Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Threaded inserts in particle board

Should I also use Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue or Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) to prevent the threaded inserts from twisting/pulling out of particle board?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/21/2015 11:48 AM, gary wrote:
Should I also use Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue or Super Glue
(cyanoacrylate) to prevent the threaded inserts from twisting/pulling
out of particle board?

Don't think either'll make any difference; if want to try anything, an
epoxy _might_ help a little but I'd guess even that would be marginal at
best.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2015 12:48 PM, gary wrote:
Should I also use Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue or Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) to prevent the threaded inserts from twisting/pulling out of particle board?

C/A... Carpenter glue won't really bond to the brass. But C/A will bond
to both particle board and brass making it difficult for the insert to
move at all. you can wick thin C/A in after the fact, or use thick c/A b4 .

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2015 12:48 PM, gary wrote:
Should I also use Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue or Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) to prevent the threaded inserts from twisting/pulling out of particle board?

Thin CA will wick through the fibers and reinforce them somewhat and it
will adhere to clean metal quite well. Wood turners have used thin CA for
years to strengthen weak and semi-rotted wood and it seems to work pretty well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks!