Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Wilson Robert Wilson is offline

Default Camera Lens Was Made Out of Wood

On 10/14/2015 9:46 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:

Very nice

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/this...d/#more-186479

That is very nice. More involved in actual function:
I have an ancient(1880's ?) 5x7 plate camera that was my
great-grandfather's. In that the main spring driving the shutter blades
is wood! A thin piece, looks hand carved, that gets bent when you cock
the shutter, springs back when you fire it. I've never timed it (for one
thing I just don't like to exercise it too much, it seems pretty
delicate to me) but just imagine having to take humidity into account
when "guessing" what the shutter speed will be!
Bob Wilson