Posted to rec.woodworking

Default i guess you can have too many clamps

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2015 4:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

Nope, that proves you can never have tooooo many... :-)
just picked up 2 myself this weekend at a garage sale. 2 Beefy F clamps
that you can park a tank on. Very old style. NICE.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2015 4:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 10/5/2015 4:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

Nope, that proves you can never have tooooo many... :-)
just picked up 2 myself this weekend at a garage sale. 2 Beefy F clamps
that you can park a tank on. Very old style. NICE.

I recognize at least two types in the photo, both cheap. The
blue-handled ones are Harbor Freight. People say the molded-on handles
come loose if you tighten them too hard. I haven't had that problem yet,
and seem to get adequate tightness.

The others, the ones with black jaws and wooden handles, make the HF
models look like Jorgensens. They are Ebay specials that are really
crap. I have a few of the 18" and have used them. But they are not long
for this world.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:17:29 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

Looks like they ran out of clamps as they still have open floor space.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in news:muupfh$q2s$1@dont-
email.me:

On 10/5/2015 4:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 10/5/2015 4:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

I sure hope that's some sort of school, and each of those
assemblies was clamped up by a different person. Otherwise,
what a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome.

The others, the ones with black jaws and wooden handles, make the HF
models look like Jorgensens. They are Ebay specials that are really
crap. I have a few of the 18" and have used them. But they are not long
for this world.

Yeah, I have a couple of those too - could have sworn they
came from Harbor Freight. They stay way in the back, for
those emergency "need just one more clamp" situations.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 01:37:24 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Greg Guarino wrote in news:muupfh$q2s$1@dont-
email.me:

On 10/5/2015 4:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 10/5/2015 4:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

I sure hope that's some sort of school, and each of those
assemblies was clamped up by a different person. Otherwise,
what a recipe for carpal tunnel syndrome.

The others, the ones with black jaws and wooden handles, make the HF
models look like Jorgensens. They are Ebay specials that are really
crap. I have a few of the 18" and have used them. But they are not long
for this world.

Yeah, I have a couple of those too - could have sworn they
came from Harbor Freight. They stay way in the back, for
those emergency "need just one more clamp" situations.

Ya, me too. I have some of the aluminum rail HF clamps I've kept for
the same reason. For the money that all those HF clamps cost, he could
have bought some decent clamps and not spent a day tightening clamps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2015 3:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

I think I proved that here. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 08:00:16 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/5/2015 3:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

I think I proved that here. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Nah, that just shows that you need Festool saw horses. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/6/2015 9:49 AM, krw wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 08:00:16 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/5/2015 3:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

I think I proved that here. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Nah, that just shows that you need Festool saw horses. ;-)

Well I did upgrade from Stanley, the brand that quit, to DeWalt, with
steel legs. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/6/2015 9:00 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/5/2015 3:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

I think I proved that here. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

That's pretty good if you only count quality, fancy-pants clamps.

But even a piker like me can apply enough clamps (of widely varying
quality) to obscure the project:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/8690959308/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7644207411490/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7641733510634/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/6/2015 10:29 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 10/6/2015 9:00 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/5/2015 3:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

I think I proved that here. ;~)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

That's pretty good if you only count quality, fancy-pants clamps.

But even a piker like me can apply enough clamps (of widely varying
quality) to obscure the project:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/8690959308/

LOL, before the picture focused I thought you had posted another one of
"my" glue-ups.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7644207411490/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7641733510634/

I still have a lot of those stile clamps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have both the aluminum and the F HF clamps. The new HF F clamps are
not the same as the original. The original the jaws lined up,, and the
handles did not spin out.
The aluminum ones were very nice compared to the Jets. The jet was
annodized red, but they bent really easily. The HF from late 90s are
thicker than the jets.

Like everything else, I use them in the proper places.

I would use my heavy duty F's when I need them or the many parallel jaw
clamps when they are needed.

So each has it's place.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I haven't broken any handles but with any pressure at all, they twist.
They're next to useless.

The aluminum ones were very nice compared to the Jets. The jet was
annodized red, but they bent really easily. The HF from late 90s are
thicker than the jets.

The jaws are brittle and porous. I've broken the jaws off more than
one. I can't trust them when the glue's wet, anymore.

Like everything else, I use them in the proper places.

They hang on the wall because throwing them away would cost too much.
;-)

I would use my heavy duty F's when I need them or the many parallel jaw
clamps when they are needed.

So each has it's place.

You can come and take all of my HF clamps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 3:17:35 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
you can have too many clamps

http://i.imgur.com/qaG7st3.jpg

Heresy, I say !!! Pure and blatant heresy. LOL

As Woodchucker said, having too many clamps is an impossibility. Because as sure as you get rid of (or fail to buy) any, you will find yourself one clamp short. ;-)