Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

Default Need advice on installing a pre-hung door.

I plan to install a door this weekend into an opening the correct
width. The plan is to stain and varnish the door.

1. Should I install the door and then take the door off and lay it on
carpeted saw-horses and then sand, stain, seal, varnish ?

2. Sand, stain, seal, varnish and then try to install ?

The hardware is polished brass, I want antique, brass. How hard is it
to change the hardware ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 11:08*am, sid wrote:
I plan to install a door this weekend into an opening the correct
width. The plan is to stain and varnish the door.

1. Should I install the door and then take the door off and lay it on
carpeted saw-horses and then sand, stain, seal, varnish ?

2. Sand, stain, seal, varnish and then try to install ?

The hardware is polished brass, I want antique, brass. *How hard is it
to change the hardware ?

Thanks

I completely hang the doors first, then remove and stain/seal the door
slab on saw horses, then putty/sand/stain/seal the installed jambs.
Never stain/seal the whole door slab while it is verticle, or you'll
get drip marks. Hardware is pretty easy to change out, bring one of
the hinges to the store and match it up size-wise as best you can.
The knob is standard, so any knob will fit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message
I plan to install a door this weekend into an opening the correct
width. The plan is to stain and varnish the door.

1. Should I install the door and then take the door off and lay it on
carpeted saw-horses and then sand, stain, seal, varnish ?

2. Sand, stain, seal, varnish and then try to install ?

The hardware is polished brass, I want antique, brass. How hard is it
to change the hardware ?

Thanks

You're talking about an outside door? I'll assume so....

Your decision but I'd install and finish it. That way you can do both sides
at once. If your weather conditions outside don't allow that, I'd finish it
inside then install. We get some dry wind-free days here that I wouldn't
hesitate to do the job outside. But in windy areas I wouldn't chance it

Changing door hardware is as easy as it looks. If you can't change door
hardware you really should have a pro install your jamb.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Oct 7, 11:22*am, "Master Betty" wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry I did not mention that this is an interior door.
If I plan to comeback and install Pergo flooring, should I install the
jam and set it on the floor, leave the moldings off and then cut them
to fit on top of the finished floor ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

[...]

It's not just the moldings - you'll have to cut the jambs too.

Go ahead and install the door (with moldings). When you're ready for the
floor, cut everything to size with a Multifunction tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sid" wrote in message

[...]

floor, cut everything to size with a Multifunction tool.- Hide quoted text -

You don't *need* a mulifunction tool, especially if you're only
hanging 1 door.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...g-233657/view/
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

[...]

the floor, cut everything to size with a Multifunction tool.- Hide
quoted text -

You don't *need* a mulifunction tool, especially if you're only
hanging 1 door.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...g-233657/view/

Using a hand saw. How quaint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sid sid is offline

On Oct 7, 5:20*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
"sid" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...or-jamb-to-ins...

Using a hand saw. How quaint.- Hide quoted text -

Who do you think carries better pine doors ? Menards or HomeDepot ?