Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF tool alert

me
Item #69544 3pc wood chisel set.

Great buy! $5.60 after your 20% coupon.

Been beating on the 1" chisel for almost 3 months doing a basement demolition and remodel. 800 sq. ft. Lots of notching for pipes etc.
Still sharp enough to mortise a door hinge by simply pushing chisel.
No, not as good as my Sandvik set, but if I drop it on the concrete, or hit a nail - nothing lost. Haven't even touched the two smaller (1/2" and 3/4") ones.
No connection to HF. Just an old fart creating a separate living unit in daughter's basement. Yes, with a building permit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
me
Item #69544 3pc wood chisel set.

Great buy! $5.60 after your 20% coupon.

Been beating on the 1" chisel for almost 3 months doing a basement demolition and remodel. 800 sq. ft. Lots of notching for pipes etc.
Still sharp enough to mortise a door hinge by simply pushing chisel.
No, not as good as my Sandvik set, but if I drop it on the concrete, or hit a nail - nothing lost. Haven't even touched the two smaller (1/2" and 3/4") ones.
No connection to HF. Just an old fart creating a separate living unit in daughter's basement. Yes, with a building permit.

What is a building permit? I've had work done on our house and shop
by contractors. Never saw a building permit.

--
GW Ross

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more
people happy?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2015 4:57 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
me
Item #69544 3pc wood chisel set.

Great buy! $5.60 after your 20% coupon.

Been beating on the 1" chisel for almost 3 months doing a basement
demolition and remodel. 800 sq. ft. Lots of notching for pipes etc.
Still sharp enough to mortise a door hinge by simply pushing chisel.
No, not as good as my Sandvik set, but if I drop it on the concrete,
or hit a nail - nothing lost. Haven't even touched the two smaller
(1/2" and 3/4") ones.
No connection to HF. Just an old fart creating a separate living unit
in daughter's basement. Yes, with a building permit.

What is a building permit? I've had work done on our house and shop by
contractors. Never saw a building permit.

Seriously? Some zones do not allow building or additions with out
permission. Imagine adding a room onto your home, in the basement,
maybe a bedroom with no windows. Try to sell the home and have to
remove the room because of code violations.
Granted some things do not need a building permit but it is prudent to
check before construction begins.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Yeah, some people live in commie jurisdictions. Most wouldn't know
the difference unless it can be seen from the outside (Google Earth,
and such, have become popular by tax assessors. That's really the
key. They want their taxes.

Granted some things do not need a building permit but it is prudent to
check before construction begins.

Depending on what it is, I might get one but never for internal
modifications.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2015 12:48 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
me
Item #69544 3pc wood chisel set.

Great buy! $5.60 after your 20% coupon.

Been beating on the 1" chisel for almost 3 months doing a basement demolition and remodel. 800 sq. ft. Lots of notching for pipes etc.
Still sharp enough to mortise a door hinge by simply pushing chisel.
No, not as good as my Sandvik set, but if I drop it on the concrete, or hit a nail - nothing lost. Haven't even touched the two smaller (1/2" and 3/4") ones.
No connection to HF. Just an old fart creating a separate living unit in daughter's basement. Yes, with a building permit.

You were doing great until you spoiled the story with the "building
permit"g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 10:48:40 -0800 (PST)
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Great buy! $5.60 after your 20% coupon.

that is cheap and probably less than buying some used
i may be get a set just to have around

at that price when they get dull it would be cheaper to buy a set again

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, a new set would be cheaper.
Had my Sandvik set re-ground and sharpened at a commercial shop. $6 per chisel!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Yes, a new set would be cheaper.
Had my Sandvik set re-ground and sharpened at a commercial shop. $6 per chisel!

Starbucks gets that for a cup of coffee. If you just have 1 that's not
too bad. These are not expensive chisels we're talking about, right? If
that's the case, might as well DIY.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2015 8:42 PM, krw wrote:

Depending on what it is, I might get one but never for internal
modifications.

Same here. I send extra tax money though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:45:44 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/14/2015 8:42 PM, krw wrote:

Depending on what it is, I might get one but never for internal
modifications.

Same here. I send extra tax money though.

I would if I added more finished space or a bathroom, or such. Never
for electrical modifications, partitions, sheetrock, or such. When I
finish the basement I'll keep the ceilings open, which will make it
technically "unfinished space" (no bathroom or heat, either) so I
won't pull a permit.

When I sold my Vermont house, I had to pay a special assessment (close
to $5000) to call it a three bedroom house. The builder permitted it
as a two bedroom, though it clearly has three. There was a special
school tax based on bedrooms, so I got nailed. Really dumb.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 10:33:09 -0800 (PST)
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Yes, a new set would be cheaper.

i also like the shaft going all the way through the handle rather than
#69471 or #42429

i have a leevalley set but they came sharped with a micro-bevel and
use them once in a while so they are still sharp

with these hf ones the leevally ones will be saved for careful work