Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Camera Lens Was Made Out of Wood

Very nice

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lens holder was made of wood. Though there would/may be small wood movement (expansion & contraction.... ? specific for palm wood?), I would think lens' alignment would not, may not remain stable/accurate, as climate conditions change.

Neat project, though, if for nothing else but can-do the task.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2015 9:46 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:

Very nice

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479

Pretty cool!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2015 09:46 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:

Very nice

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479

As someone who uses an all wooden field camera of this same general type, I gotta tell
you, it's the glass that's doing all the work

My camera was handmade out of QS Honduran Mahogany by the now-defunct Wisner camera
company. It's a work of art and has given me almost 2 decades of joy to use:

http://www.johndesq.com/jdp/wisner.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

The lens itself was glass, the barrel was wood. Looked like horse apple.

Martin

On 10/14/2015 9:46 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:

Very nice

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 21:46:50 -0500, Gray_Wolf
wrote:

Very nice

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479

I was a little disappointed. Used glass lens with various aperture
shims.

Had it been a pinhole camera I would have been satisfied with the
"lens made out of wood" as it is the lens was glass, not resins from
woods, or even sap.

Now the mind wanders....rose colored resin, quick frozen in a mold,
final shaping and then the timed photo. Might even be a safe war to
create a retina?

Shellac a "byproduct" of wood could make a lens.

Nice looking wood work though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice
http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479
Gray_Wolf

I love photography and years ago took way too many pics. Not sure I
would use something like that. Still nifty to see. Thanks for sharing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:11:38 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Very nice
http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479
Gray_Wolf

I love photography and years ago took way too many pics. Not sure I
would use something like that. Still nifty to see. Thanks for sharing.

When I was in college, I burned through 20 rolls of Tri-X a week. I'd
like to use one. They're great for architecture photography. It's
become another hobby I don't have time for, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2015 9:46 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:

Very nice

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479

That is very nice. More involved in actual function:
I have an ancient(1880's ?) 5x7 plate camera that was my
great-grandfather's. In that the main spring driving the shutter blades
is wood! A thin piece, looks hand carved, that gets bent when you cock
the shutter, springs back when you fire it. I've never timed it (for one
thing I just don't like to exercise it too much, it seems pretty
delicate to me) but just imagine having to take humidity into account
when "guessing" what the shutter speed will be!
Bob Wilson
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, OFWW wrote:
Gray_Wolf wrote:
http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479

I was a little disappointed. Used glass lens with various aperture
shims.

Indeed.

Had it been a pinhole camera I would have been satisfied with the
"lens made out of wood" as it is the lens was glass, not resins from
woods, or even sap.

I've got a Zeroimage (http://www.zeroimage.com/), which is a beautiful
wooden box, but the lens is 100% brass[*]. The shutter is wood, however.
I've also got an 1880s teak camera with a wooden shutter, but brass
lens holders and glass lenses. The shutter on that one sits right in
front of the plate holder and is a little larger than the plate.

Now the mind wanders....rose colored resin, quick frozen in a mold,
final shaping and then the timed photo. Might even be a safe war to
create a retina?

Shellac a "byproduct" of wood could make a lens.

This is a topic that the Homemade Lens group on flickr might be able to
offer advice about.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/homemadelens/

Elijah
------[*] will accept corrections to the effect that is is a hole in the brass