Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help. I need a plexiglass idea...

I'm in the process of fabricating (wooden) display boxes for loose cigars to be used in a cigar shop humidor. The boxes are nearing completing but I'm struggling with coming up with a way to have a about a 2 1/2" x 28" strip of Plexiglas running across the front whereby some type of card can be inserted from the top to identify the different cigars. Each box has six bins and there's several boxes. I'm trying to avoid routing out six "windows" in a piece of stock, i.e., one long strip would be preferable. Is there anyone out there that can throw some ideas at me relative to design and attachment? Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/31/2015 3:51 PM, Jim wrote:
I'm in the process of fabricating (wooden) display boxes for loose
cigars to be used in a cigar shop humidor. The boxes are nearing
completing but I'm struggling with coming up with a way to have a
about a 2 1/2" x 28" strip of Plexiglas running across the front
whereby some type of card can be inserted from the top to identify
the different cigars. Each box has six bins and there's several
boxes. I'm trying to avoid routing out six "windows" in a piece of
stock, i.e., one long strip would be preferable. Is there anyone out
there that can throw some ideas at me relative to design and
attachment? Thanks.

Is that an inviolate design decision? I'd probably just use card frames
similar to

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104530635/set-of-5-antique-brass-finish-label

No work at all other than a guide template to keep then aligned while
mounting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim wrote in
:

I'm in the process of fabricating (wooden) display boxes for loose
cigars to be used in a cigar shop humidor. The boxes are nearing
completing but I'm struggling with coming up with a way to have a
about a 2 1/2" x 28" strip of Plexiglas running across the front
whereby some type of card can be inserted from the top to identify the
different cigars. Each box has six bins and there's several boxes.
I'm trying to avoid routing out six "windows" in a piece of stock,
i.e., one long strip would be preferable. Is there anyone out there
that can throw some ideas at me relative to design and attachment?

Mount that piece of plexi at the bottom with a shim. (either a very thin
shim or a very slight planing of about 2¼" of the box front)

Strive to have a "free space" behind the upper portion of the plexi that
is about 2¼ tall and then make your labels the same height. If you MUST
have 2½" high labels, then make the plexi 2 3/4" by 28".

Prepare your labels on card stock and fold it in half (I'd go with
vertical fold) so that it will "bind" a bit behind the plexi. Should
stay put and be easily removed when swapping out stock or pricing with a
toothpick or pair of tweezers