Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Death Match: Maple vs. Everlast Wood Screws - Who will survive?

I needed to throw together a sliding table for my table saw to cut some circles from a 2 x 8. (Emergency garbage can repair - the plastic wheels cracked, so I made 2 wooden ones.)

I had a scrap of maple so I cut a runner and grabbed a package of borg-bought #6 x 5/8" wood screws that I had in a drawer. I was confident that I wouldn't split the runner with the small screws so I didn't pre-drill.

The first screw went through the plywood and snugged up nicely in the maple. The second one drove down to the head and then just spun. I had to pry it out because it just spun in both directions.

When I got it out, I found this:

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psjmau4n7b.jpg

It sure shows how crappy these screws are, seeing that a piece of maple was able to strip the threads completely off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tdacon" wrote:
[...]

Still, any screw not made from Velvita should have broken, not lost its
threads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 3:28:44 PM UTC-4, tdacon wrote:
[...]

5/8" screws, full 1/4" plywood. I wasn't worried. It was just a quick job using scraps, it didn't really matter if there was a problem. 2 screws held fine, that one stripped.

(The cross cut sleds I made this winter have expanded and don't fit right now. I didn't want to spend time (or rush) fixing them today, so I threw this one together just to get the wheels made.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I needed to throw together a sliding table for my table saw to cut some circles from a 2 x 8. (Emergency garbage can repair - the plastic wheels cracked, so I made 2 wooden ones.)

I had a scrap of maple so I cut a runner and grabbed a package of borg-bought #6 x 5/8" wood screws that I had in a drawer. I was confident that I wouldn't split the runner with the small screws so I didn't pre-drill.

The first screw went through the plywood and snugged up nicely in the maple. The second one drove down to the head and then just spun. I had to pry it out because it just spun in both directions.

When I got it out, I found this:

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psjmau4n7b.jpg

It sure shows how crappy these screws are, seeing that a piece of maple was able to strip the threads completely off.

If you could read Spanish, it says de Cabeza-- Only to be used in cabbage.

--
GW Ross

I'm so old, restaurants want payment
in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 11:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I needed to throw together a sliding table for my table saw to cut
some circles from a 2 x 8. (Emergency garbage can repair - the
plastic wheels cracked, so I made 2 wooden ones.)

cutting circles on a table saw and making wheels for a trashcan

at least two points get added to your woodworking fu

the trashcan flap that swings to allow placing trash in it got lost so i
made a new one from some redwood

well i had to add an accent of aromatic cedar along the peak