Posted to rec.woodworking

Default scrollsaws

On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 15:25:41 -0400
"G. Ross" wrote:

If you leave the heart (pith) in the log, it WILL split. If you
really want the wood for later use, make two lengthwise cuts, on each
side of the pith, then seal the ends. You will have two half logs,
with luck, which is better than none.

these were halved already when I got them
this oak just wanted to split

what i have learned is that this oak cannot be turned green without
splitting

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:38:38 -0700
Electric Comet wrote:

i am considering getting a scrollsaw

how are scrollsaws with cutting thick material say 1.5-4 inches thick

maybe need a more agressive blade but how do scrollsaws in general
perform with thicker stock

i just realized i have not seen any videos cutting thick stock

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

i am considering getting a scrollsaw

how are scrollsaws with cutting thick material say 1.5-4 inches thick

maybe need a more agressive blade but how do scrollsaws in general
perform with thicker stock

i just realized i have not seen any videos cutting thick stock

not very good.
I can't see 4 inches in a scroll saw. Yes for a band saw.

The largest stack of things I have cut is probably 1.5 inches thick.
Basically you stack your wood, wrap it with packing tape (which
lubricates and holds the stack together).

But 4".. NOT A SCROLL SAW.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

i am considering getting a scrollsaw

how are scrollsaws with cutting thick material say 1.5-4 inches thick

maybe need a more agressive blade but how do scrollsaws in general
perform with thicker stock

i just realized i have not seen any videos cutting thick stock

They do not do very well. I have done 2 by stock (1.5 inches) and it was
very slow going. The blade travel is not long enough to allow the saw
dust to properly clear out of the gullets.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

not going with hf and here is a quote of a review from there

"I don't know why I keep letting myself get tempted to buy worthless
tool shaped objects from HF"

LOL

Whenever passing that store, I avert my eyes. I do not like junk. Seems
like I'm always getting rid of junk, even without intentionally buying
junk. Nowadays is a good time to go with namebrand stuff and read
reviews, even if sometimes reviews are worthless or misleading. Shopping
is an art these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

Electric Comet wrote:

i am considering getting a scrollsaw

how are scrollsaws with cutting thick material say 1.5-4 inches thick

maybe need a more agressive blade but how do scrollsaws in general
perform with thicker stock

i just realized i have not seen any videos cutting thick stock

From everything I read... My problem with a scroll saw is they cannot
cut straight. Don't know why, considering a jigsaw can cut reasonably
straight. I guess none of the blades are deep/wide enough? But that
doesn't make sense.
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Doe wrote in news:mvrptu$ov0$2@dont-
email.me:

From everything I read... My problem with a scroll saw is they cannot
cut straight. Don't know why, considering a jigsaw can cut reasonably
straight. I guess none of the blades are deep/wide enough? But that
doesn't make sense.

Well, since a scroll saw is designed to cut curves, perhaps
it's not surprising they don't cut straight.

My guess would be that the very thin blades cannot be tensioned
enough to avoid flex. Even a thin bandsaw blade is much larger
than a scroll saw blade, and a bandsaw frame is vastly stiffer
than a scroll saw frame.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:

John Doe wrote:

From everything I read... My problem with a scroll saw is they cannot
cut straight. Don't know why, considering a jigsaw can cut reasonably
straight. I guess none of the blades are deep/wide enough? But that
doesn't make sense.

Well, since a scroll saw is designed to cut curves, perhaps it's not
surprising they don't cut straight.

Jigsaws are designed to cut curves, too.

It just doesn't make sense, but that's what they say. Apparently they
are assuming the straight cut is going to be made more quickly with less
care. Otherwise you couldn't make accurate curved cuts either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Professional scroll saws cut just fine. They raise the blade vertically
and pull it down vertically. Most are 'donkey' slant saw blade actions.

The jigsaw blades are just not long enough and tough enough for 4".

Martin

On 10/16/2015 6:14 PM, John McCoy wrote:
John Doe wrote in news:mvrptu$ov0$2@dont-
email.me:

From everything I read... My problem with a scroll saw is they cannot
cut straight. Don't know why, considering a jigsaw can cut reasonably
straight. I guess none of the blades are deep/wide enough? But that
doesn't make sense.

Well, since a scroll saw is designed to cut curves, perhaps
it's not surprising they don't cut straight.

My guess would be that the very thin blades cannot be tensioned
enough to avoid flex. Even a thin bandsaw blade is much larger
than a scroll saw blade, and a bandsaw frame is vastly stiffer
than a scroll saw frame.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

i am considering getting a scrollsaw

how are scrollsaws with cutting thick material say 1.5-4 inches thick

I don't think the stroke on a scroll saw will let the teeth clear with
stock 1/2" or thicker.

maybe need a more agressive blade but how do scrollsaws in general
perform with thicker stock

i just realized i have not seen any videos cutting thick stock

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/16/2015 5:20 PM, John Doe wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:

not going with hf and here is a quote of a review from there

"I don't know why I keep letting myself get tempted to buy worthless
tool shaped objects from HF"

LOL

Whenever passing that store, I avert my eyes. I do not like junk. Seems
like I'm always getting rid of junk, even without intentionally buying
junk. Nowadays is a good time to go with namebrand stuff and read
reviews, even if sometimes reviews are worthless or misleading. Shopping
is an art these days.

