Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pre-hung exterior door

a minor challenge but i took my time installing a pre-hung door but now i
have two small pieces left that i am unsure about

the 1" x 2" square and 1/8" to 1/4" thick and tapered and they are made
from the same material that the door seals are made of

i am going to look at the door again tomorrow and maybe it will jump out

Posted to rec.woodworking

1" x 2" square and 1/8" to 1/4" thick and tapered

Shims? I would think shims would be a little longer, though. *Maybe they're "economy" shims.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/15 12:33 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
a minor challenge but i took my time installing a pre-hung door but
now i have two small pieces left that i am unsure about

the 1" x 2" square and 1/8" to 1/4" thick and tapered and they are
made from the same material that the door seals are made of

i am going to look at the door again tomorrow and maybe it will jump
out

Probably corner seals. Bottom left and right between the jam and door
sides. Supposed to help keep out water at those two trouble spots.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 1:39:14 AM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
a minor challenge but i took my time installing a pre-hung door but now i
have two small pieces left that i am unsure about

the 1" x 2" square and 1/8" to 1/4" thick and tapered and they are made
from the same material that the door seals are made of

i am going to look at the door again tomorrow and maybe it will jump out

Did the time you took include reading the install instructions?

Did the instructions mention these items:

http://www.diydoorstore.com/Universa...ad-_p_311.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Did the time you took include reading the install instructions?

If it was like most things now-a-days the "instructions" were
a bunch of illustrations that might as well have been Egyptian
hieroglyphics for all the useful instruction they conveyed.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 9:13:03 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Probably corner seals. Bottom left and right between the jam and door
sides. Supposed to help keep out water at those two trouble spots.

-MIKE-

I'm no contractor and it's been a long time since I installed a door & frame. I don't foresee installing one any time soon.

I had never heard of these corner seals. Good to know! Thanks.

I Googled them and watched the first two YouTube videos, only... no further reading. I'm still not sure how to install them. Will study more, later.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 5, 2015 at 1:52:38 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Did the time you took include reading the install instructions?

If it was like most things now-a-days the "instructions" were
a bunch of illustrations that might as well have been Egyptian
hieroglyphics for all the useful instruction they conveyed.

John

I guess it depends on the quality of the door you buy. The following doc is similar to the instructions that came with the ThermaTru doors that I installed a few years ago. Step 9 details the installation of their version of the Corner Seal Pads.

http://www.thermatru.com/pdfs/instal...nstruction.pdf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 09:13:01 -0500
-MIKE- wrote:

Probably corner seals. Bottom left and right between the jam and door
sides. Supposed to help keep out water at those two trouble spots.

this makes sense
i think you are right

i will have to dry fit and see if i agree with the implementation because
i cannot see how they would help out much

this door also has an adjustable sill which i have never seen

i fiddled with it but it makes no sense when it would be used because
it raises only the part of the sill that the door seals to

if there's a gap at the bottom then there's a gap at top and seems to
me that the entire door and frame needs to be adjusted but maybe
i am missing the point of the adjustable sill

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Probably corner seals. Bottom left and right between the jam and door
sides. Supposed to help keep out water at those two trouble spots.

this makes sense
i think you are right

i will have to dry fit and see if i agree with the implementation because
i cannot see how they would help out much

this door also has an adjustable sill which i have never seen

i fiddled with it but it makes no sense when it would be used because
it raises only the part of the sill that the door seals to

Once again, I have to ask:

Did your read the installation instructions? This is from Step 8 of the ThermaTru instruction document found at:

http://www.thermatru.com/pdfs/instal...nstruction.pdf

"Your door unit may have an adjustable threshold cap. When properly adjusted, it should be snug and slightly difficult to pull a dollar bill out from under the door when it is fully closed. The dollar bill should be able to be removed without tearing.

This check should be performed at each adjustment screw location. After adjusting the threshold cap, ensure that the weatherstrip is flush with the top of the threshold cap. Trim as necessary."

if there's a gap at the bottom then there's a gap at top and seems to
me that the entire door and frame needs to be adjusted but maybe
i am missing the point of the adjustable sill

The top of the door is sealed by the weather stripping on the jamb. The door closes against it, just like on the sides. A slight gap between the top of the door and the part of the jamb that faces downward is not an issue because the face of the door is sealed against the jamb's weather stripping.

You can't have that same weather stripping on the bottom because users would trip over it. The adjustable sill raises the sill up to the bottom of the door to seal it, since you can't seal the face against the jamb.

If installed properly, it should only take a slight adjustment, not enough to become a tripping hazard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2015 12:33 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
a minor challenge but i took my time installing a pre-hung door but now i
have two small pieces left that i am unsure about

the 1" x 2" square and 1/8" to 1/4" thick and tapered and they are made
from the same material that the door seals are made of

i am going to look at the door again tomorrow and maybe it will jump out

If the door jam is not hung properly these shims are meant to be placed
between the jam and the weather strip. The shim pushes the weather
strip out towards the edge of the door to close any gaps, especially if
you see any sun light when the door is closed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do they have stickum on them?
I think you describe the insulation seals that the door seals do not
complete, and are attached where there is an air leak.
John