Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Solar Guy

You guys are going to love this. I bought the Delta 305 back 8-10 years
ago at Crappy Tire.
I purchased it to rerun My square D white pine 10"x6" logs, some are 3 ft
and some are 20 ft.
Yes I know I need a industrial planner but on My budget it isn't happening.
Now the dilemma, It feeds Ok but fails to pull the log through the
machine.
I have to assist it which becomes very labour intensive.
Is there any way to have the rollers modified with a substance to grab the
log better?
Even with multiple light passes I still have to push.
It is not laboring the cutter head but certainly doesn't pull these logs
through.
I don't care @ $199. cost if I burn this thing out, as long as it does all
My logs board feet
with several knives I will still be ahead of the game.
Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, Smeg wrote:

Now the dilemma, It feeds Ok but fails to pull the log through the
machine.

Does this happen with all the logs or with just the longer, heavier ones? I suppose, with just the longer, heavier ones.

I have to assist it which becomes very labour intensive.
Is there any way to have the rollers modified with a substance to grab the
log better?

Have you tried an extended outfeed roller, 8' to 12' from the planer, to lift the front end of the longer logs, as the rear of the logs are planed.

I'm also visualizing your logs have one face flat (to be planed) and the rest of the log is live edged, i.e., uneven, for the planer rollers to grasp it properly, consistantly. I could see it jamming if the small end, of a log, is run through the planer, first.

Two other options: 1) have a pro shop joint the faces on a 12" jointer or 2) use a powered hand planer and finish/cleanup with a belt sander....

*Wondering, how perfectly planed do the faces need to be?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Think about this, "you" are strong enough to lift the work and help push it
through and that is labor intensive for you. Your dinky planer is not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Smeg wrote:
[...]

Amen! You want to move big pidces through your planer, either buy a bigger
planer or build an infeed and out feed for it. Is there really anything
outside of what the manual of this planer describes, that would justify this
post?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2015 11:10 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
Smeg wrote:
[...]

And while I am saying the following statement with my tongue firmly
planted in my cheek....

It would probably be easier on the long pieces to suspend them, mount
the planer on one end, and let the planer walk its way along the length
of the timber.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

And while I am saying the following statement with my tongue firmly
planted in my cheek....

It would probably be easier on the long pieces to suspend them, mount
the planer on one end, and let the planer walk its way along the
length of the timber.

Sounds like how a hand plane works. I've got one of those... No um...
4...5...uh oh I'm infected with hand plane colletion disease! It's been
months since I got a new one... I need a fix. Anyone got a #192?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Sonny , Smeg wrote:
cedarsonny wrote:

Does this happen with all the logs or with just the longer, heavier ones?

I suppose, with just the longer, heavier ones.
Have you tried an extended outfeed roller, 8' to 12' from the planer, to

li
ft the front end of the longer logs, as the rear of the logs are planed.
I'm also visualizing your logs have one face flat (to be planed) and the

re
st of the log is live edged, i.e., uneven, for the planer rollers to grasp

it properly, consistantly. I could see it jamming if the small end, of a

log, is run through the planer, first.
Two other options: 1) have a pro shop joint the faces on a 12" jointer or

2) use a powered hand planer and finish/cleanup with a belt sander....
*Wondering, how perfectly planed do the faces need to be?
Sonny

Longer logs but I just purchased 4 roller stands so should be easier now.
The logs a square D and are flat on both sides.
They don't have to be perfect just taking off less than 1/4 inch off each
side using about 4-6 passes very lightly on each side.
They have been sitting about ten years now and weathered on the outside
and a bit punky, they have come up very nicely and grain is showing
through. Will use hand power planer on bottoms and tops, they are factory
cut T&G

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Leon , Smeg wrote:
lcb11211 wrote:

Think about this, "you" are strong enough to lift the work and help push

it
through and that is labor intensive for you. Your dinky planer is not.
If it cannot grip tight enough to feed the work "and" cut, you are

asking
too much. These type planers will marginally cut 10" wide on stock that

is
3/4" thick let alone have the power to feed something 8 times heavier.

Yes I know I am asking too much from My dinky planner but it's working and
I just purchase 4 stand rollers. It may burn out eventually but as I wrote
earlier for $199. on sale who cares.
I set it so hardly nothing comes off the 1st two passes but it more trues
the surface. I have done about 20 logs so far and haven't had to spin the
blades as of Yet. I am surprised at the quality of the finish product.
Thanks for You input.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/24/2015 8:44 AM, Smeg wrote:

Yes I know I am asking too much from My dinky planner but it's working and
I just purchase 4 stand rollers. It may burn out eventually but as I wrote
earlier for $199. on sale who cares. I set it so hardly nothing comes
off the 1st two passes but it more trues
the surface. I have done about 20 logs so far and haven't had to spin the
blades as of Yet. I am surprised at the quality of the finish product.

As said, it's too much to expect of the planer to move that much
material thru it; as you've noted it's not the actual planing that's too
much for the machine but the material movement.

Somewhat on the vein of Leon's earlier suggestion, rig up a power-feed
assist. A 12V winch with some proper pulley sizing to get an
appropriate speed would be one way...

That load would put a strain on my old Rockwell/Delta Model 13 which is
the industrial-strength old small planer...