is
BS. They "forget" things like company stock and other perks. It's a
silly idea anyway but pretending is worse, IMO.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 10:01:29 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

The more machines that do the work, the more valuable the ability to
fill the resulting voids/niches becomes.

IOW, bring on all those machines, eh Leon? LOL

Karl... did I sense a snort of derision in that post? LOL!!

Personally, I embrace valid technology (had to be vetted first) and will adopt any of it that makes me money. I don't feel threatened by machines or even other contractors when comparing apples to apples. My whole business for the last two decades has been built on maintenance, repair, rehab, and repurposing. No machine can do that.

We are on the same page.

I know a machine cannot take down, mortise in new hinges, and rehang an 8' stained glass door. I did that last year and refitted hardware as needed to operate properly.

I know a machine cannot rehang cabinet doors to straighten out their appearance on cabinets that have been sagging for almost 40 years.

Positive that a machine cannot cut a reglet into a fireplace built from odd sized river stones and then flash/counter flash after grinding down individual stones as need for a good fit. Then seal it, and re install the concrete tile roof over ice and water shield.

Not worried about all the other "different" kinds of work that is passed my way leaving me for a machine. Tomorrow I am going to look at the interior framing details on a flat roof in a small commercial building to see if part of it can be lifted, straightened, then reroofed. At the least I will get my consulting fee (which is probably all I will get!)but I will write a Jim Dandy report for them.

Although I haven't found "riches in niches", I found out decades ago that my phone will continue to ring if I will do the work others won't, learn skills that others don't have, invest in the right tools, and to take it a step further, provide and elegant and affordable solution for a client's needs..

Right there with you, big guy.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2016 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

I quoted him a price below my comfort range and apparently that was too
much. Having access to those type antiques I'm sure he got a deal and
expected an even better deal from me. I don't really think he
appreciated the fact that I was going to build something worthy of
holding an antique of this size.

As you well know, he did you a BIGGGGG favor by not accepting your bid.

I can't think of a single instance, out of hundreds, that bidding lower
than my comfort zone, and getting the job, did not end up in some kind
of misery for me.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2016 10:02 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/3/2016 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

I quoted him a price below my comfort range and apparently that was too
much. Having access to those type antiques I'm sure he got a deal and
expected an even better deal from me. I don't really think he
appreciated the fact that I was going to build something worthy of
holding an antique of this size.

As you well know, he did you a BIGGGGG favor by not accepting your bid.

Especially with the "special pricing" I really did not want to move
that big SG window out of his apartment.

I can't think of a single instance, out of hundreds, that bidding lower
than my comfort zone, and getting the job, did not end up in some kind
of misery for me.

;~) I thought the job would be fun, not complicated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2016 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

I quoted him a price below my comfort range and apparently that was too
much. Having access to those type antiques I'm sure he got a deal and
expected an even better deal from me. I don't really think he
appreciated the fact that I was going to build something worthy of
holding an antique of this size.

As you well know, he did you a BIGGGGG favor by not accepting your
bid.

Especially with the "special pricing" I really did not want to move
that big SG window out of his apartment.

You could have asked him to deliver it, and pick it up. Then you
wouldn't have the liability for it hanging over your shoulder either.
And having it in your way, it would encourage you to complete the work
faster! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2016 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

I quoted him a price below my comfort range and apparently that was too
much. Having access to those type antiques I'm sure he got a deal and
expected an even better deal from me. I don't really think he
appreciated the fact that I was going to build something worthy of
holding an antique of this size.

As you well know, he did you a BIGGGGG favor by not accepting your
bid.

Especially with the "special pricing" I really did not want to move
that big SG window out of his apartment.

You could have asked him to deliver it, and pick it up. Then you
wouldn't have the liability for it hanging over your shoulder either.
And having it in your way, it would encourage you to complete the work
faster! ; )

Bill

Too big to fit in his car and he has no truck. :~(

BUT as Swingman said it was probably a blessing. I was trying to do him
a favor. I have learned that if you don't want a job, over price the
bid, and then I'm perfectly willing to do it at that price and oddly
they usually jump at the chance. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Years ago today's necessities were a luxury which the common family
could not afford. I recall the days when air conditioning... snipped

I thought this post was interesting enough to discuss and thereafter
send to a family member!
I'm sure lots of folks here have seen it all for themselves, but it's
nice to have some of the details laid out, such as they are, in Leon's post.

Bill