What you say makes sense, except for when the HF stuff is identical to
the name brand but sells for 30% of the price. As you say, shopping is
an art and you can find some gems amongst the garbage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Electric Comet wrote:

not going with hf and here is a quote of a review from there

"I don't know why I keep letting myself get tempted to buy worthless
tool shaped objects from HF"

LOL

Whenever passing that store, I avert my eyes. I do not like junk. Seems
like I'm always getting rid of junk, even without intentionally buying
junk. Nowadays is a good time to go with namebrand stuff and read
reviews, even if sometimes reviews are worthless or misleading. Shopping
is an art these days.

What you say makes sense, except for when the HF stuff is identical to
the name brand but sells for 30% of the price. As you say, shopping is
an art and you can find some gems amongst the garbage.

Yep. When everything is made in China, "name brand" is meaningless
unless the "name brand" is known to have enough experience dealing with
the Chinese to be able to get a decent product out of them--that's one
thing that the Japenese seem to do well--get decent product out of the
Chinese. If the Chinese ever figure out that to be big players with
high-value goods they need to set their _own_ quality standards rather
than building the cheapest thing they can get away with, they're going
to be dangerous. But that's a Japanese idea and given the past history
between China and Japan the Chinese are going to resist it to the end
(of course they are no different from American industry in that regard).

Posted to rec.woodworking

how are scrollsaws with cutting thick material say 1.5-4 inches thick
maybe need a more agressive blade but how do scrollsaws in general
perform with thicker stock
i just realized i have not seen any videos cutting thick stock
Electric Comet

Normally I do not cut very thick pieces but I have cut 2.5 inch thick
on my DeWalt without a problem using a larger blade and going a bit
slower. I have seen 3 inches thick cut on a DeWalt. Not sure about
other scrollsaw brands. If I need thicker than 3 inches, I just move
over to my 3-wheel tabletop bandsaw with a 1/4 inch blade.

Here are a some vids on various thick cutting...

https://youtu.be/D47Mortk5X4

https://youtu.be/YXW55S4X9zo

https://youtu.be/_PGXbgQTNv8
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

not going with hf and here is a quote of a review from there

"I don't know why I keep letting myself get tempted to buy worthless
tool shaped objects from HF"

LOL

Whenever passing that store, I avert my eyes. I do not like junk. Seems
like I'm always getting rid of junk, even without intentionally buying
junk. Nowadays is a good time to go with namebrand stuff and read
reviews, even if sometimes reviews are worthless or misleading. Shopping
is an art these days.

What you say makes sense, except for when the HF stuff is identical to
the name brand but sells for 30% of the price. As you say, shopping is
an art and you can find some gems amongst the garbage.

I haven't seen any rebranded Festools there. ;-)

I'm sure some of the stuff is the same but just because it came off
the same manufacturing line. Many appliances are made by the same
manufacturers too, but they're made to different specs. That said,
I've found some decent stuff in HF but also some real trash. Enough
trash that I no longer look seriously at the power tools. It's a
great place to buy supplies like nitrile gloves, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:06:41 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

The Japanese learned that lesson (it's not cultural). There is no
reason the Chinese can't, though there is no evidence of it yet.

The key to getting quality out of the Chinese is to sit there and
watch them do every operation. You can't test in quality but perhaps
you can test in honesty. This raises costs though, so it's less
likely to happen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

not going with hf and here is a quote of a review from there

"I don't know why I keep letting myself get tempted to buy worthless
tool shaped objects from HF"

LOL

Whenever passing that store, I avert my eyes. I do not like junk. Seems
like I'm always getting rid of junk, even without intentionally buying
junk. Nowadays is a good time to go with namebrand stuff and read
reviews, even if sometimes reviews are worthless or misleading. Shopping
is an art these days.

What you say makes sense, except for when the HF stuff is identical to
the name brand but sells for 30% of the price. As you say, shopping is
an art and you can find some gems amongst the garbage.

Yes and no.
Certainly in some cases they are the same.
But in others, sometimes they look the same, but there is a high set of
components, better bearings, better brushes, better metal in the gears.

For rebranded , they are probably the same, for some higher end stuff,
they _MAY_ have better components, and better QC.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

Better bearings or brushes maybe, but unless the gears are stock items
ordered from a catalog or the volume was immensely hight, making the
identical conformation in several different alloys would cost more than
it saved.

What they do seem to have in some cases though is plastic vs metal
gears.

For rebranded , they are probably the same, for some higher end stuff,
they _MAY_ have better components, and better QC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

i am considering getting a scrollsaw

what is the consensus here
i know there is always a consensus in harmony here

i found some info but a lot of it is a bit dated

what i know so far is that there are a few different methods for moving
the blade

not going with hf and here is a quote of a review from there

"I don't know why I keep letting myself get tempted to buy worthless
tool shaped objects from HF"
Electric Comet

You also might want to check this out...
http://scrollsawreviews.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in
:

I haven't seen any rebranded Festools there. ;-)

I'm sure some of the stuff is the same but just because it came off
the same manufacturing line. Many appliances are made by the same
manufacturers too, but they're made to different specs. That said,
I've found some decent stuff in HF but also some real trash. Enough
trash that I no longer look seriously at the power tools. It's a
great place to buy supplies like nitrile gloves, though.

I'm not spending more than $20 on a tool at HF without first hitting the
Internet for reviews. Sometimes they'll have some very similar tools and
only one will get the good reviews. If you've got a smart phone, it's all
too easy to type in the 5 digits and see what pops up.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.