Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bessey Deal at Rockler

Fantastic pricing.
6 clamps for 179 Plus a bessey stool

http://www.rockler.com/bessey-pneuma...lel-clamp-pack

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2015 8:36 AM, woodchucker wrote:
Fantastic pricing.
6 clamps for 179 Plus a bessey stool

http://www.rockler.com/bessey-pneuma...lel-clamp-pack

Thia IS a good deal but these are the Bessey JUNIOR Revo clamps.

I ended up ordering Jet, gasp, From International Tool.

I'll add pads to the faces.

http://www.internationaltool.com/spe...ign=nwlsnov15e
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2015 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/26/2015 8:36 AM, woodchucker wrote:
Fantastic pricing.
6 clamps for 179 Plus a bessey stool

http://www.rockler.com/bessey-pneuma...lel-clamp-pack

Thia IS a good deal but these are the Bessey JUNIOR Revo clamps.

I ended up ordering Jet, gasp, From International Tool.

I'll add pads to the faces.

http://www.internationaltool.com/spe...ign=nwlsnov15e

That looks like a really attractive price. But they mar the wood? Do you
mean that you see a rectangle on the wood afterward, corresponding with
the edges of the clamp face? What sort of pads do you intend to put on
them

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2015 9:39 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 11/26/2015 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/26/2015 8:36 AM, woodchucker wrote:
Fantastic pricing.
6 clamps for 179 Plus a bessey stool

http://www.rockler.com/bessey-pneuma...lel-clamp-pack

Thia IS a good deal but these are the Bessey JUNIOR Revo clamps.

I ended up ordering Jet, gasp, From International Tool.

I'll add pads to the faces.

http://www.internationaltool.com/spe...ign=nwlsnov15e

That looks like a really attractive price. But they mar the wood? Do you
mean that you see a rectangle on the wood afterward, corresponding with
the edges of the clamp face? What sort of pads do you intend to put on
them

Yes my Jets, which I have had for several years, will leave an
imprint/impression on the work If I don't use a scrap piece of wood
between the clamp and the work.

None the less I ordered 2-24" and 2-31" for less than $100 shipped.
The Jets tend to have all of the best features in one clamp aside from
the above stated fact. For 50% off I can figure out a way to attach a
buffer to the clamp faces.

I will probably attach some scrap mahogany, walnut, or poplar pads,
something as soft or softer than the wood I am clamping. And I'll use
rare earth magnets to attach them with.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/2015 9:17 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I wonder if simply easing the edges of the clamp faces with sandpaper
would fix it.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/2015 9:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 11/27/2015 9:17 AM, Leon wrote:

[snip]

None the less I ordered 2-24" and 2-31" for less than $100 shipped.
The Jets tend to have all of the best features in one clamp aside from
the above stated fact. For 50% off I can figure out a way to attach a
buffer to the clamp faces.

I will probably attach some scrap mahogany, walnut, or poplar pads,
something as soft or softer than the wood I am clamping. And I'll use
rare earth magnets to attach them with.

I wonder if simply easing the edges of the clamp faces with sandpaper
would fix it.

Possibly, but I'm thinking that the damage to the workpiece he's trying
to prevent is more a function of the relatively small footprint of the
clamp faces and the claim that they will exert up to 1,000 lbs clamping
pressure. Think along the lines of a woman's high heel on a wood floor
or vinyl tile. Something will give with that pressure and it won't be
the heel.

Maybe he just needs a caul... ah, but what type?g

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

That might be worth a try. Anyway here is one of three doors I glued up
yesterday. I used Cabinet Master, Bessey, and the Jet clamps. All
looked fine after removing the clamps except this door clamped with the
Jet. Oddly the fixed end of the clamp did not leave marks.
Look closely and you will see two vertical lines about 2" apart.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/15 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:
That looks like a really attractive price. But they mar the wood? Do you
mean that you see a rectangle on the wood afterward, corresponding with
the edges of the clamp face? What sort of pads do you intend to put on
them

Yes my Jets, which I have had for several years, will leave an
imprint/impression on the work If I don't use a scrap piece of wood
between the clamp and the work.

None the less I ordered 2-24" and 2-31" for less than $100 shipped.
The Jets tend to have all of the best features in one clamp aside from
the above stated fact. For 50% off I can figure out a way to attach a
buffer to the clamp faces.

Woodcraft has all the Jets on sale for 50% off.
Couldn't help myself and picked up a pair of 31's and a pair of 40's.
I might actually go back for more.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/15 3:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/27/15 8:17 AM, Leon wrote:
That looks like a really attractive price. But they mar the wood? Do you
mean that you see a rectangle on the wood afterward, corresponding with
the edges of the clamp face? What sort of pads do you intend to put on
them

Yes my Jets, which I have had for several years, will leave an
imprint/impression on the work If I don't use a scrap piece of wood
between the clamp and the work.

None the less I ordered 2-24" and 2-31" for less than $100 shipped.
The Jets tend to have all of the best features in one clamp aside from
the above stated fact. For 50% off I can figure out a way to attach a
buffer to the clamp faces.

Woodcraft has all the Jets on sale for 50% off.
Couldn't help myself and picked up a pair of 31's and a pair of 40's.
I might actually go back for more.

Just realized I never had any 31's.
Might have to go pick up another pair.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2015 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/26/2015 8:36 AM, woodchucker wrote:
Fantastic pricing.
6 clamps for 179 Plus a bessey stool

http://www.rockler.com/bessey-pneuma...lel-clamp-pack

Thia IS a good deal but these are the Bessey JUNIOR Revo clamps.

I ended up ordering Jet, gasp, From International Tool.

I'll add pads to the faces.

http://www.internationaltool.com/spe...ign=nwlsnov15e

My bad, I wasn't interested, and I missed that. The junior are lighter
duty.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2015 11:17 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 11/26/2015 10:54 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/26/2015 8:36 AM, woodchucker wrote:
Fantastic pricing.
6 clamps for 179 Plus a bessey stool

http://www.rockler.com/bessey-pneuma...lel-clamp-pack

Thia IS a good deal but these are the Bessey JUNIOR Revo clamps.

I ended up ordering Jet, gasp, From International Tool.

I'll add pads to the faces.

http://www.internationaltool.com/spe...ign=nwlsnov15e

My bad, I wasn't interested, and I missed that. The junior are lighter
duty.

No that is still a great deal especially if you need a new stool in the
shop. ;~) I almost bit, I only wanted to add some shorter clamps to my
collection. I did not need an extra stool. And I like the bigger
clamping faces on the regular sized clamps.

I will say that the reversed color caught my eye as something different
and when I read the details I realized that they were the Juniors. I
have "1" Junior clamp and seldom use it.