Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New tool

Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/16 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw

That IS nice! I made a jig to do that same thing, but I like that much
better.
It takes us less room and is more flexible that mine, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw

Not I, said the pig ...

There's a damned good reason he started, and finished, before the ends
of the work piece.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:44 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw

Not I, said the pig ...

There's a damned good reason he started, and finished, before the ends
of the work piece.

Yeah, but the point is that it is easier to hold the router square to
the counter top.

Am I missing something here?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw

Not I, said the pig ...

There's a damned good reason he started, and finished, before the ends
of the work piece.

Yeah, but the point is that it is easier to hold the router square to
the counter top.

Am I missing something here?

Big honkin' router to take off 1/16" of 3/4" material?

Kind of why god, in her infinite wisdom, made the Bosch Colt ...

IME, having trimmed thousands of liner feet of banding on counter tops
and shelving material with a flush trim bit, the most difficult area to
get a clean cut, without a tendency to tip, is at both the start and
finish of a horizontal cut.

My bet that is why they did not show a full length cut for that very
reason. AAMOF, you can clearly see the shaky, non-square start, despite
being well away of the end.

Despite that piece of pipe, I want gravity working in my favor, much
more control that way, IME.

But, hell after all, it was designed by a "cabinetmaker", so it must be
great, eh?

Bonjour! lol

And from FastCap, no less, another master of solutions looking for a
problem.

Bah, humbug.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

HAHA!! This guy up there, sheesh. You Grinch, you. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw

Not I, said the pig ...

There's a damned good reason he started, and finished, before the ends
of the work piece.

Yeah, but the point is that it is easier to hold the router square to
the counter top.

Am I missing something here?

What am I missing? I agree with Karl. With the "aid" mounted at the
out edge of the router base it will provide stability right up to the
edge. He started in a bit and moved the router to avoid a climb cut.
He could slowly move closer, in a climb cut, to get it right to the
edge. He was prohibited from completing the trimming as he pulled the
router towards himself by 1) the clamp holding the workpiece down and 2)
the "aid" being on the wrong side of the cut. Both of these impediments
are correctable and I think that with care he could trim that edging
flush from end to end. I'm also thinking that it would not be difficult
to jerry rig an "outrider" like that yourself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Er, ah, strike that! I meant that I agree with Leon. Karl, you ARE a
grinchg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The aid comes in keeping the router square to the edge. One problem
with doing this procedure is the very small surface the router base has
to ride on. With practice and a smaller router (ie; Karl's Bosch Colt
suggestion) this isn't that necessary. But for those simpletons still
walking around this world with a single router like myself, having a
fence or other guide to help keep the router perpendicular to the
cutting surface sure helps a lot.

I'm not sure of the guy in the video was putting it to its best use, but
I can see how it would help accomplish the goal.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The lipper can be on the lead or trail position. Let it trail when
coming towards the end of the run. AND FWIW I was wishing I had it for
counter tops that I have added trim to in the past. No clamps in the way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Actually ;~)

BILL! Are you watching? ;!)

Festool uses a similar approach at about 10:30 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB9WhNdgP0k

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 6:32:01 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Kind of why god, in her infinite wisdom, made the Bosch Colt ...

And likewise the DeWalt laminate kit. I remember when you got the Colt and we were comparing notes. DeWalt just happened to have their router kit on sale that had almost all the different guides, and hardware needed to do everything laminate. I got the DeWalt because of what the kit came with, but also the readily available roller guides, etc.

IME, having trimmed thousands of liner feet of banding on counter tops
and shelving material with a flush trim bit, the most difficult area to
get a clean cut, without a tendency to tip, is at both the start and
finish of a horizontal cut.

Yup.

My bet that is why they did not show a full length cut for that very
reason. AAMOF, you can clearly see the shaky, non-square start, despite
being well away of the end.

Yup.

But, hell after all, it was designed by a "cabinetmaker", so it must be
great, eh?

Part of my job for a few years was to make laminate tops from scratch (we used 3/4" Doug pine it was so long ago!!) and the guy that taught me worked out every detail so you didn't paint yourself in a corner with your edging and trimming. With the details properly thought out (remember... we didn't have trim routers 40 years ago...) a plain router and laminate trimmer should be all you need.

I agree with Karl, that looked like a solution looking for a problem. I truly doubt it works that well.

Robert (Grinch #2)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2016 1:28 AM, wrote:
[...]

I'm far from an expert, and more so that of Swingman, and even I saw
this as a gimmick and agree with SM. I've done enough trim routing and
never find it difficult to hold the router square.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw

I wonder if the scratch on the veneer is from this gizmo... ??

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/10/2016 5:37 PM, Leon wrote:
Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with
counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYz1idJxssw

Obviously a trim router would be the tool of choice and like Robert
indicated there were none of those around 25-30 years ago. But this
accessory is a heck of a lot less expensive than a trim router if you
don't have one. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Er, ah, strike that! I meant that I agree with Leon. Karl, you ARE a
grinchg

Make up yer mind, whichever way the wind blows, eh ... g,d & r

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stop the presses!

I found exactly who will need that appliance:

http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/Ro...eghcb.jpg.html

Note the technique. Holding the guide bearing off the surface leaving it nothing to ride on or "guide" is a method I am not familiar with. I'll bet if he would pop one of those guides on that machine he would get a lot better cut trying to freehand like the picture than he would using only one. Who needs a guide bearing on a flush cut bit anyway?

Robert